Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Lightest hammock for 6' 4" 230 lbs guy?

I have 4 hammocks that I've accumulated over the last decade, but most are double-layer due to my paranoia about having to camp somewhere in the desert Southwest where there aren't two trees the right distance. I'm looking to assemble a SUL configuration, single layer, probably netless.

Many of you know the hammocks on the market better than I do. Suggestions (and weight) for a hammock that will not have me end up on the ground when I plop into it? I am not a DIY guy, so skip the "buy some silnylon from RSBTR and make your own" please.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing
    I’m 6’4” 225. And I’d recommend a 1.6 oz./sq. yd. fabric. HyperD offered by Dream Hammock. Hexon or Argon from Dutchware, or the 1.7 from Warbonnet.
    You could get away with a 1.2 Robic but the 1.6 offers a little more support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch netless 11'
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF w/door
    Insulation
    EE top HG UQ
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    I am 6' 280#, and I have had excellent success with single layer 1.6 osy Hexon. 11' netless hammocks are readily available and inexpensive in this material. I have had good success with Dutchware and Simply Light Designs.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I'm 6'2", 230. I use a hyperD 1.6 most of the time. I also have a robic 1.2 that I built for SUL. It hasn't dumped me yet, but there seem to be a couple runs in a couple places that have me mildly concerned. I'm not using it until I get sub 200. That one does have considerably more stretch than the 1.6, but is still crazy comfortable. If you're looking for light weight comfort that won't let you down, my bet is on hyperD 1.6. If you don't mind gambling in the back country the lighter robic 1.2 will work, I just can't say for how long. I do DIY, so I can't necessarily recommend a manufacturer, but I haven't seen a bad review for any of the active vendors on this here community.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thank you for your responses, I appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzo909 View Post
    I’m 6’4” 225. And I’d recommend a 1.6 oz./sq. yd. fabric. HyperD offered by Dream Hammock. Hexon or Argon from Dutchware, or the 1.7 from Warbonnet.
    You could get away with a 1.2 Robic but the 1.6 offers a little more support.
    1.6 HyperD makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by scottsosmith View Post
    I am 6' 280#, and I have had excellent success with single layer 1.6 osy Hexon. 11' netless hammocks are readily available and inexpensive in this material. I have had good success with Dutchware and Simply Light Designs.
    Yeah, I've got an old SLD Streamliner, dual 1.1 layers. Do you do 11' ridgeline tarps with your 11' hammocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    I'm 6'2", 230. I use a hyperD 1.6 most of the time. I also have a robic 1.2 that I built for SUL. It hasn't dumped me yet, but there seem to be a couple runs in a couple places that have me mildly concerned. I'm not using it until I get sub 200. That one does have considerably more stretch than the 1.6, but is still crazy comfortable. If you're looking for light weight comfort that won't let you down, my bet is on hyperD 1.6. If you don't mind gambling in the back country the lighter robic 1.2 will work, I just can't say for how long. I do DIY, so I can't necessarily recommend a manufacturer, but I haven't seen a bad review for any of the active vendors on this here community.
    Cheers,
    The Goat
    1.6 HyperD seems to be the "wisdom of the crowds" for somebody my size. I think the 1.2 Robic would be too much of a "stretch", so to speak...

Best regards,
    --Kurt

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I'm 6'1 and around 235, and have a DIY made with 1.5 material. Havent had any issues. So anything close should work.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Dutch netless 11'
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF w/door
    Insulation
    EE top HG UQ
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    All of my tarps are 11' ridge line. It find that to be plenty of coverage for an 11' tarp, especially when the tarp has doors (Hg dcf with doors) or beaks (Warbonnet Thubderfky). 12' tarps can't be hung as close to the hammock ridge line ( interescts with straps).

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsosmith View Post
    All of my tarps are 11' ridge line. It find that to be plenty of coverage for an 11' tarp, especially when the tarp has doors (Hg dcf with doors) or beaks (Warbonnet Thubderfky). 12' tarps can't be hung as close to the hammock ridge line ( interescts with straps).
    This is true (longer tarp ridgelines hit straps).

--Kurt

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    5'10" and 230 these days...

I find hybrid 1.7 a bit too firm. HyperD 1.6 too stretchy. And Hybrid 1.2 to be just right.
    Especially if you're looking UL its an easy choice.

A polycro (window shrinkwrap) groundsheet is a much better solution than a second layer for your going to ground solution. Another simple option is a cheap mylar (space blanket).

Since you have one of Jared's already- he'd be a good choice for a SL in that fabric.

I have a few basic netless 11' in Hybrid 1.2 I made up when the fabric launched to get used to sewing the fabric. I can check exact weight on those later but around 9-10 ounces sounds right.
    I plan to garage sale some of my prototypes and odd stuff in the near future but if you are interested I was probably going to sell those for $50 or so when I find time to do it.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Hybrid 1.2 in 65ish wide by 11' long with a butthole bag stuff sack, ridgeline and continuous loops comes to 9.5 ounces finished.

I've got one in Burnt Orange, Dark Olive, Foilage, and Glacier Blue
    20181103_035213780_iOS.jpg
    20181103_035315979_iOS.jpg
    20181103_035336301_iOS.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast