I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was just up on the SHT and saw nobody.
    Bliss.
    Bare trees. Dried leave on ground. Loved it.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Bliss.

Shug
    The benefits of a weekday warrior! Lately I've been almost forced to start on Thursday nights. Times are changin.

You're like me, you go during the week or not at peak times. This does not mean that the trail is not suffering from overcrowding (I am not inferring that you think it's not). The fact of the matter is that almost all the tent pads in the campsites on the southern half of the trail are cupped out due to overuse, while at the same time, people are camping in very unlikely spots (I could go into gory details). The answer is to develop alternatives to the SHT to ease the overcrowding. Lots of land in the BWCA where trails could be developed while still keeping with the wilderness nature of the region. Another alternative is properly maintaining the Border Route trail or maybe even opening up the Kekekabic trail.
    Bliss.

Shug
    Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    We have some very nice areas on the NCT here in far northern WI that seem to go under the radar for the most part (which I don't mind at all) We don't have the raging rivers and only a couple of small over looks but we do have more lakes and a lot of nice old growth primitive areas. I'm a little biased as my property borders it and spend a lot of time hiking / working on it but worth checking out if you're seeking a break from the ever growing popularity of the SHT or can't get out through the week. Sorry InfuriatedMax, don't mean to hijack your thread.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Wow those fall colors. Beautiful. I can see why the trail is such a draw. And it’s great your friends enjoyed themselves. Always fun to go with folks. Enjoyed all the camera angles even the overhead shot. Was that from the food bag?
    Thank you TallPaul, That camera angle is actually the go pro on a hiking stick. I like getting an overhead view of the camp from time to time. I enjoy the specific feedback on the camera angles. Sometimes it can get tough trying to show off a site. Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmello View Post
    I made my first trip to the SHT on Friday as well. I started out on the highway 1 trailhead and headed south to silver bay. The amount of people of the trail made the trip horrific. I couldn’t find I started around noon and by the time I got to the campsites, there hardly any space. Found a pair of trees near Pallisade creek and hung for the night. But because of the people I was going to stay Friday Saturday and Sunday but cut it short and drove to Yellow River State forest In northern Iowa.

Beautiful but too many people. Attachment 169565
    First off, very beautiful picture. Was that just taken with a phone? Looks fancy. Your trip sounds like mine. Lots of people and the sites filling up quickly. I am glad you found a spot to stay for at least one night. We thought of another night but the group wanted to just head home. We knew we wouldn’t get any quiet on the SHT during the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    We have some very nice areas on the NCT here in far northern WI that seem to go under the radar for the most part (which I don't mind at all) We don't have the raging rivers and only a couple of small over looks but we do have more lakes and a lot of nice old growth primitive areas. I'm a little biased as my property borders it and spend a lot of time hiking / working on it but worth checking out if you're seeking a break from the ever growing popularity of the SHT or can't get out through the week. Sorry InfuriatedMax, don't mean to hijack your thread.
    All good, I actually appreciate it. That's what the forums are for. To share good sites and tricks, tips, and even vent a little bit. I have done some hiking on the NCT, but will have to start looking into WI NCT. So you helped me in this thread rather than hijacking it. Researching that now.

Bliss.

Shug
    Slightly Jealous. It is so pretty this time of year. I assume you were maybe a little further north or during the week. What is your secret to avoid the crowds?
    My Youtube Channel: A Year In Camping
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiu...6KWtT23dHHXj1w

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by InfuriatedMax View Post
    All good, I actually appreciate it. That's what the forums are for. To share good sites and tricks, tips, and even vent a little bit. I have done some hiking on the NCT, but will have to start looking into WI NCT. So you helped me in this thread rather than hijacking it. Researching that now.
    Good deal, no worries then, just don't like to step on toes. Just FYI: We offer free shuttles as long as a volunteer is available. In fact two members got together so they could run a long shuttle for a hiker who wanted to do the whole WI section. Also in case you don't run across it we have a reroute right now in the Rainbow Lake Wilderness because of the flood this year. It's not too bad of a reroute but it unfortunately walks down a seldom taken route that has one of my secret camping lakes on it Then you have to walk a forest road for a bit but not for long.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by InfuriatedMax View Post
    Thank you TallPaul, That camera angle is actually the go pro on a hiking stick. I like getting an overhead view of the camp from time to time. I enjoy the specific feedback on the camera angles. Sometimes it can get tough trying to show off a site. Thank you again.

First off, very beautiful picture. Was that just taken with a phone? Looks fancy. Your trip sounds like mine. Lots of people and the sites filling up quickly. I am glad you found a spot to stay for at least one night. We thought of another night but the group wanted to just head home. We knew we wouldn’t get any quiet on the SHT during the weekend.

Slightly Jealous. It is so pretty this time of year. I assume you were maybe a little further north or during the week. What is your secret to avoid the crowds?
    I go weekdays in crappy weather and head further North to get a bit further than a lot of folks want to drive.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Bliss.

Shug
    I'm heading up to camp near Split Rock River Sunday through Tuesday. I'm hoping to experience similar solitude and beauty.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    [QUOTE=InfuriatedMax;1928864]Thank you TallPaul, That camera angle is actually the go pro on a hiking stick. I like getting an overhead view of the camp from time to time. I enjoy the specific feedback on the camera angles. Sometimes it can get tough trying to show off a site. Thank you again.

I usually carry either a Sony a6300 or a Sony a7rii. This photo was with the a6300. I tend to be more of a photographer than videographer.

I was kinda disappointed as I was really hoping for a good leisurely trip. It’s nearly a 10 hour drive from home to the SHT and this was my first visit. I’ll have to try a midweek visit one of these days, but due to the distance that may be a while before I get back that direction. Great trail and beautiful surroundings, but just too many people on that section. Also, my plans will include starting really early and pushing the pace to ensure I get a camping spot. I did the 4 pass loop a couple of years ago over a weekend and it was like a race between campsites. People were pushing pace just to find some place for the night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12