Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly

Not a hanger yet

Hi All, I’m thinking of making the change from tent camping to hanging. I mainly camp in the BW of Minnesota but also a little around home. Being a side sleeper with back issues, the RR seems like the right choice for my first hammock. I only camp in BW in early spring and fall when bad weather is the norm rather than the exception. My main concern are what tarp to use and what suspension system to choose.

I’ve done a lot of reading here and elsewhere and see there are a lot of differing opinions and old info out there. The Superfly or Cloudburst seem like the obvious choices but I’m worried about the doors not being able to close during a bad storm. Am I just worrying for nothing? I’ve been cold and wet in bad tents and would rather not go through that again.

Can anyone put my mind at ease with either of those WB tarps or suggest some other choices? Any advice/suggestions on tarp and suspension setups for newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Moray

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I'm often a sidesleeper- the Ridgerunner is very comfortable for me at 5'6". If you're worried about tarps you can choose a custom Superfly that's 13' rather than the normal 12' for an extra $20. Personally, I have a 13' rectanglar tarp that I like, but haven't used it in high winds yet (lots of rain, thou).
    Last edited by HarveyM; 10-22-2018 at 06:53.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    A bridge hammock MAY indeed be best for you, but a preference for side sleeping in a bed says little about how you would sleep in a hammock, gathered end or otherwise. I would roll around constantly in a bed, but gravitated toward side and stomach sleeping. In a gathered end hammock, I'm out like a light on my back. Sometimes I will doze off with reading glasses on and wake up 8 hours later with them undisturbed on my nose, my book still open on my chest: never moved. That would NEVER happen in a bed. I will occasionally shift to my side while still awake, but invariably end up on my back when down for the count.

If you haven't tried a good gathered end, I wouldn't rule it out just yet. I agree that bridges feel more like a bed, but it turns out that's why I don't like them as much as a GE! You may be different, but only one way to know.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    Check out the custom tarp option on the Warbonnet site. You can get a 13’ Cloudburst with the panel pulls set for the RR, panel pulls set to the proper distance, doors and a few other options to really dial in how you want to set it up. The cost tops out around $190 but that’s with every possible add on.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...-tarp-builder/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Thanks for the responses. I will look into customizing tarp options. I have tried a GE hammock last BW trip. It was just a hammock setup for lounging around camp. I couldn’t seem to get comfortable while just reading in it. My back doesn’t seem to like the sag. I wish it wasn’t so,would give me a lot more options. I’m hoping the RR will help me sleep better when camping. I tend to wake up stiff and sore tent camping. Certainly can’t hurt to try!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Moray View Post
    I have tried a GE hammock last BW trip. It was just a hammock setup for lounging around camp. I couldn’t seem to get comfortable while just reading in it. My back doesn't seem to like the sag.
    Often the "lounging" hammocks are smaller than those intended for sleeping on and therefore don't always allow for a diagonal lay necessary to be able to lay relatively flat. You may find it more comfortable on a longer, wider gathered end hammock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 wide netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Bandit / JRB
    Suspension
    dependes
    I have a RR, BB XLC and the Traveler XL and honestly, I only sleep on my side in bed at home however, when I'm in my hammocks I sleep on my back. Out of the 3 the RR is my least favorite which is the opposite as many. I have found that it took me several days/nights to get comfortable in a hammock period but when I did, I prefer the snuggly no pressure points of a gathered end. I agree with the others above, try a longer gathered end more than once before you make the jump if possible however, you cannot go wrong with any of the choices.

Good luck and welcome!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Don’t feel that you have to have doors on your tarp!

Doors are a fairly recent trend and I would suggest that the vast majority* of hammockers don’t have doors on their tarps.

Not having doors means that your connection to the outdoors is greater and your setup is a little easier, but you may prefer the cover or weather protection.

* based on absolutely no evidence!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    The Thought of not having a way to shutout the rain is a little unnerving to me. I’ve weathered to many spring T-storms with sideways rain and temps in the 40’s. I guess I’m trying to get best of both worlds. The shelter of a tent with sleep comfort of a hammock. This is the reason I want to try hanging. Even with doors I would still have the option of opening up tarp in porch setup. I love the connection to the outdoors and often remove the fly on my tent to star gaze. As for ease of setup,it will all be new to me and will be a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    A bridge hammock MAY indeed be best for you, but a preference for side sleeping in a bed says little about how you would sleep in a hammock, gathered end or otherwise. I would roll around constantly in a bed, but gravitated toward side and stomach sleeping. In a gathered end hammock, I'm out like a light on my back. Sometimes I will doze off with reading glasses on and wake up 8 hours later with them undisturbed on my nose, my book still open on my chest: never moved. That would NEVER happen in a bed. I will occasionally shift to my side while still awake, but invariably end up on my back when down for the count.

If you haven't tried a good gathered end, I wouldn't rule it out just yet. I agree that bridges feel more like a bed, but it turns out that's why I don't like them as much as a GE! You may be different, but only one way to know.
    My experience pretty much mirrors this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ . i.e. don't rule out a GE. If nothing else, assuming one works for you, getting good tarp coverage without a lot of extra material and, possibly, poles can be a plus. Poles are great but it's also nice to not have to use them.

Some thoughts on doors:

The SF is great. I personally wouldn't want it as my only tarp because I sometimes really don't want the doors. A hex like the Minifly (or the old Edge) can be augmented with a door kit. The Cloudburst, being rectangular can also function as a hex with doors or even as a hex without doors by pulling back the corners. That would mean 4 tie-outs per side edge instead of 3. Lots of options from WB/Brandon!
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-22-2018 at 16:05.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast