Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    I use the Dutchware gear spliced on Dutch Hook on one end and the Dutch Wasp tarp connector on the other end for my CRL. I love the tarp worms for the guy lines, and I also use the clip on tarp pull outs and dual outside pole mods to open the tarp up.
    Same here.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

On one CRL (I guess it's the "Brooklyn Clothesline" style) I have a Stingerz on one end and a ridgeline 'biner on the other. Rather than run the CRL through the split rings, I simply clip the line along with the split ring in at each end. This keeps my CRL separate from the tarp.

On another CRL I have a Dutch Hook and a Wasp. Still trying to decide on what my favorite tensioners will be. I've played with several. (I'm not a Prusik fan...)

If I did a two-piece ridgeline, I guess I'd use Wasps.

For the tie-outs, I have loops of shock cord on the tarp. The tie-out cord is Zing-It with loops at the stake end and Fleaz used backwards (instead of using Tarp Worms) to hook to the shock cord loops. I just prefer the wrap-and-jam to the way Tarp Worms work. The Line-Loc Hooks from Dutch would accomplish the same thing using larger cordage. I don't like having my tie-outs attached to the tarp.
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-26-2018 at 15:18.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I notice a lot of y’all seem to use the CRL. What benefits do y’all find using a CRL over a two piece set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    I notice a lot of y’all seem to use the CRL. What benefits do y’all find using a CRL over a two piece set up?

I'm no expert on any of this and am in fact new to the system, but coming from HH with a CR (albeit one with both hammock and tarp attached) it just made sense to my feeble brain to have a single tarp RL.

I guess I also like the idea of having one fixed end and one adjustable end. In my head two separate end lines mean two points of adjustment.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket

I've tried both and prefer the split ridgeline myself with Flyz on each end. The first time you set up your tarp over your hammock, you gauge how much overhang you should have. From that point on, just make sure that you have that amount of overhang when you set up the first side; then it will be centered by the time you set up and add tension on the other side. It's super easy.

The CRL had problems with the prusiks being too difficult to adjust. I also did not like the Wasp, because it bites into the line too much. You have to yank extremely hard to get it undone. With cold hands, this is not fun at all. For this reason, the Flyz are much better, IMO.

Because I don't like to have lines semi-permanently attached to my tarps, the CRL (the type with tensioners) can be strung quickly and easily and then just clip/hook the tarp to the ridgeline. Some guys using the two piece ridgeline are very good at getting the tarp positioned over the hammock the first time, I'm not. I also like the CRL for those times that it makes sense to pitch the tarp first. In those cases, you'll almost certainly end up adjusting the tarp over the length of the hammock and I just find that easier to do with a CRL.

Your experience may be different.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Some guys using the two piece ridgeline are very good at getting the tarp positioned over the hammock the first time, I'm not.
    You don't want to just guess blindly. It's very easy; all you do is attach one line and pull it thru the Tarp Flyz (or whatever bling you have) until it's covering about 12" past the hammock end. So you know the other end will be the same once that side is done. You can fine tune after that, but you should never need to.

I'm still using oldschool Figure-9s for my four guy lines. I just like them and never switched for some reason. I should get some more Tarp Flyz for those as well just to see.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

Favorite Dutchware for Tarp Rigging

+1 for worms on tie outs--love them. I also use a worm on one side of the ridgeline (not CRL). Once that is set I pull the tarp out of the stuff sack and use a more adjustable option on the other side. Cant remember what it is called but it is tiny and I just pull to tighten one direction and it locks. Then pull the other direction to loosten.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    It's interesting how many people remove their tarps from their ridgelines. Why? Is it so that the lines/hardware don't rub on the tarp material while packed up? I've never bothered.

I just use a Dutch CRL with Hook and Wasp, and Tarpworms on the stake lines. All very easy. Lots of hate for the soft-shackle prusiks on here, but I have yet to have a problem with them. That may be because most of the time, I'm hanging from trees that are fairly close, so I've rarely had to adjust the CRL much from one use to the next. In inclement weather, it's also fairly easy with this setup to hang the tarp first, then hang the hammock underneath and adjust the tarp if needed.

I'm sort of fascinated with Tarpworms. So simple, yet so effective!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

It's adjustable from one end. No running back & forth. The two trees act like wheels of a pulley system. Tarp slides back & forth, easy to center over the hammock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MAD777; 10-26-2018 at 19:07.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast