El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Anytime.

My wife just be happy to have someone else telling me to shut up.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    sorry to have missed all this. Comes from fading in and out of here...If ever I make another video it would be on understanding the stresses on ridge lines. Looks to me like you all can save me the effort!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    yes, that is the "static" model of what i'm describing, and it's very nicely illustrated, thank you for that.

when you add stretch on a taut ridgeline, what happens basically is that the rigging angle which is annalyzed in the pic above will change as the line stretches when you apply load to it perpendicularly, the pic you shared helps to grasp this in discrete steps, except that it is only in the final position where things settle to equilibrium where the load sustained by the rope is the full weight of the object, before that, as the line stretches, it does so because it is still incapable of withstanding the full load, and this is why the object will keep moving down and cause the stretch and the sag (we're talking statically for now, imagine very gently resting a heavy object on a ridgeline, with no kinetic energy, and without allowing gravity to accelerate it, so just a controlled lowering, for the time being, not free fall)

this does not fully describe what happens on impact (so when there's kinetic energy at play too), but it's a good start to begin to understand what can be expected. and again, it becomes clear: with tautly rigged ridgeline and no stretch, you can expect extreme tension in the rope and anchor points, and breakage under loads much lower than you might expect (in the pic above, a line rated for 500lbs will fail with just a 100lbs load, and that's already 5 degrees, so there's some angle already, some dyneema ridgelines as they are rigged might not reach that angle and break first)

it can easily be calculated what elasticity module (amount of stretch) a line would require to for instance fail when loaded like this at the same load as the line is rated for, if one would find it amusing. however, the simple conclusion for practical purposes is very straightforward: rig at 30 degrees or more, just as with the hammock, and stop worrying.

edit:
    ok, you made me do it :P

staying within typical hammock rigging limitations, means the originally taut ridgeline can't go beyond the sag the hammock was rigged at (30degrees), otherwise it's pointless for this discussion (of course, it depends how low it was rigged taut, so often even less than 30 degrees, but trying to keep it simple)

a line which will stretch enough to achieve the 30 degree sag, would be stretching by a factor of .154 or so (so 15% stretch), at that particular load, if it is at the lines breaking point, the load it is supporting then is the lines rated strength (so for a 500lbs line, that would be 15% at 500lbs). the lash-it in 1.75mm rated for 500lbs, mentioned above, would reach 4% at breaking point (if we assume we can extrapolate linearly, which should be close enough), which means an angle of about 16 degrees, which works out to a best case scenario of withstanding 55% of the line strength, or 275lbs.
    Getting sleepy, very sleep............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Getting sleepy, very sleep............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..
    Lol, well somebody has to analyze but sometimes it'd be quicker to rig up some cord to trees and drop something heavy on it. Not that I'm offering up my Glowire to sacrifice for science.

I'd still contend that whether the rating is 250 or 400lb makes virtually zero difference!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Just got out to a lake in Canada today and noticed my tarp to prussik connection ceased up pretty bad using lashit on lashit. I will switch to a 35' 2mm glowire CRL tomorrow and also use the same for the prussiks, hope this combo will not cease up as easily. Will report back.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Just got out to a lake in Canada today and noticed my tarp to prussik connection ceased up pretty bad using lashit on lashit. I will switch to a 35' 2mm glowire CRL tomorrow and also use the same for the prussiks, hope this combo will not cease up as easily. Will report back.
    A 3-wrap Prusik with 2mm Glowire-on-Glowire works great. prusik_tarp_ridgeline_14369.jpg

Early last week I was out for a couple of rainy nights with the same setup with Guywire—which is Glowire minus the reflective stuff—and it works exactly the same when wet as well.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    yeah, this is what they do. while you're at it, ditch the prusik already, and try a blake hitch, or at least a farrimond hitch instead (if you like the prusik "shape" a lot). even an assymmetric prusik (or schwabish i think it is called) is likely to work significantly better. the prusik is simple and handy, and prone to jamming, everyone using them knows it. in dyneema they require so many extra wraps that the jammyness is exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Lol, well somebody has to analyze but sometimes it'd be quicker to rig up some cord to trees and drop something heavy on it. Not that I'm offering up my Glowire to sacrifice for science.
    the two are not mutually exchangeable, but rather complementary, and both are necessary except for the most trivial of questions: experimenting without first having a solid understanding of the physics behind the experiment would require a lot of time and a lot of samples for each of a lot of kinds to achieve any useful result (otherwise, with one test, for instance, one would just confirm or defeat one basic assumption, without being able to account for which are the factors that made the assumption (in)valid)

I'd still contend that whether the rating is 250 or 400lb makes virtually zero difference!
    well, that's kind of a matter of choice i guess. the question discussed (rather offtopic to this thread, i shamefully admit) was "how much of a difference it makes, and what factors influence that, so that each can make their own decision if/which factors make a difference for them or not"

sorry i got too nerdy again with the analysis, i guess i should stop doing this on forums

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    @cmoulder thanks, I rigged up a 36' glowire CRL and did prusiks w/ fisherman's knot to attach to the tarp and it feels much much better than my previous lashit setup. Also finally replaced all of my tarp guylines with it and threw the reflectit out (too bad they only got one use). Also added glowire pulls to my zippers as they are also better than reflectit.

I think I'm a Lawson convert now and will be ordering more of his stuff (ironwire, utility cordage, bear throw) when they come back in stock. Guess lashit got relegated to only hammock RLs for me.

@nanok I relearned the knots you mentioned and indeed I may give them a try in the next few days. As you probably know me enough now, I do like constantly improving but I feel I need to iterate a bit more slowly and sometimes that means changing one variable at a time. In this case, I'm actually quite curious how 2mm glowire prusiks will hold up compared to lashit on lashit (what a nightmare!) as @cmoulder claims he has success. I guess I could actually do an A/B split test and tie up one of your knots on one side leaving the prusik on the other

hey uninjured

thanks, as usual, for the followup, it's nice to see your experiments and your conclusions "from the field"

one variable at a time: understood and agreed, i do and advocate the same

"split test": that's and excellent idea, would be nice to see your findings that way, if it's not too much trouble, i hadn't thought of that.

lashit on lashit: yup that's why i've been advocating for a while to change at least the hitch part (so something else on dyneema, not dyneema hitch on dyneema host rope), and the knot in use (not prusik) at least, if people want to keep the dyneema ridgeline, to avoid that unnecessary pain

have fun, and keep 'em coming

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast