Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot

Dyneema dog bones for bridge suspension?

Anyone ever make dog bones out of dyneema webbing? Lighter than amsteel just not sure how they hold up to Dutch bridge ends hardware.
    And is it possible to use a dyneema loop instead of amsteel CL?
    So... Dyneema Tree strap to dyneema CL to dyneema bridge dog bones.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It's hard to imagine there would be that much difference in weight just replacing the 7/64 standard AmSteel - sure there would be some. But you'd get far more weight saving - at far more cost - by swapping out the aluminum spreader poles and using carbon fiber.

One thing that interests me - and I haven't seen any "studies" about this - is making the apex point of the Ridge Runner shorter. As it is, I've been told about 13 feet is usually the distance from apex point to apex point. If the two suspension lines making the triangle were shorter, it would put more compression pressure on the spreader poles and I've read about them breaking if the suspension length is modified too much.

I don't know about the strength of CF in that situation. if carbon poles would be lighter AND allow me to shorten the suspension, they would be a serious replacement consideration.

It's just me but I am fussy about line to line connections. It comes from rock climbing where I'd see people pull a perlon rope through a nylon sling. The heat generated seemed like it would crystalize the webbing. After repelling off a climb, you could barely hold your repell device because it was so hot from friction. With that history, even though the rigging on a hammock is not moving, I don't like to attach line to line. I always put a carabiner or some kind of ring or other hardware between the two pieces of line.

The nice thing about the ring is it allow me to easily swap out suspension styles - webbing/line/whoopies/daisy chain - and make a water break. Sure it is more weight. But I'm not chasing a few ounces. For the distances and pace I hike, it won't make any difference. (Note: I'm a geezer; I hiked the PCT through Oregon with boots that were heavier than my pack today. The movie Wild was very accurate in that regard. Our boots were that heavy; our packs were that big - though not filled with all the useless stuff she had. I'm not afraid of a little weight - though there is nothing wrong with getting off on ultralite).
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-05-2018 at 19:22.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    ...One thing that interests me - and I haven't seen any "studies" about this - is making the apex point of the Ridge Runner shorter....
    You can shorten the suspension triangles some. It does increase the forces on the spreader bars a bit and the hammock becomes a little more unstable but is still good.

We played with this 6 years ago when the RR was new.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-of-RR-Bridge

I tree climb and while an 85' repel can heat things up, I have no concerns making direct rope/rope, rope/webbing connections in my hammock systems.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by BodhiKnight View Post
    Anyone ever make dog bones out of dyneema webbing? Lighter than amsteel just not sure how they hold up to Dutch bridge ends hardware.
    And is it possible to use a dyneema loop instead of amsteel CL?
    So... Dyneema Tree strap to dyneema CL to dyneema bridge dog bones.
    Dynaglide weighs .8g per foot.
    7/64" Amsteel weighs 1.3g per foot.

Dutch's super neato lightest ever is 1.5g per foot.
    About the only webbing that weighs less would be the 1/2" Kevlar at .6g per foot.

I use dynaglide on my SUL bridges. At 1000lbs vs the 550lbs for kevlar you're at a very slight weight difference for several advantages. (Spliced connection vs sewn, easy to eliminate hardware, etc).

The SUL suspension I use is a minimimal hugger built with 1" Dyneema strap. of roughly 5' with dynaglide whoopies and soft shackles.

I would not suggest anyone reduce the size of the legs on a bridge unless you understand what you're doing.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    It's hard to imagine there would be that much difference in weight just replacing the 7/64 standard AmSteel - sure there would be some. But you'd get far more weight saving - at far more cost - by swapping out the aluminum spreader poles and using carbon fiber.

One thing that interests me - and I haven't seen any "studies" about this - is making the apex point of the Ridge Runner shorter. As it is, I've been told about 13 feet is usually the distance from apex point to apex point. If the two suspension lines making the triangle were shorter, it would put more compression pressure on the spreader poles and I've read about them breaking if the suspension length is modified too much.

I don't know about the strength of CF in that situation. if carbon poles would be lighter AND allow me to shorten the suspension, they would be a serious replacement consideration.

It's just me but I am fussy about line to line connections. It comes from rock climbing where I'd see people pull a perlon rope through a nylon sling. The heat generated seemed like it would crystalize the webbing. After repelling off a climb, you could barely hold your repell device because it was so hot from friction. With that history, even though the rigging on a hammock is not moving, I don't like to attach line to line. I always put a carabiner or some kind of ring or other hardware between the two pieces of line.

The nice thing about the ring is it allow me to easily swap out suspension styles - webbing/line/whoopies/daisy chain - and make a water break. Sure it is more weight. But I'm not chasing a few ounces. For the distances and pace I hike, it won't make any difference. (Note: I'm a geezer; I hiked the PCT through Oregon with boots that were heavier than my pack today. The movie Wild was very accurate in that regard. Our boots were that heavy; our packs were that big - though not filled with all the useless stuff she had. I'm not afraid of a little weight - though there is nothing wrong with getting off on ultralite).
    Certainly haven't published them; but Grizz has some guidelines about dogbone to pole ratios for folks of reasonable weight and I have my own formulas that I use.

But unless Brandon wants to publish some numbers I would strongly discourage folks to avoid modifying the length. The RR uses a very shallow head end which generally increases compression on the head poles, which is one reason the Apex to Apex distance is longer than other end bar designs. End bars are more economical but long pitch distance is a downside.

If anything- unless you go overboard on pole diameter with the Carbon Fiber poles they are not stronger.

By far the biggest jump you can get is CF poles... no point in negating that by reducing dogbone length.

And yes... somewhere there is someone who gets away with less. Always a good idea to ask what they weigh before you accept the anecdotal success they have

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    The SUL suspension I use is a minimimal hugger built with 1" Dyneema strap. of roughly 5' with dynaglide whoopies and soft shackles.

I like this idea!

• + New Posts