WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Stacking quilts on the Ridgerunner

I haven't hung below the mid-40s. Do you think putting a Costco down blanket between the WBRR and the full length 3 season Ridge Creek XL will help, hurt or have no effect? I have the Spindrift sock and the RR is a DL, so I could add a pad if that might help. It will probably go into the mid-20s at night and I don't know what to expect. I was planning on using a 20 degree bag as a TQ. I would appreciate any advice or ideas. Thanks
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I would use shock cord instead. Paracord won't let the quilt deflect when you load the hammock and you can either crush the insulation or rip out the attachment points if you much weight is in it. Those bungee cords with the little hooks on the end ( smallest you can find ) will work it you don't have for can't find shock cord. You want it to be up against your backside but not compressed. But yeah you def need a longer cord as they aren't designed for 11' hammocks. Even my 10° OneTigis and 50° Subito UQ's needed some mods to fit my hammocks.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
    I haven't hung below the mid-40s. Do you think putting a Costco down blanket between the WBRR and the full length 3 season Ridge Creek XL will help, hurt or have no effect? I have the Spindrift sock and the RR is a DL, so I could add a pad if that might help. It will probably go into the mid-20s at night and I don't know what to expect. I was planning on using a 20 degree bag as a TQ. I would appreciate any advice or ideas. Thanks
    As long as I doesn't pull the RC away and create a gap you should be fine I would think.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Stacking quilts on the Ridgerunner

Thanks, I guess I will give it a try and see if it makes any difference.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
    Combining UQ's is a good idea for making it possible to hang in colder weather, until you can buy a Winter UQ. In the video, the OP, mentions using an UQ protector with this quilt combo. That sounds like good insurance to compensate for any side gaps that may form at the edges. Having the larger quilt on the outside makes sense, if they are both down or both synthetic. I am not sure though, when the insulation is of different types.

I have an Arrowhead RidgeCreek UQ, not the XL. I have been thinking of combining that with a full length 40 degree Lynx. I was planning on putting the RidgeCreek on the inside. I thought that the synthetic would be less prone to losing loft than the down UQ on the inside. Also because the RidgeCreek is not full length, I would have the additional benefit of sealing off the ends of the shorter RidgeCreek underneath, not that it needs it though. OTOH maybe it would be better to have the synthetic on the outside, where it can do a better job shedding wind than the down UQ.

Interesting to hear about OlTrailDog's use of the RidgeCreek layering on the 90 degree Hammock tent, I was wondering about that too. With it's cat cuts on all four sides, it seems like it could work on several different hammock styles, although I know that the RidgeCreeks are designed to be used only for the WBRR.
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 11-10-2018 at 15:36.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    your Lynx clone looks great. I'd be curious how much difference you noticed just between your 2 underquilts (faux baffles vs sewn thru) in a real overnight test (Assuming they've got similar levels of fill)

I've debated about adding the faux baffles to my sunroom setup, but even sewn thru, I'm fine in there at -10c (as there's no wind)

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Tonight should get down to around 25-28° and I have both CDT quilts stacked for the ultimate test. I've had the regular GE one down to 35° or so and was fine. The Lynx clone is overstuffed as well, plus the baffles so I'm guessing at least 35° and possibly a little lower. So far tonight the temp forcast for tonight has been on the low side and Im also using the -10° Burrow so i.doubt I'll get cold lol. I will report back in the morning on how the UQ's made out.

Your video was especially timely. Several of us are planning for a couple of nights out up in the SC mountains at the end of November and will almost certainly need to think about lower temperatures and using whatever tricks we have to stay warm.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Glad I could help. It got down to 27° last night and I was plenty warm on my backside using the 2 CDT quilts. I did use the -10° Burrow on top just because it was late when I set up and I didn't want to worry about stacking TQ's also since I don't have a 20°. Thats my next experiment , stacking my CDT TQ inside my 40° Econ Burrow ZIP to see how low it will go. I also want to see how low the Lynx clone will take me on its own. My guess is only into the mid to low 30's since the sides usually have some gaps. I have used the gathered end CDT into the 30's in conjunction with my WB xl sock and -10 Burrow though and it's sewn through. It will be interesting to see if the faux baffles really make a big difference , or if the juice isnt worth the squeeze so to say. Having a lower rated TQ could be skewing the results so I'll try it with my 30° Snugpak TQ to see if that makes a big difference as well. Man testing all this stuff is fun! I'm so glad it's finally cold outside again!

Also, on a side note, I took my chances last night and removed the netting from my RR since it was a) below freezing , and b) cold enough for me to not hear a single insect after dark lol. But you better believe I took the better part of 45 mins inspecting every inch of my rig, the trees , the ground etc. just to make sure lol. Man was I paranoid when I woke up at 9am and to my horror it had crept above freezing again! After the " earwig incident of '16" I don't do netless if its above 32° lol. The equation is simple really ~ Moving bugs = spider food , warm hammock + cold air = place for said bug to hide/stay warm = spider in my hammock. 'Nuff said.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12