Tarp
    HG Quest 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ 30, AHE 4S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch Bug

Harriman State Park - an overnight backpacking trip in NY

Here's an imgur album of the trip. https://imgur.com/a/snbfR26

Had a quick overnight to Harriman State Park in NY state - just about an hour northwest of New York City. Loaded up the ULA Circuit with my hammock, quilts, alcohol stove, freeze-dried dinner, coffee, and the pipe (tobacco!). I've been hammocking about 5 years, and at this point have my rig pretty dialed-in. Got down to ~38º and I stayed plenty warm in my 30º Hammock Gear quilts, thanks in part to Dutch's winter sock and my Hammock Gear xenon hex tarp breaking the wind.

I also really like Dutch's new cinch bugs. Was using the strap/toggle/whoopie system for a while but it's just too many things to fuss with. I can pretty much leave the cinch bugs in one spot and the slings go right over them.

Got a chance to finish photographing all the shelters of Harriman State Park. On this trip I captured Tom Jones Shelter and Bald Rocks Shelter. That album can be found here - https://imgur.com/a/Y14N0QM

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I love Harriman SP. I was up there for a corporate training and planned a 2 nighter on the trail after the course. I hikes out to the bald rock shelter as a brand new hammocker, set up and the hammock sagged lower than expected caught on one of those granite rocks and zip I was on the ground. Cold 30 deg wind. Brr that was a long night. But loved the scenery and the whole area.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For anyone thinking of hiking Harriman, right now is peak for fall colors, and this coming weekend will be last of the primo-est stuff.

Photo made Monday near the intersection of Long Path and Menomine trails:Harriman_fall_leaves_rock_SMALL.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Hexon 1.6 DL
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ 30, AHE 4S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I was on the ground. Cold 30 deg wind. Brr that was a long night.
    Sounds pretty rough! I probably would have trekked out under those circumstances...if there's one thing I'm not up for it's a cold night.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For anyone thinking of hiking Harriman, right now is peak for fall colors, and this coming weekend will be last of the primo-est stuff.

Photo made Monday near the intersection of Long Path and Menomine trails:Harriman_fall_leaves_rock_SMALL.jpg
    Very nice shot. Jealous. Had a couple of trips planned in and around that area recently and both cancelled. Fingers crossed for first week of December, but likely zero leaves and snow covered ground..

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Nice pictures... looks like a great trip.

If there's one thing I miss about living in NJ, it's trips to Harriman SP. Started taking the kids there when they were tots and now that they're in their 20's and 30's they still talk about adventures we had on Harriman's extensive network of trails and lakes. One of our favorite trips was camping on the top of "The Timp". If it was clear enough, you could see the NYC skyline from its rocky summit. I was always amazed that the park wasn't overrun with people given its close proximity to the city.

Thanks for posting... and for stirring up many pleasant memories!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ 30, AHE 4S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    One of our favorite trips was camping on the top of "The Timp". If it was clear enough, you could see the NYC skyline from its rocky summit.
    WTC and Empire State are visible from quite a few hilltops around the park. It's such a treasure to have that close the city. I'll tell you, if you go on a Saturday, you'll see a lot of people...much prefer weekdays.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burger_face View Post
    WTC and Empire State are visible from quite a few hilltops around the park. It's such a treasure to have that close the city. I'll tell you, if you go on a Saturday, you'll see a lot of people...much prefer weekdays.
    Sadly, I haven't been there in over a decade. I'm sure the park has changed over the years. My very first time camping in a hammock was at Harriman... an old Hennessy bottom entry model. The northward view of the Hudson River and Bear Mountain Bridge from parts of the trail is pretty awesome as well. I took this picture on my last visit there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ 30, AHE 4S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch Bug
    WOW what a view! Looks like you caught some nice looking fall colors as well.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burger_face View Post
    Sounds pretty rough! I probably would have trekked out under those circumstances...if there's one thing I'm not up for it's a cold night.
    Actually it was comfortable enough as I did not have a UQ at that time and used my pad, I dug the rock out and that gave me a nice hip-dip for a comfy ground bed. I dropped the tarp as low as I could but I just could not seal off the sides completely. I had a 20 deg bag, it was the wind that was the real issue.

As for hiking out, it was too late and too dark to try. Also, what's up with New York Trails? Do you all have some state law or something that requires every loose cobble and stone to be thrown into the middle of the trail? Never saw such a miss-mash of rocks ready to turn an ankle.... except for parts of the Dolly Sods.

• + New Posts