Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageddon View Post
    Hey guys it’s me! I finally got to test a vb in action... 15 degrees, 25mph winds 1/8 mile off Lake Superior in the UP. Cold AF!!!! I did it the easy way a contractors garbage bag. All I can say is thank god for that garbage bag. It kept me warm and dry. The diff between my legs and shoulders was intense. Convinced me to buy a complete vb liner for my set up. Swinging in the wind, survived a downright cold night.
    Good deal! I highly recommend the $25 liner from Equinox.

Review thread: Equinox Vapor Barrier Liner

I have been using VB's in one form or another since the mid 80's. I was introduced to them through Robert Wood's book, The 2oz Backpacker. Though I have pushed their use and failed a few times, they have mostly worked exceptionally well for me. I tried a bag liner once, and found it to be a miserable experience. That was very early on. Since then, I have used VB clothing instead, and found it to work very well for me. Plastic bags on the feet, and an old "sweatsuit" I found in a sporting goods store worked for many years. About 10 years ago a friend told me about Warmlite, and I ordered some stuff from them. I had actually heard of them from Wood, but forgot about them and was amazed to hear they were still in business. I have the shirt, gloves and socks, and am very happy with the stuff. The socks though, are really only good for sleeping, as the bulk and cut are terrible. Probably a requirement of the material, given the lack of elasticity.

I used them for the past two nights out hanging in my backyard. It wasn't very cold, but it got down to 36 F. I'm a very cold sleeper, and can assume that any quilt rating will only be good to 10 or 15 degrees warmer than listed. The warmlite stuff kept me toasty all night, with just a thin fleece on top, and thin merino long John's on the bottom. 30 degree Katabatic TQ, and a JRB Graylock 3 on the bottom.

That's obviously not a record for cold or for increased warmth, but for me, it is a big deal. My feet are cold at those temps, no matter what insulation I use. Yet the addition of the VB socks, allowed my TQ to do its job and keep me toasty. My feet felt a little clammy all night, but when I took my socks off in the morning, there was no moisture on them or in the socks that I could feel. Also none on my torso. The Warmlite shirt, ugly as sin, is very comfortable for me and just plain works.

I should add, I think insulation over the vb is essential. I read a few posts that seemed to say that it might be optional, but in my experience, the vb needs to stay warm to work properly. Ymmv, idk.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    I should add, I think insulation over the vb is essential. I read a few posts that seemed to say that it might be optional, but in my experience, the vb needs to stay warm to work properly. Ymmv, idk.
    Hey, welcome to the forum, SLG45! And glad to have another hanger with plenty of VB experience!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey, welcome to the forum, SLG45! And glad to have another hanger with plenty of VB experience!
    Thanks very much! I don't know that I qualify as having lots of experience, but I have messed with them some, and found them to be very useful.

I think one reason some people don't like them, or can't even wrap their brain around using them, has to do with the environment they picture in their head, or are in. In deep dry snow, they are probably not as useful, though I would still want them for sleeping. Obviously in warmer, more humid climes they are not that useful.

If I am static, I can use them up into the 50's for sure. If I am moving, I really want it to be below freezing, sometimes way below freezing. Unless I'm just poking around, then I can use them up to maybe 40 even. Windy helps too.

Images
    Mr. Wood also wrote another book- "Backpacking in the 80's" which has extensive information on using vapor barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Mr. Wood also wrote another book- "Backpacking in the 80's" which has extensive information on using vapor barriers.
    I don't know if it's the same or not, but I have a book of his called something like Pleasure Packing for the 90's (maybe 80's, I don't remember for sure). I've been looking for it for a week and cant find it. As you said, much more detail on vb compared to the 2 oz backpacker.

Looked it up. Just called Pleasure Packing.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    224 days til winter! If I end up doing any cold trips without the hot tent next winter I'll use the VB liner again. Zero drafts, dry quilts, the entire body shares the same warmth. It really is a huge win if you can get past a little claustrophobia and slight clamminess.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It’s cold enough outside right now to qualify for winter....
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast