Assembling a steel pipe hammock stand

I currently live in a place where I don't trust the walls, so I purchased galvanized steel pipe to construct a stand.

I am not sure what is the best way to assemble the cross bar. What I have is two 60" 1-" steel galivanized pipes, a universal joint and two elbow joints.

I don't know whether to affix each pipe to the elbow joint first or whether to connect them and then affix one end at a time.

I've never done this before, and am not sure about the safest and easiest way to do this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JJMurphy; 10-21-2018 at 07:40.
    JJ Murphy
    www.TheJoyfulForager.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMurphy View Post
    I currently live in a place where I don't trust the walls, so I purchased galvanized steel pipe to construct a stand.

I am not sure what is the best way to assemble the cross bar. What I have is two 60" 1-" steel galivanized pipes, a universal joint and two elbow joints.

I don't know whether to affix each pipe to the elbow joint first or whether to connect them and then affix one end at a time.

I've never done this before, and am not sure about the safest and easiest way to do this.

Thanks.
    I have two pipe stands that I have built, and have the union in the middle of top pipe. I use them all the time and they are great, but, No matter what you do, it is not all that easy to assemble/disassemble. I keep thinking that I would like to replace the heavy top pipe with a smaller or lighter pipe and instead of having to thread the pipes into the elbow, maybe drill holes in the elbows and in the top pipe ends, so I could just put a pin in each end to secure the top pipe. It would make assembly and disassembly a lot easier.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMurphy View Post
    ...I am not sure what is the best way to assemble the cross bar. What I have is two 60" 1-" steel galivanized pipes, a universal joint and two elbow joints.

I don't know whether to affix each pipe to the elbow joint first or whether to connect them and then affix one end at a time...
    Assemble both halves of the stand and then connect the union fitting in the center of the cross bar.

Thanks to all of you for enhancing my knowledge. I did get it assembled. I am grateful to know about some alternatives. This is one heavy-duty hammock stand.
    JJ Murphy
    www.TheJoyfulForager.com

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    I built one. They are pretty fun to play with. I even used it in the wild 3-4 times. My only gripe is how much sway you get. Everytime I roll over, I feel the boat rocking for a minute or so. In the end, I decided to build a permanent structure in the back yard.

Check out our Youtube page for some fun hammock videos https://www.youtube.com/c/LloydLiving

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Assemble both halves of the stand and then connect the union fitting in the center of the cross bar.
    After watching the video in post #6, I thought I should clarify that my assembly advise applies when using a 'union fitting' to connect the two halves of the cross bar while the 'coupler fitting' used in the video requires assembly as shown in the video.

• + New Posts