Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Incubator vs. Phoenix

I would like to ask for some three season hang HG underquilt insulation advice?

1. Which model is preferred if you have used both?

2. Do you own one but wish you purchased the other and why?

3. Better to own the incubator for shoulder season and Phoenix for summer, thoughts?

4. If you were to just select one for three season hammocking which model and temp would you now go with and elaborate on your decision?

Answer one, some or all, excited for feedback ...Thanks!

------------------------------
    edit: I own a warbonnet yeti in 20 degrees and find it's warm in the summer and was leaning towards lighter and cooler temp rating for three season.
    Last edited by Spike; 10-23-2018 at 09:31.
    Instagram: TakeaHikeSpike
    Web: spike.ca
    YouTube: TakeaHikeSpike

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    3 season - I'll take the Phoenix 20 degree. I'm a backpacker so weight and volume matter to me. Colder than 20, I'd strongly consider the Incubator, but I'm not much of a winter camper.

Hammock
    Dutchware/Dream
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    1. Really depends on the circumstance. If I'm camping in my backyard, I'll take the Incubator every time, just because it's more comfortable to have full coverage.

2. I have both full and 3/4 UQs.

3. Yes, I do this. I use a full length for actual cold temps, like freezing or under. Or if I'm car camping.

4. If I were to just select one for three season, I'd go with the Phoenix for the weight advantage. That is the higher priority for me.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I follow the 10* buffer rule - make sure your quilts are rated at least 10* lower than the expected lows. This is basically because there aren't many weather stations out in the woods and it can be colder than the Weather Channel says. I went to a group hang once, and the Weather Channel said the overnight low would be 18* F. The Weather Channel wasn't wrong by much - it was -3* F! Luckily, I brought 20* and 0* quilts and stacked them.

For 30* F and above, I use either a 20* Phoenix or a 40* Phoenix. I don't need any additional insulation in the footbox of my topquilt for those temps. However, when it gets in the 20s, I will stick a down jacket or wool anorak in the footbox because my feet are the first thing to get cold.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    1. Which model is preferred if you have used both?

Phoenix

2. Do you own one but wish you purchased the other and why?

Own both, like both, LOVE the Phoenix more

3. Better to own the incubator for shoulder season and Phoenix for summer, thoughts?

My 20F Phoenix w/overstuff has kept me cozy warm to the low 20s and I know I could go a good bit colder. If I was going below 10 I would use the Incubator. My 40F Phoenix is the bomb down to 40F.

4. If you were to just select one for three season hammocking which model and temp would you now go with and elaborate on your decision?
    Phoenix 20 w/1 oz overstuff. It can go lower than its rating, packs smaller than the Incubator (& weighs less). It only needs my sit pad, which I take anyway, inside my TQ to be perfect. Sometimes, though, I take a 1/8" pad folded a few times & sometimes an inflatable sitpad like Shug uses.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    I have a 20* Phoenix and 0* Incubator. I mostly camp in central MN, and I sleep cold. As a result, I mainly use the Phoenix in the summer, but bring the Incubator if overnight low is predicted to be below freezing. For serious winter use (haven't tried this except in my back yard), I would bring both UQs and stack them.

I am happy with my kit, but if I were doing it over again, I think I would take the weight penalty and buy the 20* Incubator instead of the Phoenix. It's just a bit of a hassle keeping a sit pad properly situated at my feet when I toss and turn at night. I think the sit pad thing works better for a less restless sleeper.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have one FL UQ and several 3/4 UQs. Have only used the FL UQ twice in about 7 years. The 3/4 UQs work just fine, costs less, takes up less space and weighs less than a FL of equal temp rating. If it is real cold out I just throw my jacket down at the foot end and rest my feet on that for insulation.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    My summer quilt is a Phoenix. For winter nothing beats that full size Downy comfort.

I have never owned or used a Phoenix, or any partial length underquilt. However, before I switched to an underquilt, I used a partial length pad. The worst part was that my feet were always cold. When going to an underquilt, I opted for the Incubator so that I wouldn't have to worry about my feet. Sticking clothing or a backpack under them does not sound pleasant, especially after a long day of hiking. I do not take a sit pad, so that option is out. If a partial works for you, more power to you. But for me the approx. 6 ounce weight penalty was worth it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I tried partial length underquilts but couldn't warm up to this style. I hated the additional pressure on my legs, couldn't get rid of the air channels and couldn't keep the sit pad in place. I used Incubators for a long time, until Warbonnet introduced the Wooki. That fixed all of the issues I kept having with shock cord suspended uqs. But I'm still hesitant to sell my last Incubator, because apart from the suspension it's such a fine underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast