Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    ...and please never use a rope suspension around a tree.
    I use ropes in trees nearly every day! Seriously, I understand a bit of concern in this area, but I fail to understand the "please". In 33 years of tree work, I have rigged out thousands of "pieces" of tree, be they limbs or chunks. I understand very well friction, cinching, bark slip and all that they entail. But I have also affixed tail hold blocks MANY times, often several in concert to afford the needed redirect, often exerting thousands of pounds of pull on anchor trees, and VERY RARELY have I had an issue with damage. Having to anchor to cedars is most tedious, but it can be done. I'm just curious as to why it's an issue with hanging a hammock holding a person, wherein the vector forces will likely not exceed 1000#. I contend that HOW it is attached is far more a concern than what it is attached with.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by born2climb View Post
    . I contend that HOW it is attached is far more a concern than what it is attached with.
    absolutely

but let's be honest

the vast majority of folks that are using ropes with their hammocks aren't doing it right

it's much easier to just ask everyone use tree straps/huggers

lowest common denominator, amirite?

I agree. I guess I fail to take into account that everyone cannot tie knots!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I can't understand why these Chinese companies can't do even a little bit of research and find that 8.5 ft. and 9.5 ft. hammocks aren't exactly popular.
    honestly? in general, they're much smaller people, both in height, but especially in girth. if I was 5'6 or so, and 150 lbs, a 9 foot hammock would probably be just fine

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    honestly? in general, they're much smaller people, both in height, but especially in girth. if I was 5'6 or so, and 150 lbs, a 9 foot hammock would probably be just fine
    I guess you have a point there.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

And people keep buying them.

I can't understand why these Chinese companies can't do even a little bit of research and find that 8.5 ft. and 9.5 ft. hammocks aren't exactly popular.
    Looking on MadeInChina.com, the standard sizes seem to be 270x140cm (9' x 55") and 330x200cm (11' x 79"). And a tiny one that is irrelevant.
    I found one of the big ones on Amazon and bought it (for <US$20), already having a few of the 9' size. As others have noted in a recent "how wide" thread, the excess width just becomes a flappy nightmare if there's any hint of wind. Still, it was cheaper than I can source the fabric for DIY, so I may just cut it down to a sensible width.
    Many of the MadeInChina.com vendors offer "custom" size, so they could most certainly be pursuaded to do an 11' x 55", possibly as a single panel without the long seams. But they mostly specify a minimum order of 100 units or more... even for the standard models. At a unit price of $6 or so. I've briefly considered getting and selling a batch, but really don't have the time nor enthusiasm. But there's nothing stopping anyone else from doing so.
    In any case - as another newbie with a tendency to buy cheap - I've very quickly learnt that the hammock itself is a trivial part of your hammocking setup. Hammocks are cheap, small and light. The hard parts - where there really is a trade off between cost, performance, weight and bulk - is in your insulation and to a lesser degree, shelter.
    Try a few cheap hammocks and see if they work for you. You're only spending beer money. Worst case you can employ a 9' 3-panel Amazon hammock as a gear sling to hang under your $200 cottage-made 11' hammock if you feel the upgrade is worthwhile.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Take a look at that $23 Gold Armor Hammock - basically indistinguishable from any other Chinese ENO knockoff (and there are a LOT of Chinese ENO knockoffs) on Amazon. I can't understand why these Chinese companies can't do even a little bit of research and find that 8.5 ft. and 9.5 ft. hammocks aren't exactly popular. And the three panels of fabric with irritating lengthwise seams is uncomfortable too.

Rather than use words to describe the difference between a Chinese ENO knockoff and something from our cottage vendors, I would suggest you try to get to a group hang so you can see and feel the difference. You'll also get to see the world of bugnets, tarps and quilts (which you don't mention), all great for a good night's sleep when hammock camping. But if you're just a casual user who isn't going much further than taking an hour-long nap in your hammock, the Chinese ENO knockoff will probably do just fine. Heck, I used a polyester rope hammock for 20 years because I didn't know that there was anything better!
    That hits the nail on the head. I heard years ago that fishing lures were made to catch fishermen, not fish. Those brightly colored multi-panel fabrics look awesome hanging between palm trees on a studio set. Actually try and spend a warm, dry, comfortable night in one out of the reach of the skeeters and other creepy-crawlies....not so much.

I've got the whole spectrum. I started with an Army surplus hammock from a yard sale. It sucked!!! I was stubborn and convinced I just wasn't using it right so I kept trying. It got a bit better but overall it's just a terrible design. There's no great mystery to most every gathered end on the market. Take a hunk of fabric, gather the ends, hang between two trees....tada. However, the details that allow you to lie flat, stay warm/dry, have easy access to your gear, and all in an ultra-lite package are where the money comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    "Cheap" but HIGH quality: Dutch's sale hammocks $30!!

No need to stick with el cheapo, no-known-quality fabrics when you can have a piece of the best!
    +1 on this approach. Four years ago when Dutchware had just added Argon fabric (I believe) the introductory price was $32 for an 11-foot hammock. I bought one and I'm still using it today. The modular approach to gear buying has the advantage of being able to swap pieces and parts in and out. Currently it wears whoopies, but it could just as easily take another suspension option and has. I made a HUG bugnet for it and bought a Fronkey-style, which I think I prefer. Either can be left at home when not needed. I started out with a pad in the thing and a sleeping bag but now use UQ/TQ.

The point is that an inexpensive hammock is a viable option when bought from a reputable vendor. Many vendors who have forums here offer some version of a basic netless hammock and it's never a bad choice to start with.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Funny thing is, as with many hobbies, it frequently happens that we must go full-circle and use more complicated/better/fancier/pricier gear before we truly understand that there are excellent and far less expensive options that do the job just as well.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast