Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel

My most comfortable RR combination so far.

Brandon from Warbonnet mentioned in one of his posts that putting a pad on top of both layers of a double layer RR gives a different feel, or he said something like that. I also viewed a youtube video where a guy used a Sierra Design frontcountry bed in his hammock and he said it was the most comfort he has had. So I tried my front country bed with an exped down 9 and it was very comfortable. It was a little difficult to get in and out because the bag has no zipper, just that flap, but I got used to that pretty quickly. The pad is in a pocket under the bag so it does not slip around. And there is some insulation between me and the pad and it did not get wet from perspiration. I made several sleeves using climateshield to use over pads in the pad pocket, but the frontcountry stayed much drier. I was much higher in the hammock where my arms were just on top of the edge of the hammock, but that seemed to give much more usable width. I did not think it was unstable at all, but I have owned RR's for about 6 years now and I know what to expect when getting in or out, or shifting around. The best thing I found though is there are no drafts like where the topquilt lets in air after I turn sideways or to my back again! I have used the frontcountry on cots before and I would rate it at about 40 degrees at the lowest, but I just threw another topquilt over it, which also did not shift around. There is no way I would take this packpacking with all the weight, but it is now my go to set up for car camping. My RidgeRunner just got better.
    frontcountry bed setup.jpg

Very cool, I've never seen the frontcountry before, what is the weight of the system. And how big would you say it is once in a stuff sack.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've got one of the cheaper non-insulated Klymit pads I was considering trying this with. For FL temps I figure throwing a fleece sleeve around it would suffice for insulation or I just throw the Lynx on the bottom. As you mentioned, perfect for car camping.

I had forgotten how comfortable how my RR is compared to my other gathered ends until I had to swap a few weekends back. I let both kids have a RR (we've got 2) and I went back to my old trusty Hennessy Explorer UL. I still slept OK but it took lots of tossing, turning, and wiggling to find the "sweet spot" and get all my covers arranged correctly. In the RR I just climb in and go to sleep. It's like laying down on a cot.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    The size of the frontcountry stuffed is about 25-30L, it is not small. Right now I am storing everything in an inexpensive 100L duffle bag that I got at a gas station up in WI so everything is in one place and it fits. I was going to sew a full bag with a pad pocket for years, but it was more than the rectangle I could sew, and I wanted to see what features the experts came up with. If you make one, the pillow pocket hood is nice for keeping your pillow in place, and it has an opening 3/4 down in the pad sleeve, where you can poke your feet out. They also did a good job reinforcing where the top flap meets the main body. I am not trying to add to the weight of your gear, but you could sew two fleece sleeves together so the pad goes in one and you get into the top one. Maybe add some grosgrain loops to the fleece sleeve for TQ attachment points and it would probably do the about the same thing as the frontcountry. The TQ quilt not shifting and creating drafts is a big plus for me.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I got the long one because it is wider and can use up to a 30" pad. I guess it weighs about 5 lbs https://sierradesigns.com/frontcountry-bed-35/.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Interesting to see that frontcountry bed used in a RR! I have no doubts it will work fine.
    It is easy to get drafts from a TQ pulling out! I had that this morning about 3:30 and had to re-shift a bit to get it back wrapped around me.

After using a gathered end on the last several trips I've made out of necessity for space and weight, i was so glad to get back in my RR and sleep well.

I don't always sleep in a RidgeRunner, but when i do i sleep well.
    20181027_172022.jpg
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

I have a Ridgerunner and also have BigAgnes sleeping bag with integrated pad - I wonder if that combination would work inside the RR? Put a bit of air in the Big Agnes pad, slide it into the pocket of the BA sleeping bag and then just put that inside the RR? I have RR specific UQ's and a bunch of TQ's already, but wondered if anyone has tried that?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bp0416 View Post
    I have a Ridgerunner and also have BigAgnes sleeping bag with integrated pad - I wonder if that combination would work inside the RR? Put a bit of air in the Big Agnes pad, slide it into the pocket of the BA sleeping bag and then just put that inside the RR? I have RR specific UQ's and a bunch of TQ's already, but wondered if anyone has tried that?
    That should work just fine.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    That was my very first set up for a few outings with my RR. Getting in and aligning the BA was a bit of a hassle though, at least for me.

If the RR is DL, you could try putting the pad between the layers and still use the BA bag. Might be worth trying both ways.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast