XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I would look at the SLD Winter Haven XL Wide tarp if I was worried about the weather.

It has a door snaps option and pole mods.

EDITED: Sorry I didn't see that you had already ordered a tarp.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    I finally got to try out my new RR and Superfly last night. I have to say it was nice to wake up with my back feeling pretty good! Still a lot to learn about hammock camping. I used a pad and an under quilt. I struggled with my 21” pad,it keep moving to one side,but didn’t like the feel without it. I also felt like I was lower to the ground in the morning. Not sure if I actually was(it was dark when I got in) but it felt that way. Does the buckle system on straps ever slip?
    The tarp went up pretty easily. I used a CRL from Dutch. I put tensioners about 6” from tie outs at home. I’m not sure if they are necessary on a silpoly tarp? It seemed like because of them I had to tie out farther and it left a bigger gap under tarp. Not sure if I did something wrong? Between the low hang and gap on tarp the wind was coming in pretty good. Like I said, I still have a lot to learn but really enjoyed hanging! Thanks to everyone for their advice and recommendations.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Interesting that you had wind coming in from the bottom of a superfly - I think having to stake it out so far would be why on that one. I've been in some pretty crazy winds in the mountains with a superfly and never had issues, but I also stake it down low. For tensioners, I assume you are just using a bit of shock cord on your tie outs?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Interesting that you had wind coming in from the bottom of a superfly - I think having to stake it out so far would be why on that one. I've been in some pretty crazy winds in the mountains with a superfly and never had issues, but I also stake it down low. For tensioners, I assume you are just using a bit of shock cord on your tie outs?
    Yes,I used shock cord. I watched shugs video and did them just like his. It seemed that in order to pull out the tensioners it left a big gap. Maybe I had ridgeline too high? Do you use tensioners on your Superfly?

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Moray View Post
    Yes,I used shock cord. I watched shugs video and did them just like his. It seemed that in order to pull out the tensioners it left a big gap. Maybe I had ridgeline too high? Do you use tensioners on your Superfly?
    I do, yeah. Shugs video is awesome. I keep my tensioner right at the tarp tie out points, and they are probably 6 inches long total?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Congrats on your first nights out.
    I have the silpoly Superfly as well. In very windy conditions I stake as close to the ground as I can, I’ve even used a Shepard’s hook and staked the triangle directly to the ground. With a RR, this may be a little more difficult though and you will likely need to drop your CRL a bit. If you’re using the side pull tie-outs and staking close to the ground you can put tensioners on these lines, however I really prefer the poles, especially in windy conditions.

In less windy conditions, I sometimes use tensioners, especially in porch mode, even with silpoly. The tarp doesn’t stretch, but I’m clumsy and almost always end up tripping on my lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    I do, yeah. Shugs video is awesome. I keep my tensioner right at the tarp tie out points, and they are probably 6 inches long total?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Mine are 6” also. Maybe I need to move them closer to tie outs? Can you still setup in porch mode if they are that close?

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Mine are 6” also. Maybe I need to move them closer to tie outs? Can you still setup in porch mode if they are that close?
    Yeah, I haven't had any issues with porch mode - just use my trekking poles for it. The 'style' I use is from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_AeVejzmA

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Yeah, I haven't had any issues with porch mode - just use my trekking poles for it. The 'style' I use is from this video:

Thanks for the video. How do you secure poles? Watching other videos showing porch mode setup,they all wrap line around pole to stabilize it. That is why I put tensioners 6” from tie outs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_AeVejzmA

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just wrap the tie out line around the pole handle a few feet out - at that point, the tensioner is pulled pretty tight so it's not really acting as a tensioner I suppose. I don't however sleep while in porch mode - it's typically just too windy in the mountains to allow that so I may not be your best use case for it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast