Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by sabinajiles View Post
    I agree completely. I am a backpacker first and use both hammocks and tents, depending on where I am hiking and the conditions. Yes, I sleep more comfortably in a hammock. Yes, I like the more open aspect of a hammock in good weather but if protection from rain, cold and wind is the top priority, a quality backpacking tent will be my choice every time. I enjoy using both hammocks and tents and believe there is a time and place for both. There is no need to pit one against the other, IMO.
    Why I built a tent for the Hammock and added a wood stove ...comfort rules.
    Fall camp
    IMG-20170918-04474 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Winter scene
    New Hazelton-20171107-04556 by richardktm300, on Flickr

IMG-20170918-04476 by richardktm300, on Flickr
    The mice sure enjoyed the comforts that night hahahhahaaa
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Fun video! My takeaway was... tent or hammock, rig up a tarp first and get out of the rain!

I can't tell you how long I sometimes take to find those two perfect trees from which to hang, all the while walking over those flat tent spots.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have to give Chard a +1 because finding those trees is not always so direct. In the photo below, you will see lots of trees. But when I was there, many idea trees would require stringing the hammock across the hiking path. Or - and we've all been there - there are two great trees but there is a third tree between them that would interfere with the tarp. That said, I really can't remember the last time I slept on the ground. When car traveling where I don't know the tree situation, I carry a cot-tent (or tent-cot; to lazy to look up the name). It's a cot will a fill nylon cover and fly.

I usually put the hammock up first - get that right - then put the tarp over it in just the right place. I use a continuous ridge line so it is easy to slide the tarp in the best position. But I can see it's a good idea to practice putting a tarp up first.

One thing I'm working on is dealing with a small fire for heat. I am definitely scared of floating hot ash reaching any nylon (hammock or tarp). Is there a way to keep the fire close enough to be warm, yet somehow route any ash so it will not land on the nylon? is it just a matter of keeping the fire small or minimizing the wind - just enough for "draft" but not enough to float ashes.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    Why I built a tent for the Hammock and added a wood stove ...comfort rules.
    Fall camp
    IMG-20170918-04474 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Winter scene
    New Hazelton-20171107-04556 by richardktm300, on Flickr

IMG-20170918-04476 by richardktm300, on Flickr
    The mice sure enjoyed the comforts that night hahahhahaaa
    Now thats a nice setup!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I have to give Chard a +1 because finding those trees is not always so direct.
    Ha! I've been there. I'll admit I'm picky, but sometimes I reach full-on whining mode...wandering for 30 minutes getting frustrated. Always worth it in the end.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Finding those trees is not always as easy as thought. Many trees that seem ideal would require stringing the hammock across the hiking path. Or - and we've all been there - there are two great trees but there is a third tree between them that interferes with the tarp. That said, I really can't remember the last time I slept on the ground. When car traveling where I don't know the tree situation, I carry a cot-tent (or tent-cot; to lazy to look up the name). It's a cot will a fill nylon cover and fly.

I usually put the hammock up first - get that right - then put the tarp over it in just the right place. I use a continuous ridge line so it is easy to slide the tarp in the best position. But I can see it's a good idea to practice putting a tarp up first.

With respect to that "hot" tent, how do you deal with floating hot ash reaching any nylon (hammock or tarp). Is there a way to keep the fire close enough to be warm, yet assure any ash so it will not land on the nylon? is it just a matter of keeping the fire small or minimizing the wind - just enough for "draft" but not enough to float ashes.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Finding those trees is not always as easy as thought. Many trees that seem ideal would require stringing the hammock across the hiking path. Or - and we've all been there - there are two great trees but there is a third tree between them that interferes with the tarp. That said, I really can't remember the last time I slept on the ground. When car traveling where I don't know the tree situation, I carry a cot-tent (or tent-cot; to lazy to look up the name). It's a cot will a fill nylon cover and fly.

With respect to that "hot" tent, how do you deal with floating hot ash reaching any nylon (hammock or tarp). Is there a way to keep the fire close enough to be warm, yet assure any ash so it will not land on the nylon? is it just a matter of keeping the fire small or minimizing the wind - just enough for "draft" but not enough to float ashes.
    Ash is not a problem at all, it is a 'wood stove' nor the heat output of the stove on the silpoly...keep your set backs. You will get sparks...namely burnt creosote flying out the chimney and falling onto the silypoly making the odd burn hole...nothing that a touch of seam sealer can't fix. Spark arestors are not a answer and can create bigger problems. Nothing beats a wood stove in a tent to take the chill out and keep your gear dry
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    BB 1.7DL w/dutch
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TOP&BOTTOM
    Suspension
    DUTCH & WHOOPIES
    awesome set up... moved to wood titanium stove and tent with hammock. will add pics

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    So true. Gave me a good laugh as well.

Ha, this guy's trail name should be Dances With Poles !! Nice vid.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I gave my 2 man tent a viking funeral years ago. I keep a solo tent for emergency trips that have few trees like French River area.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast