DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Just be careful what you do, and where. From setting up tarps and letting them dry in my basement, the stuff got tracked all over the house time after time.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Ha, I was just messing with the tarp to make sure it is dry, so I will turn off the lights and check the floor later tonight!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Just went online with the intention of buying a few dozen feet of the 3mm Orange, but sadly about half of the options in color, length or diameter are "Out-of-Stock". Oh well, will check back one of these days, if I remember.

Thanks for the post!
    R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Don't be afraid of the 2mm, it's plenty strong and easy to work with. Some hardware requires certain diameters, so if that's your goal...

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Don't be afraid of the 2mm, it's plenty strong and easy to work with. Some hardware requires certain diameters, so if that's your goal...
    Agreed, 2mm is rated at 225 lb break strength, which is plenty.

For reference, I was at Dolly Sods a few weeks ago when the remnants of Hurricane Michael were racing up the East Coast. The very strong pressure gradient behind it was producing strong winds... 40mph conservatively, very likely gusts to 50mph, maybe more. The way it was getting hammered, I was seriously concerned that my DCF tarp (.51 osy!) was going to rip. RL was Zing-it, but Prusiks attaching the tarp to the RL were Micro cord (1.2mm rated to 100lb) as were the corner guy lines. Nothing broke, nothing ripped. Even my Lawson TI shepherd hook stakes held.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I need it for my tarps. I use 3mm LineLocs on all corners. The 2mm glowire would work I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I had the Glowire in my cart this weekend and never pulled the trigger.

I am still using zingit for the split RL's, with mini-ucrs for tensioning (I hate prussiks). And I am now a Z-Packs Z-Line devotee... I love that stuff for all the ground corners. Using the 1.2mm (187#) with Tarp Worms and it works a charm. I'll check out the Glowire when I see you this weekend. I'll also check the reflective Z-Line to see if sheds.. I haven't gotten around to doing that.

Glowire is too stiff to use for a bear bag line, right? Looking to replace the Zingit on the bear bag...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

In praise of Lawson Glowire

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post

I am still using zingit for the split RL's, with mini-ucrs for tensioning (I hate prussiks). And I am now a Z-Packs Z-Line devotee... I love that stuff for all the ground corners. Using the 1.2mm (187#) with Tarp Worms and it works a charm. I'll check out the Glowire when I see you this weekend. I'll also check the reflective Z-Line to see if sheds.. I haven't gotten around to doing that.

Glowire is too stiff to use for a bear bag line, right? Looking to replace the Zingit on the bear bag...
    Lawson’s Ultraglide Bear Line was specifically designed to be used as a bear bagging line.
    https://lawsonequipment.com/Ultragli...ine-p1073.html

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post

Of course I've seen your system and it works great... and is simple, functional, and not 'foofy' with extra, unnecessary bits. With your splicing skills you're accomplishing everything I do with knots, and I have to say it is indeed neater looking. I'm just a knot-nut and prefer that route, and Glowire really excels at that.

And no, Glowire is not slippery and is not good for bear bagging line. I have a setup using the Ultraglide cord made specifically for that use, and my version of the the Skilman Bear Hitch which I'll bring this weekend.

As far as shedding reflective stuff, well indeed it does shed a little but the light has to hit it just right to even notice it, so for me it is a very minor annoyance and not at all a deal breaker.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Lawson’s Ultraglide Bear Line was specifically designed to be used as a bear bagging line.
    https://lawsonequipment.com/Ultragli...ine-p1073.html
    Yes, I know.. but that that cordage has some serious bulk to it.. 50' of that is about three times the mass of 50' of Zingit.. and weighs three times as much too. Might be good for a week long trek with a monster food bag, but I'm usually three days max.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Of course I've seen your system and it works great... and is simple, functional, and not 'foofy' with extra, unnecessary bits. With your splicing skills you're accomplishing everything I do with knots, and I have to say it is indeed neater looking. I'm just a knot-nut and prefer that route, and Glowire really excels at that.

And no, Glowire is not slippery and is not good for bear bagging line. I have a setup using the Ultraglide cord made specifically for that use, and my version of the the Skilman Bear Hitch which I'll bring this weekend.

As far as shedding reflective stuff, well indeed it does shed a little but the light has to hit it just right to even notice it, so for me it is a very minor annoyance and not at all a deal breaker.
    Thank you for the props... I love splicing as much as I suspect you love knots! I woke this morning and, out of no where, I figured out how I want to setup the guy lines on the asym tarp.. no hardware, complete flexibility and totally modular. Yes.. splicing and diamond knots!!

Glowire sounds like Dutch Wire which is a kin to the Z-Line.

Skilman Bear Hitch... I like that setup. While it doesn't eliminate the toggle it does create a mechanical advantage helpful in hauling the bag up. No, I have never failed to find a toggle... but creating that knot for the toggle (I use the PCT method with a MSH and trail stick) can be a pain when the bag is heavy and cordage is thin (hence, my question about the
    more robust line). Also could eliminate the rock bag if the biner is substantial enough.. hmmm.... might want to keep the rock bag in favor of a smaller biner set.

When you remove the bag from biner #2, you should be able to extract the length of cordage from biner #1, haul biner #1 over the branch and the whole thing falls to the ground? Only way to get hosed is biner #1 gets hung up on the branch or, you release biner #2 after retrieving the bag.. that would be catastrophic.

I don't have any small, smooth biners.. I have a ton of NiteIze S-biners, but they don't run smooth given the sharp edges. Think they will work if I ease the sharp edges? What about really slick cord (maybe the lawson ultraglide cord) with similarly slick soft shackles?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast