Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    It’s such an interesting hobby; there’s always a few things that can be tweaked to see if a different design works. Subtle changes can make a big difference. I like your point about how a channeled amsteel suspension allows the hammock to move, avoiding stress spots. That video is impressive.
    How many nights do you think a channel design is reliable for? I will admit that one of my hesitations about building an Ariel was the fact that I was concerned that the sewn-on fabric channel may not be as robust as a rolled webbing design.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I want to take issue with one of Just Bill's assumptions, and then I'll shut up. I didn't make the People's Bridge Hammock to come up with a simpler construction method for an existing design. The simplicity is a fortunate additional benefit, but the goal was to make a hammock that is more comfortable than a traditional bridge with cat cut sides. I believe that it is.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    How many nights do you think a channel design is reliable for? I will admit that one of my hesitations about building an Ariel was the fact that I was concerned that the sewn-on fabric channel may not be as robust as a rolled webbing design.
    A well built channel will easily outlive an average rolled webbing bridge, especially if you are pushing weight.
    If not... a saggy bottomed low stress model of either design will last a really long time.

Grizz could potentially answer that better... though he has the same problem as I do... there's always another bridge to build.
    Both him and WV have bridges that went to friends and fellow hangers years before I sent any out... so likely some of theirs have been out for quite some time.

But what does time mean?
    My philosophy on durable ultralight (as opposed to stupid light or bomber built) is 100 nights minimum with no loss of performance, and perhaps 200-400 before retirement or repair if possible.
    People hear one hundred nights and think that doesn't mean much, but if you get out one weekend a month that's 24 nights a year. Or four years of use for a fairly active average user.

That said- there are about a dozen Big Guy Bridges clearing 200 nights, and a few folks who home sleep at 300+ nights now.
    A few years of continuous use by a full time sleeper is a lifetime achievement award worth of performance.

Keep in mind this isn't a sleeping bag... it's a load bearing piece of equipment. Like a climbing harness. So 'failure' is relative.
    I've never seen a climbing harness fail, but I've seen plenty of them retired. Bridges can be the same way.
    Hard climbers retire their harness and rope each season at minimum.
    Hard users might expect less durability than a weekend warrior who is mainly dealing with dryrot as the primary enemy.

An AT thru hiker spends around 120 nights on the trail once you take out zeros and hostel hops for example... And a reasonable durability benchmark for light gear is completing a thru hike.
    True... an ultralight sleeping bag could easily last you three thru-hikes and counting. A great backpack that you maintain could go the distance too.
    By contrast you use 4-6 pairs of light weight trail runners per hike and that many socks too. (Even Darn tough wears out).

So overall it depends less on one vs another.
    The RR is a well built, acceptable weight, end bar with a rolled webbing design. It's been out a decent bit of time and so have the JRB bridges. So that's probably the source of the perception.

Grizz got me going with his counting grams video... and in general many who get into MYOG on the backpacking side got into it to spend even more money trying to build even lighter stuff.
    So there is a large collection of dramatic failures and expensive catastrophes littering that trail.

Though it's always been my opinion that if you can build screaming light cutting edge stuff... you can easily step back and beef it up. The opposite is not true.

Build an Ariel out of Cuben Fiber and I guarantee you will learn something very fast.
    Build an Ariel out of Hexon 2.4 or Hex 70 for a 180lb guy (and don't mess it up) and it will probably last until the stitches rot. Certainly long enough for a new toy to come along and replace it.

If anything, I would argue that a rolled webbing bridge is more delicate when you chase weight. I built several out of 1 ounce hyperD and 1/2" grossgrain which quickly demonstrates the weakness of the design. They hold 200 pounds but the clock starts ticking. These were FKT bridges where durability was measured in days not weeks. You have to be very careful how many stitches you put in.

By contrast my production micro's, built from the deadly Robic 1.0 no less... easily last a full season of hard use for folks up to 180 lbs. I put 90+ days continuous outdoor use on one when I was in better shape at 190lbs.
    I never had a SUL rolled web design last that long.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I want to take issue with one of Just Bill's assumptions, and then I'll shut up. I didn't make the People's Bridge Hammock to come up with a simpler construction method for an existing design. The simplicity is a fortunate additional benefit, but the goal was to make a hammock that is more comfortable than a traditional bridge with cat cut sides. I believe that it is.
    I do talk too much-

Apologies- Wasn't my intention to imply that it was not an original design, though I can easily see it reads that way.

Your bridge is indeed something different, that does something different. One reason I like to bring it up often.

The fact that it turned out simpler to build is the other reason I like to bring it up often... especially because it often addresses the issues folks have with a bic style basic and allows someone to resolve them easily.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12