Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

5th Annual Hunger Halloween Hang at Medoc Mt SP NC

Thanks to every one who could make it in spite of the dismal start. So far we have lucked out on rain,,,it would either rain for a few minutes during the night or wait until we were leaving to start. This time we were not so lucky. Friday at about 8 AM it started to rain and did not stop util about 2 AM Saturday. Not a heavy rain, just steady enough to make every one take shelter under a pop up or take a long nap in ones hammock. Everyone came prepared and I did not hear of any one having issues with tarps leaking.Had to put The Terminator to bed once we got home as she has come down with something. Sam is curled up next to her.Have lots of photos to go thru and a video to edit so I will be posting a more detailed report later after I have a chance to finish unloading the cars and trailer.
    Last edited by gunner76; 10-29-2018 at 20:10.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    I had a wonderful time, thank you so much to everyone who helped set this hang up! The food was incredible, thank you EVERYONE who cooked (I can't even remember all of the cooks), the companionship was fantastic, and the weather was pretty decent after Friday. The caveman TV had more than enough fuel, and the pumpkins (thank you Slugger!) turned out awesomely! I loved seeing old friends, and making new ones as well. I look forward to this hang each year, for many reasons; primarily the incredible people who make up this hang. Thank you again to everyone!
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    All the food and camaraderie was great. I got lots to learn—my insulated over jeans drug the wet ground and wicked water halfway up my short legs. I took a chill and changed to dry clothes and got in hammock early on a rainy night.
    Earlier that day my off the wall suspension a cross between Kokomo and Kookaburra that I call DoubleK got a small lake in wrinkle of ridgeline. Thanks to Adam and Harvey or is he Harry at Hammock Gear the ridgeline seam did not leak even though there was a three inch puddle in tarp ridgeline. I was able to tie some knots around empty water bottles tied to ridgeline to remove the dip. Yea I just about took a dip. Maybe I should make ridgeline and tarp be strack tight like y’all pros’ tarps.
    Highlights for me
    Great BBQ, StarfishComet and brave tensahedron stand and rig defying rain, Countrybois and his Nama Claws—an amazing fast and sure grip on tarp ridge and guy lines, beautiful and smart women and girl campers who can hold their own cooking camping and telling lies ah er stories, brave campers staring adversity down during camp and during life, great kids—I don’t remember being that good when I was a kid! Being joined by our prodigal couple Hotlips&Kingsford, and Happy Pumpkin Fire Birthday Slugger and Bobo. Getting to talk with old friends and new friends.

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Kingsford and I had a great time. I want to say thank you to all who agreed to watch the kids for us. Slugger, I think Joey really looks up to you. We stayed nice and toasty under our tarp during the rain on Friday. The caveman TV kept us nice and warm Saturday. The company and food was exceptional. It was so good to see everyone again. We missed hanging with ya'll. Thank you Slugger for the awesome flaming pumpkins. I think the kids and BOBO did a great job carving them. Thank you Phantom Grappler for the addition to the firewood. Pappy Amos is bringing the left over to Yates hang for you. Thank you especially to our Hosts Gunner and Terminator. They did a wonderful job with the pork butts. They are also great hosts who try hard to be sure everyone is well provided for. Thanks again everyone. We hope to see you again next year somewhere in the woods.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I want to thank everyone for the birthday wishes. I did celebrate Thursday evening sitting around the campfire and as a result was a little under the weather Friday morning. Not even coffee could cut through that fog in my head! As always at these hangs there was great food to be shared...thanks to all of the cooks! Weather Friday was poor but it gave everyone an excuse to hit the books under hammock studies. We had a few visitors walk in and I was impressed by those who stepped up & gave a grand tour of what hammock camping is all about. Great ambassadors to hammock hanging! Just maybe we put the bug in someone's mind to give it a try. The Boy Scout leaders also stopped in to check us out and as a result they won the weekend door prize - two pans of food for their troop! And a tip of the hat to SteelPlayer for the bottomless coffee pot all weekend. The only thing we missed was getting a group shot of all of us. We'll have to remember next hang to do that.

Great weekend everyone! Looking forward to the next hang.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Countrybois, I don’t know how to log in—
    I’ve forgotten my password or keyed it in wrong
    I’m about passworded out
    Best way to reach me Email
    [email protected]

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Slugger...you are now in charge of herding pumpkins and group photos.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The following folks attended the hang.
    The Terminator; Gunner76; Jeff Wheat; Starfish Comet; PappyAmos; Macdiver; Bobo1234; Tacoma96; Steelplayer; AA2FD; Shari; Angel; Countrybois plus his sons and grandson; Phantom Grappler; Hotlips; KingsFord; Slugger; B-rizzle and wife; Koolranch and daughter; Chicken Wing ( visited ).

I think I got every one who attended. If I missed anyone, please let me know.

The Terminator and I got to the hang site on Thrusday just before 1 PM after a 4 hour drive. Sam was glad to get out and check out the woods. As he had been hit by a car a few days before he spent the hang moving slow and sleeping a lot.

As rain was in the forecast we were trying to make sure we got our shelter up. We used our Hammeck Stands and Squid Billy custom tarp and set up out Puzzle Palace. Lots of room inside once set up.

PappyAmos showed up with some BBQ and we made lots of great BBQ sandwiches for lunch. That night The Terminator made Brunswick Stew.

Just as we started fixing breakfast Friday AM it started to rain. Lasted from 8 AM Friday to 2 AM Saturday.
    Figured it was a good day to spend in my hammock and enjoy the sound of rain hitting the tarp and find out if seam sealing job I had done would keep the rain out...it did. While it rained all day, it was not a heavy rain, just constant. Luckily we came prepared as we had lots of popup canopies for everyone to stand / sit under. Even had 3 walls for the cooking popup.

Steelplayer was talking about going fishing while it was raining. Told him the fish don't care if it is raining.

Saturday was busy. Had to uncover the smoker and 5 boxes of well aged Pecan and Plum wood and get it going. The Terminator helped to get the butts ready and used some homemade rubs on them. Thought we had brought 5 butts but only brought 4 plus the one Steelplayer brought. Started the butts about 10 AM and it took about 4 hours for them to cook. Forgot my cleavers so had to do pulled pork. The Terminator also did 3 racks of pork ribs. I made 6different BBQ sauces including a SC mustard style and Sharie and Pantom Grappler both made white BBQ sauces

I think once lunch stated, we had one continuous meal all day long with Q,chili, cobblers and other assorted items.

Had some of the adult Boy Scout leaders and a youth group that were also camping out next to us stop by to get a tour of our hammock setups.Hopefully we were able to educate some of them on the proper way to set up and use a hammock as one of the folks said he had been setting up his hammock just as tight as he could so it was all level. A couple of kids in the youth group said they know what they want to find under the Christmas tree this year.

As we ended up with more Q than we could eat we gave the Boy Scouts that visited some of our extra Q..

The camp ground hosts visited us and we were glad to see that they are the same folks from this spring. Once again they gave us some free fire wood ( they said it was for Sam I Am ) and we invited them to share our Q which they did. Very nice folks.

Slugger brought 4 large pumpkins along with a carving kit and the younger crowd had no problem arm deep while digging the guts out the pumpkins and carving faces. Bobo pulled up the HammockForums logo on his phone and used it to create a HF pumpkin. Not very scary but still looked great.

Once it got dark, we moved the pumpkins over to an unused fire pit and Slugger placed toilet paper rolls in side and emptied a bottle of lighter fluid between the 4 pumpkins. We then sacrificed the the pumpkins to the Great Flamming Pumpkin God. The effect of the burning pumpkins was great. Biggest problem was keeping the small kids far enough back so they did not get hurt.

I though we might have a pumpkin pie smell from the burning pumpkins but it was not to be.
    I did learn a really bad joke at the hang....The diameter of a pumpkin divided by its circumference equals .....pumpkin Pi

Sunday AM came all too soon and it was sad to see our little community of hammocks and related gear being packed up as folks got ready to head home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast