Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    The weather is not cooperating for more testing. I was possibly going out later this week, but I'm sure glad I'm not!!! 30-40s, rain, and warm lows as well. I'm sticking with my original plan of new years in the woods! Should be cooling down nicely and I look forward to testing since it will be either 4 or 5 nights in the cold.
    Yeah, bummer. Warm weather this time of the year really sucks.

Wish I could spend New Year's eve in the woods but wife has other plans. At least I was there for winter solstice, and I'm proud to say I was hydrating the vegetation at 11:19pm when it arrived.

But I'll be out again before the year ends so all's well, although I'll be using autumn kit since it'll be so warm.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    A Frankenstein Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    Beautiful sunrise pic! I’ve been wanting to try out one of those palaces. But no coffee??? ****. That’s the whole reason I go for that one hour in the morning. Haha! But seriously- can’t wait to get camping. Thanks for the inspo!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    lol that was sunset, but thanks! There is in fact a good sized hill on the east side that blocks the sun in the morning so it remains pretty nippy well past dawn.

No coffee in the morning and I get a serious headache. I just packed up and walked out without breakfast so I could go to a local deli in Sloatsburg for my morning caffeine fix.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Well, cmoulder, I guess you learned something important on that trip- pack the coffee FIRST!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm definitely going to stash some of those Via packets in my medical/repair kit!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Tested the Tychem suit two nights ago. Only lasted 45 minutes. Simply too warm starting at 28°. It got down to 14° and my TQ was soaked at 3am, so I wish I could have stuck with it for testing purposes. But I had no problem using the VB liner (basically just a huge drybag) earlier in the winter with warmish 20s to start.

This wouldn't be a bad setup. Easy to put on, built-in booties, elastic around wrists, hood. So only my face and hands are exposed.

Images

Tested the Tychem suit two nights ago. Only lasted 45 minutes. Simply too warm starting at 28°. It got down to 14° and my TQ was soaked at 3am, so I wish I could have stuck with it for testing purposes. But I had no problem using the VB liner (basically just a huge drybag) earlier in the winter with warmish 20s to start.

This wouldn't be a bad setup. Easy to put on, built-in booties, elastic around wrists, hood. So only my face and hands are exposed.
    OK, I see this one now. Too hot at 28, understandable. But your quilt was soaked? You said elsewhere the moisture comes out of your quilt threads. So it got past this suit?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, I see this one now. Too hot at 28, understandable. But your quilt was soaked? You said elsewhere the moisture comes out of your quilt threads. So it got past this suit?
    I only left this on for 45 minutes. Just too warm at 28° to start so I couldn't sleep. I'll try again next winter.

Images
    I only left this on for 45 minutes. Just too warm at 28° to start so I couldn't sleep. I'll try again next winter.
    OK, got it, that makes sense. What might have worked if you wanted to bother, or just to experiment for fun: VB suit, warm clothes, no quilt.

Images
    OneClick, I think you are going to win the contest for- VB or no VB/all category- the most struggle with wet TQ. And then you win hands down for mystery source of moisture: apparently not from breath, but observed coming out from the threads of the TQ shell, but only in a few specific areas. And yet, despite all that, maybe there was at least one wet night using a VB liner, leaving open the question: is it from your condensing breath? It has been a mystery winter. But maybe you feel you have determined the problem?

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast