DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES

First Ever Canoe Trip - La Verendrye

My aunt has been a member of the Ottawa Outdoor Club (OOC) for years and invited me to join them on this year’s Labour Day long weekend canoe trip to La Verendrye Wildlife Reserve in Quebec. I figured this would be a great way to experience my first ever canoe trip, travelling with skilled paddlers.

Thursday: I flew from my home in London, Ontario to my aunt’s place in Gatineau, Quebec.

Friday: This morning we drove to the OOC storage unit where the club’s equipment is stored. Here we met the other 3 members of the group that would be joining us, loaded up the canoes and departed for the park at around 1pm (a later start than I would have liked). From this point we were about a 3 hour drive to the park office. We did not have a route pre-planned so we stopped at the park office for our permits and to speak with staff for a route suggestion. After some discussion we decided on route 70 at the far end of the park.

La Verendrye Route 70.jpg

After another 2 hours of driving we finally arrived at the put-in spot at around 7pm due to our late start and many stops along the way. Luckily for us there is a campsite at the put-in spot. Time for my first ever backcountry hang in my recently purchased Jacks ‘R’ Better Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.

IMG_0696.jpg

Saturday: After a quick breakfast and breaking down camp it was finally time to get on the water. We paddled for about an hour and a half or so upstream before reaching our first portage. After an easy 120m portage and quick snack it was time to get back in the water, and this is where our leisurely trip turned interesting. The first half of our route was upstream, so this portage had us putting in at the top of a class 3 rapid. In hindsight, we should have had our strongest paddler in the stern but we pushed off from shore and got our nose too far into the current and were immediately spun around. We paddled as hard as we could towards the opposite shore but it was too late, we hit a rock and were overturned. I was lucky and came up close enough to shore that I was able to swim and escape but my aunt ended up riding the entire length of the rapids down.

Amazingly nobody was seriously hurt and nothing was lost or damaged except for the canoe. After collecting all of our gear from the water we decided this was enough adventure for today. We would setup camp for the night and make a game plan for getting out the next morning.

20180902_124239.jpg

Sunday: After a long rainy night it was time to work on getting out of the park. We had decided that it was our responsibility to get the damaged canoe out of the park so we began collecting downed logs to fashion a raft. This worked surprisingly well and actually made decent time dragging the raft back to the cars with the remaining canoe. The rest of the day was spent shuttling our group back and forth from the portage spot to the cars. We spent the final night camping back at the cars.

Monday: Today was spent driving out of the park. We stopped at the park office on the way out to inform them of our accident and come to find out that this route is considered an expert route. We are clearly no experts!

The flight home was spent pondering whether I was going to cancel my Algonquin trip in a few weeks or get right back on the horse.

I did end up taking that Algonquin trip and ended up with another story to tell.

Thank you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow, that was a tough way to get your first taste of paddling. I'd recommend a more calm route the next time Thanks for sharing and glad you're ok.

Images
    I love wilderness canoe trips but I am a flat water paddler. Thanks for sharing. Love the picture.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Lessons learned. The bow paddler is the motor and ideally the stern paddler should be the more skilled one at manoeuvring although in high difficulty rapids both paddlers need to know what to do. Glad to hear that the only casualty was the canoe. How did the hammock work out?
    Last edited by Bubba; 11-04-2018 at 11:00.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

That's a crazy introduction to canoe tripping! But considering everyone is ok, I'll be honest its the crazy, extreme and "bad" stuff that tend to make the best memories and stories to tell. I started canoe tripping 4 or 5 years ago and honestly regret not doing it my entire life, I love it so much. Most of the trip stories me and my friends tell involve insanely hard portages, huge wind, waves, rain or hail storms, nasty mosquitoes etc. Overcoming the obstacles brings with it pride of accomplishment that to me more then make up for the bad stuff.

I too had a bad Labor day trip this year. I'm the reverse of you, I live in Quebec but trip mostly in Algonquin Ontario (I enjoy fishing and Quebec parks want to charge per species daily permits... no thank you.). Was supposed to have a 4 day trip with a friend but he ended up canceling last minute so it became a solo trip and I got fairly sick on the first night so to be safe it became a 2 day trip... I make trip reports mostly to show friends and family (just raw footage no fancy editing) but if your curious here is my labor day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_gTYSHmqas&t=8s

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Wow, that's a harrowing story. Your aunt's a lucky lady after surviving a swim in the rapids unscathed!

I'm glad you got right back out there though and hope your Algonquin report will be a little less "exciting".
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Wow! Glad you're OK. I thought those aluminum canoes where indestructible. Guess not.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Well you have definitely earned a merit badge for that trip. I’ve got to congratulate you on a job well done for keeping your head down and ploughing through the challenges. I’m looking forward to a report on how your next trip went.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Senior Member StrungUpNewfoundlander's Avatar
    Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL
    Tarp
    LSOH FireFly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch Bits
    Images
    Class III is no fun backwards (unless you're doing it intentionally and therefore a way better paddler than I am). Glad it all worked out. You're lucky.

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Lessons learned. The bow paddler is the motor and ideally the stern paddler should be the more skilled one at manoeuvring although in high difficulty rapids both paddlers need to know what to do. Glad to hear that the only casualty was the canoe. How did the hammock work out?
    The hammock worked out great. I used a Thermarest Neoair Xlite and Costco down throw for under insulation. The pad worked out nicely as it prevented the shoulder squeeze I notice when only using an underquilt. My only real complaint with this hammock is that the spreader bars rub on my tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast