Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Video: Superior Hiking Trail (Penn Creek Camp) 4 turned into 47 real quick!

I had the bright idea of taking some friends out to the Superior Hiking Trail in the fall. We decided on hiking in the Silver Bay area would be perfect for the fall colors. Everyone else also thought so as well.

The parking lot was completely full, there were even some trailers set up with a satellite dish. Now Penn Creek Camp is only about 2 miles in on a moderate trail with some slight elevation change. With it being about 45º it was a nice hike in on a Saturday. The trails were overly muddy and very packed with day hikers. The Silver Bay area is one of the most popular sections of the Superior Hiking trail.

Once we finally arrived at Penn Creek campsite there was only one other couple there. Great news for us, the Penn Creek site has around 6-8 tent pads. If you ever go to the site, hike all the way back on the creek and you will find a site that is a little more private than the others which is perfect if it is not taken.

We spend the next two hours setting up and gathering firewood because the temps were going to get to the 30ºs. About three o'clock in the afternoon we start to look across the site and see this string of backpacks moving through the woods. By five o'clock there were 43 new campers and 16 tents spread over the trail and other camp pads. It ended up being a high school group for a class.

With the Latrines being out in the open none of the kids wanted to use them. So they were bushwhacking it in the woods. We had kids constantly walking through or nearby our camp to go relieve themselves in the woods. Some had no perception of how close we were to them. The trails were covered with tents and spilling over into the woods crushing the vegetation.

The next day we begin hiking out and we were stepping over tents and weaving back and forth. I happened to catch one of the adults and mention to him that 16 tents is a little much for this site and you should encourage the kids to use the tent pads instead of crushing vegetation. All he said was "sorry for the noise" and walked away. I left that site with mixed feelings. I am happy there are classes for kids to learn the outdoors and camp, but disappointed that the teachers don't practice the leave no trace.

Does anyone know if there is a Tent limited to a site on the SHT? I am thinking of reaching out to the school but I don't think that will get me anywhere.

Here is a video focused on the trip with not much focus on the tent invasion.
    My Youtube Channel: A Year In Camping
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiu...6KWtT23dHHXj1w

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I would be irate, but it's everyone's land to use, so...ugh.

Very timely as I just joked about the SHT being "Grand Central Station" in another thread minutes ago!

Just looking at the website FAQ:

Q: What is a SHT campsite like?

Each campsite has 2 to 8 tent pads, a fire ring and a backcountry latrine. Users must pack out all trash and should not dispose of trash in the fire pit or latrine. Keeping a clean campsite and hanging food at night will help to prevent bears and rodents from becoming a problem. Campfires should be built only in the constructed fire ring. This ring has been dug out to remove root structures which can smolder and burn below the surface.

Q: What if all tent pads are occupied when I arrive at a campsite?

Use an area near the established tent pads for your sleeping gear. Share the established fire ring area and latrine. Do not build additional fire rings or camp in locations other than established campsites.

But if they did their homework before going, like they should have, I think they should have chose another venue knowing they were going in with 16 tents. Or get a few large tents to share.

Hammock
    Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Why so infuriated? During peak colors, on a weekend, on a popular spot on the trail you have to expect this. At least they were quiet and not rude. Not everyone on the trail is as experienced or plans as well as others. With a group that size, I would hope the group leader would choose a multi-group site, but again no bodies perfect. I am imagining with the inexperienced high school hikers, hiking farther up the trail may not have been feasible. Your report is a little more negative than the video. Next time go farther north or on a week day or in February (kidding). Nice video.

Your experience is not unusual, I’ve had similar things happen a number of times on the SHT. On weekends and during holiday periods, the trail just gets too crowded and the campsites are overwhelmed. Boy Scout troops are the worst, if one shows up in camp, even in the middle of the night, I pack up and leave.

Now, if you get to know the trail, you can work around this. For example, on your hike, you could have headed straight back from the Penn Avenue parking lot, over the hill with the radio tower and down the other side. There you will come to an atv trail, turn right and walk around a mile (or so) to come to a major intersection with another atv trail, turn left and, in around another mile the trail will end at the foot of Bean Lake. Hike around the lake outlet where there is a nice campsite (that is usually taken) and continue to hike around the lake and you will come to many nice campsites that border the lake. There are also a number of paths inland that lead to nice spots. Afterwards, if you want to get back on the SHT, from the foot of Bean Lake walk back along the atv trail and look for an unmarked trail on your left. It’s about 200 yards from Bean Lake, take this trail about a half mile up the escarpment to where it joins the SHT. I did this coming from the other direction when I tried to camp at Bear Lake, which was an absolute zoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I would be irate, but it's everyone's land to use, so...ugh.

Very timely as I just joked about the SHT being "Grand Central Station" in another thread minutes ago!
    I just saw that. It is everyones land to use. I reviewed the FAQ but couldn't find a hard limit. They should have split the group or crowded the tent pads in my opinion rather than camp on the trail. Too many sites on the SHT are getting more and more barren of vegetation.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post
    Why so infuriated? During peak colors, on a weekend, on a popular spot on the trail you have to expect this. At least they were quiet and not rude. Not everyone on the trail is as experienced or plans as well as others. With a group that size, I would hope the group leader would choose a multi-group site, but again no bodies perfect. I am imagining with the inexperienced high school hikers, hiking farther up the trail may not have been feasible. Your report is a little more negative than the video. Next time go farther north or on a week day or in February (kidding). Nice video.
    I didn't think I was that negative and I apologize if it comes off that way, it was not my intention. I just would have thought a class that teaches about camping would teach the basics of leave no trace. Hard for me to enjoy the outdoors when people are peeing 15 ft from where I hang my hammock. You are right, go during the week or further north. The couple I went with was there first time hiking in and I wanted to pick a easier closer spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Now, if you get to know the trail, you can work around this. For example, on your hike, you could have headed straight back from the Penn Avenue parking lot, over the hill with the radio tower and down the other side. There you will come to an atv trail, turn right and walk around a mile (or so) to come to a major intersection with another atv trail, turn left and, in around another mile the trail will end at the foot of Bean Lake. Hike around the lake outlet where there is a nice campsite (that is usually taken) and continue to hike around the lake and you will come to many nice campsites that border the lake. There are also a number of paths inland that lead to nice spots. Afterwards, if you want to get back on the SHT, from the foot of Bean Lake walk back along the atv trail and look for an unmarked trail on your left. It’s about 200 yards from Bean Lake, take this trail about a half mile up the escarpment to where it joins the SHT. I did this coming from the other direction when I tried to camp at Bear Lake, which was an absolute zoo.
    I do know the trail but have not explored that area. I will in the future. Thank you very much for this tip. The Silver Bay area seems to have been getting more and more popular over the last few years lately.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    I’m with you. Dispersed impromptu latrines and tents on the trail constitute bad manners. Too bad the conditions at the site weren’t any better.

As a more solitary type, I think my SHT trips will largely be limited to less-traveled areas and the limits of the shoulder seasons. Still, I find it’s always worth going, even when things are crowded.

Did your friends enjoy it? Do you think they’ll go again?

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I’m with you. Dispersed impromptu latrines and tents on the trail constitute bad manners. Too bad the conditions at the site weren’t any better.

As a more solitary type, I think my SHT trips will largely be limited to less-traveled areas and the limits of the shoulder seasons. Still, I find it’s always worth going, even when things are crowded.

Did your friends enjoy it? Do you think they’ll go again?
    My friends loved the whole experience. We talked into the night and I tried telling them that having a large group at a site is not normal, but sharing sites on the SHT usually is during peak seasons. They want to go again soon. I promised them next time we go it will most likely be further north to get away from the crowds or hit up some of the Border Route trail since that is not as occupied.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    High School and College groups do this irresponsible bull**** all the time on the trail. The lack of planning or concern makes me want to scream at them. Just unleashing a huge group on the trail like that with out planning for appropriate sites, limiting your group or breaking into several groups instead of just vomiting a horde upon the trail. This is why in the boundary waters your groups are limited to 9 people and 3 canoes. With the huge surge in popularity of the SHT and backpacking / hiking in general they are going to have to follow suit unfortunately on the SHT if they don't want it destroyed. As some say its important to expose young people to nature and outdoor rec but not in this manner. I'd rather they stay off the trail. Especially if you're not going to monitor your group and let them do whatever they want.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Wow those fall colors. Beautiful. I can see why the trail is such a draw. And it’s great your friends enjoyed themselves. Always fun to go with folks. Enjoyed all the camera angles even the overhead shot. Was that from the food bag?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by InfuriatedMax View Post
    I had the bright idea of taking some friends out to the Superior Hiking Trail in the fall. We decided on hiking in the Silver Bay area would be perfect for the fall colors. Everyone else also thought so as well.

The parking lot was completely full, there were even some trailers set up with a satellite dish. Now Penn Creek Camp is only about 2 miles in on a moderate trail with some slight elevation change. With it being about 45º it was a nice hike in on a Saturday. The trails were overly muddy and very packed with day hikers. The Silver Bay area is one of the most popular sections of the Superior Hiking trail.

Once we finally arrived at Penn Creek campsite there was only one other couple there. Great news for us, the Penn Creek site has around 6-8 tent pads. If you ever go to the site, hike all the way back on the creek and you will find a site that is a little more private than the others which is perfect if it is not taken.

We spend the next two hours setting up and gathering firewood because the temps were going to get to the 30ºs. About three o'clock in the afternoon we start to look across the site and see this string of backpacks moving through the woods. By five o'clock there were 43 new campers and 16 tents spread over the trail and other camp pads. It ended up being a high school group for a class.

With the Latrines being out in the open none of the kids wanted to use them. So they were bushwhacking it in the woods. We had kids constantly walking through or nearby our camp to go relieve themselves in the woods. Some had no perception of how close we were to them. The trails were covered with tents and spilling over into the woods crushing the vegetation.

The next day we begin hiking out and we were stepping over tents and weaving back and forth. I happened to catch one of the adults and mention to him that 16 tents is a little much for this site and you should encourage the kids to use the tent pads instead of crushing vegetation. All he said was "sorry for the noise" and walked away. I left that site with mixed feelings. I am happy there are classes for kids to learn the outdoors and camp, but disappointed that the teachers don't practice the leave no trace.

Does anyone know if there is a Tent limited to a site on the SHT? I am thinking of reaching out to the school but I don't think that will get me anywhere.

Here is a video focused on the trip with not much focus on the tent invasion.

I made my first trip to the SHT on Friday as well. I started out on the highway 1 trailhead and headed south to silver bay. The amount of people of the trail made the trip horrific. I couldn’t find I started around noon and by the time I got to the campsites, there hardly any space. Found a pair of trees near Pallisade creek and hung for the night. But because of the people I was going to stay Friday Saturday and Sunday but cut it short and drove to Yellow River State forest In northern Iowa.

Beautiful but too many people. 4057F572-6F17-45AA-9EB6-CAD7EF171EB2.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast