Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Newly to Western Mass

Looking for friends, and advice on hanging in the Northeast. I have some gear, but would like some insight to staying warm in the Northeast. Any help would be appreciated

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by WUGGIT View Post
    Looking for friends, and advice on hanging in the Northeast. I have some gear, but would like some insight to staying warm in the Northeast. Any help would be appreciated
    My last trip this season was a few weeks ago to the DAR hang in Goshen, MA. It got down to the 30s and I was toasty in my 20 degree JRB Underquilt with a 15 degree mummy bag used as a topquilt.

What gear do you have and what is your camping season? Are you car camping, backpacking, or (like me) kayaking mostly?
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    The Northeast is a big area. Western MA is a long way from northern Maine or New Hampshire both geographically and climatologically, so narrowing down where you want to go will help.

Most of my hiking is in the White Mountains and I normally use my 20-degree quilts from late June through September. I also usually avoid hiking in July and early August. In the shoulder seasons (May and October-November) I usually use my 0-degree UQ with my 20 degree TQ. New England weather is also variable. I've been down into the low 20s in late may and had overnights in the 60s in October, and seen wet snow in June. So let us know where and when you think you might be going and we might be able to be more specific.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Hi Wuggit! Welcome to the wonderful Pioneer Valley. I am not too far from you. In fact, there are quite a few of us Western MA types hanging around. You are welcome to come to the Winter NEHHA hang, there you will find all sorts of info on winter camping and other people will have extra gear to lend you if you need it. just go to the Northeast outings section and look for the NEHHA trip. I believe it is January 4th (first weekend in January). It will be in Chesterfield so not far from where you live. Where were you living before? Someplace warm?

• + New Posts