Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

3rd Annual AZ Spring Hang: choose location & dates

Got some feedback from the Fall hang that the Showers Point campground on Mt Lemmon was fun, but too "civilized". We have a couple of options:

1. Return to Showers point, move to site #2 (more level)
    2. Back to Turkey Creek, where we had our first Spring Hang
    3. Try a new spot: Madera Canyon, Huachucas, etc.

Showers Point opens up April 14th, so we could hang a week earlier than last year. The other spots have no date constraints. Any thoughts on when you'd like to get together?

Madera Canyon would be a new spot for many people, and has great freeway access for those coming from Phoenix, etc. No group sites though, we'd have to commandeer several individual sites.

My favorite campground is the Reef Townsite in the Huachucas. It is about the same drive as Turkey Creek, but there is a little more switchback driving up the mountain on a gravel road. Doable in a sedan the last time I drove it.

Thoughts on location?

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    DIY Multicam /DIY Argon1.6
    Tarp
    CaveCreekPonderosa
    Insulation
    CaveCreekQuilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I’ll toss a vote in for Huachucas. Thanks Kurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Got some feedback from the Fall hang that the Showers Point campground on Mt Lemmon was fun, but too "civilized". We have a couple of options:

1. Return to Showers point, move to site #2 (more level)
    2. Back to Turkey Creek, where we had our first Spring Hang
    3. Try a new spot: Madera Canyon, Huachucas, etc.

Showers Point opens up April 14th, so we could hang a week earlier than last year. The other spots have no date constraints. Any thoughts on when you'd like to get together?

Madera Canyon would be a new spot for many people, and has great freeway access for those coming from Phoenix, etc. No group sites though, we'd have to commandeer several individual sites.

My favorite campground is the Reef Townsite in the Huachucas. It is about the same drive as Turkey Creek, but there is a little more switchback driving up the mountain on a gravel road. Doable in a sedan the last time I drove it.

Thoughts on location?

--Kurt
    I will be at whatever location the group chooses. My preference would be :

1. Reef Townsite or Madera Canyon , Huachuca’s
    2. Turkey Creek, Chiricahua’s
    3. Showers point, site #2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randerson View Post
    I’ll toss a vote in for Huachucas. Thanks Kurt
    If somebody is interested we could organize a scouting expediting to the Huachucas over a weekend. I've never actually walked through the group campsite, it would be good to check it out. There's a covered ramada with picnic tables, so we won't have to bring all the canopies. Don't know how good the trees are for hanging though. I have hammock camped there, but just in an individual site.

We always have a contingent that comes early or leaves late to make their long drive worthwhile. This site has the advantage of having numerous individual sites next to the group site.

It also has some history to explore - it's an old mining camp. You can also bring your hang glider - there's a launch site right across the road from the camp.

Let me know if anyone is interested in a scouting trip. We can day hike up to Bathtub Spring, one of the most famous spots along the Arizona Trail.

--Kurt

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Dates: just checked my calendar and the 19th is Good Friday and the 21st is Easter so that weekend is out. The weekend before is Tax Day, so some folks may be holed up with a calculator. The 30th through May 4 is bad for me.

I'm thinking April 25-28 would be best. Let me know if you have issues with that weekend and if so would you want to do later or earlier?

--Kurt

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Dates: just checked my calendar and the 19th is Good Friday and the 21st is Easter so that weekend is out. The weekend before is Tax Day, so some folks may be holed up with a calculator. The 30th through May 4 is bad for me.

I'm thinking April 25-28 would be best. Let me know if you have issues with that weekend and if so would you want to do later or earlier?

--Kurt
    Happy New Year everyone....

I'm just trying to firm up dates for this year. I'm assuming that everyone has agreed that April - 25-28 will work for them so I have blocked those dates out on my calendar. I really liked Showers Point and The "chiricahua" mountains are closer to me then the other locations suggested. I really like the idea of the "Huachuca’s". I have never been there and I love trying out new locations.

We might also consider Northern NM (closer to RedFish), we may draw some of the folks from the Albuquerque area...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

I'm in wherever chosen, will be nice to be west. I'm just happy to be in a new year. :}

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    A new year has arrived now what to do?

funny-new-year-2019-quotes.jpg
    This high mountain campground and group day-use area is located on a site that was once occupied by the old Reef Townsite. That remote outpost got its name from the nearby Carr Reef, a tall band of quartzite-bearing cliffs that form the Huachuca Mountains' dramatic eastern front. Mining activity along the Reef began during the last few years of the nineteenth century and proceeded in fits and starts all the way into the 1950's. The property occupied by the mines and the town was returned to public ownership in 1970, and in 1988, the Forest Service constructed a campground on the townsite. A number of picnic tables and tent pads were placed within the visible outlines of old cabin foundations. Many relics of Reef's mining history, including the remains of the town's old water system and miscellaneous features, are still visible in and around the campground. Evidence of old mining digs and foundations for an ore mill provide points of interest along a three-quarter-mile interpretive trail which begins and ends at the northeastern end of the campground. In addition to the historic information, the views along that trail are well worth a visit. 14 sites elevation 7020
    or
    Tucked away inside Madera Canyon, Bog Springs Campground is paradise found. Agaves, junipers and big boulders decorate this small oasis, and an intricate network of hiking and biking trails begins here. Deer dart in and out of the surrounding forest, and you might even spot a turkey or four crossing the road — a group of Abbey Road-inspired gobblers.Turkeys aren’t the only birds you’ll see in Madera Canyon. Known worldwide for its migratory bird species, the canyon is home to the elusive elegant trogon. With red bellies and metallic green heads, the males are a sight to see. Pack your camera just in case.Campground amenities include sites with stone foundations and the standard picnic tables, fire pits and grills. Johns are just across from the Dutch John Spring trailhead. Insert your own joke here. While the amenities are nice, the scenery is the real draw of Bog Springs Campground — just ask the deer, turkeys and trogons.
    Elevation 5060 9 RV 13 tent
    or
    Showers group campground site 2 level sites close to parking.

Last edited by arczeneb; 01-01-2019 at 16:29.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Turkey Creek gets my vote.
    Too much traffic up on Mt Lemon

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Current April Schedule

April 13 : Gaslight Theater in Tucson
    April 17-20 : AZT section hike
    April 26-27 : National archery competition in UT for kids

So April is out for me. Let me know if it gets pushed to May.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast