SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    I dug down 30 inches and hit solid rock. I live in Arizona and my soil is decomposed granite. I think I’m going to dig a much wider whole, use concrete, install a top piece, and brace with 45s as necessary. I’ll probably also shorten the height to 7 foot or 7’6”. Time to improvise. I’m only about $100 into this project, so if I have to make some adjustments in a few years it’s not that big of a deal.
    Check out our Youtube page for some fun hammock videos https://www.youtube.com/c/LloydLiving

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Any reason in particular you wouldn't just use a portable hammock stand like a T-Dog, Tato or Tensa4? It offers more flexibility and then you wouldn't have to permanently modify your property.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogollon Monster View Post
    I dug down 30 inches and hit solid rock. I live in Arizona and my soil is decomposed granite. I think I’m going to dig a much wider whole, use concrete, install a top piece, and brace with 45s as necessary. I’ll probably also shorten the height to 7 foot or 7’6”. Time to improvise. I’m only about $100 into this project, so if I have to make some adjustments in a few years it’s not that big of a deal.
    That top piece will solve all of your problems as far as how deep your post needs to be or how wide and filled with concrete. My 1st stand had the uprights 15 feet apart, and they were- I know it is hard for some to believe- 2X4s, and I had the wide part( the "4" ) facing the hammock, so it would be much easier to flex and break. But I used it for years, and it never even threatened to flex. The top bar was mainly fence post top rail, with a short piece thicker fence post( fence post uprights?) over the joints where pieces of top rail were joined together to extend the length. Mind you, these 2x4 uprights were not even in the ground. Virtually all of the load was taken by the top rail, and it worked just fine for years. I only took it down because of complaints from my wife about how it looked. I currently hang from an all metal stand, nothing is in the ground, same thing: top rail does all the work. This is the old stand from free standing 2X4s:

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That top piece will solve all of your problems as far as how deep your post needs to be or how wide and filled with concrete. My 1st stand had the uprights 15 feet apart, and they were- I know it is hard for some to believe- 2X4s, and I had the wide part( the "4" ) facing the hammock, so it would be much easier to flex and break. But I used it for years, and it never even threatened to flex. The top bar was mainly fence post top rail, with a short piece thicker fence post( fence post uprights?) over the joints where pieces of top rail were joined together to extend the length. Mind you, these 2x4 uprights were not even in the ground. Virtually all of the load was taken by the top rail, and it worked just fine for years. I only took it down because of complaints from my wife about how it looked. I currently hang from an all metal stand, nothing is in the ground, same thing: top rail does all the work. This is the old stand from free standing 2X4s:

That is a big relief. I'm prepared to overbuild this thing if need be, but I think it will be solid. I'll have it done by tomorrow and I'll post some pictures.
    Check out our Youtube page for some fun hammock videos https://www.youtube.com/c/LloydLiving

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Any reason in particular you wouldn't just use a portable hammock stand like a T-Dog, Tato or Tensa4? It offers more flexibility and then you wouldn't have to permanently modify your property.
    I live on a couple of acres and have pleanty of room to play with. I just think it will be more fun to have a structure. My kids and I make youtube videos and we have a bunch of ideas that we plan on shooting. The idea of the permenent structure is to create kind of a hammock lab where we can get crazy with stuff. Plus I want the confidence to be able to jump in there with the kids and not worry about things tipping over.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I live on a couple of acres and have pleanty of room to play with. I just think it will be more fun to have a structure. My kids and I make youtube videos and we have a bunch of ideas that we plan on shooting. The idea of the permenent structure is to create kind of a hammock lab where we can get crazy with stuff. Plus I want the confidence to be able to jump in there with the kids and not worry about things tipping over.
    Some of my favorite DIY tensahedron stands are NOT very portable at all, made in heavy materials likely to outlast wood posts in the ground, and extra stable because of the heaviness. Haven't seen one this heavy yet, but would love to:

- 4 2" diameter galvanized or powdercoat steel pipes, 9-10' long. Long enough for bridges, no worries about roughhousing hurting or upsetting anything.
    - Galvanized chain, swingset grade, for the base, ridge, and guylines. Leave some slack in the head guyline so the whole thing can bounce or move a bit, extra fun, or just use a really heavy head counterweight like a boulder or interesting chunk of tractor iron, >100lbs.
    - Foot anchor to a stout ground screw, heavy steel stake hammered in a couple feet, or eye in concrete pier, as good as permanent but ultimately movable.

A conversation piece, highly functional, yet you could still easily fold it up into a column of those 4 poles and stow vertically or horizontally, say to make way for a mower or other function, or drag it someplace else in the yard to suit the season or occasion. Maybe let climbing vines grow over it!

As for crazy hammock lab stuff, just keep adding poles: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1925138
    Last edited by Latherdome; 10-24-2018 at 20:15.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I went with 6x6 x 12 with four feet buried and I used stone and concrete. I went 16' apart because one of my hammocks is a RR.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Here is the semi final product. I left the posts long because I think they look cool. I may add some 45's for bracing, but it's rock solid right now. I'm also going to add some eyelets once I determine the perfect strap location for my various hammocks. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post a more detailed video soon on my Youtube channel. FYI the Hammock in the photos is a Luxury Bridge made by Mr. Townsend. I love this hammock dearly. The Tarp is a 13' SLD Winter Haven.

IMG_5004.pngIMG_5007.pngIMG_5011.pngIMG_5014.png

Images
    Here is the semi final product. I left the posts long because I think they look cool. I may add some 45's for bracing, but it's rock solid right now. I'm also going to add some eyelets once I determine the perfect strap location for my various hammocks. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post a more detailed video soon on my Youtube channel. FYI the Hammock in the photos is a Luxury Bridge made by Mr. Townsend. I love this hammock dearly. The Tarp is a 13' SLD Winter Haven.

IMG_5004.pngIMG_5007.pngIMG_5011.pngIMG_5014.png
    Looks like it will handle a lot of weight if needed!

Is that a creek down the hill from your hammock? If so, which creek? You are in Payson, right?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Looks like it will handle a lot of weight if needed!

Is that a creek down the hill from your hammock? If so, which creek? You are in Payson, right?
    Not sure if the creek has a name. Its a dry creek that runs through Star Valley. It only runs during big rains.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast