Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Expensive vs. "cheap"

I'm relatively new to hammock camping, having spent few nights in one, but I have been intrigued with the idea for years. Last year, I bought my first, a Gold Armour double off Amazon for $23. I have seen hammocks from less than $10, up to phenomenal prices, and I'm wondering....what's the actual difference.

I know from experience that a $600 scope is better than a $100 scope, and the same applies to many other things, but a sheet of nylon stretched between two points....just can't grasp the advantages of the costlier models.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    There's a lot of differences. Quality of the fabric is a big one. Often, the $10-20 hammocks you see popping up everywhere are using a lesser fabric and will expierence a lot more stretch or the stiching isn't quite as good or there's more failure points. A lot of the higher end hammocks have integrated bug nets, pull-outs, different suspension options, or a myriad other things. When you get into the realm of the technical fabrics like ROBIC or Hexon, the fabrics are less prone to stretching or have a much better (less plasticy, cottony, silky, etc) feel to them.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The hammock is basically the whole point of your trip. If it fails, it's over. If the savings were something like $25 vs $225, I may play that game. But since you can get a solid, quality hammock that has been well tested (by actual users) year after year, for about $75 with suspension, it's just not worth gambling.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's true that prices come in a wide range. What newcomers (we all were once) don't realize is that quality & features, not to mention size, comes in just as broad a range. My advice is to pretend the big box store / Amazon hammocks don't exist, except for children playing in the backyard.

Basic hammocks from vendors here for less than $100 gets you a much larger, therefore more comfortable hammock. And, much better material, which also affects your comfort. Plus, a better, more sophisticated suspension. Those nylon big box hammocks sag farther & farther during the night, and please never use a rope suspension around a tree.

More money gets you whiz-bang features you never knew existed. The innovation of our vendors is astonishing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It's true that prices come in a wide range. What newcomers (we all were once) don't realize is that quality & features, not to mention size, comes in just as broad a range. My advice is to pretend the big box store / Amazon hammocks don't exist, except for children playing in the backyard.

Basic hammocks from vendors here for less than $100 gets you a much larger, therefore more comfortable hammock. And, much better material, which also affects your comfort. Plus, a better, more sophisticated suspension. Those nylon big box hammocks sag farther & farther during the night, and please never use a rope suspension around a tree.

More money gets you whiz-bang features you never knew existed. The innovation of our vendors is astonishing.

I agree with Mike's opinion. I started out with ENO, and while OK for backyard relaxing, for camping, it is limited as compared to what new innovations are out there from the many cottage vendors. Read Derek Hansen's book Ultimate Hang 2 to see the whole range of possible hammock configurations. That is what is so great about this hobby. So many different ways to set up your camp. There is no wrong way, just the way that works for you. Experimentation is half the fun of hanging...and tweaking your own personal rig(s).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    The main difference would be materials and features. I say use what works for you and then when you are ready and financially able to upgrade, do so. It would be preferable if you use at least 1 inch tree straps instead of rope to hang your hammock to reduce the risk of tree damage. To get a more comfortable sleep in your hammock add a structural ridgeline. Most of the cheap hammocks are around 9 1/2 to 10 feet long. IF you're on here you will hear that they are too short to sleep in. I haven't used a smaller hammock since I stared right off the bat making my own, so I can't testify to that claim.
    The hammock forums are a great place to gather info about hammocks, but be forewarned: most people on here are fans of cottage vendors and will poo poo any thing that is not made from them. It's like being in a "backpacking forum" and it's over run with "ultralight" types who will only recommend the lightest gear made from specialty shops and snub others who don't use the same expensive stuff. For me, it doesn't matter what tools you use so long as you're doing what works best for you. Enjoy the forum and have fun hanging!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    "Cheap" but HIGH quality: Dutch's sale hammocks $30!!

No need to stick with el cheapo, no-known-quality fabrics when you can have a piece of the best!

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I started with a cheap Walmart hammock with a bug net. It was 9.5 feet long and was a great start but after a couple of nights in it I realized I was getting a bad "Calf ridge" in it. On top of that, the seams were digging into my shoulders. When I asked about this, the most common solution was a longer hammock in the 11 foot range made from a single wider piece of fabric. There are no low-priced hammocks over 10 feet that I've found on Amazon or in stores. That pointed me at the cottage vendors as I was really eager to get back outdoors and knew I would be happier in a hammock than a tent.

I looked at most of the vendors on this site and did some internet searches. I settled on a Dutchware Chameleon Wide and dropped the coin on it with beetle buckles and 15 foot tree straps. I went with the Chameleon because, as an engineer, the idea of a flexible, integrated system that can be customized to my needs for any given trip really made sense to me. That's not something you're going to find in a cheap hammock. When I got the Chameleon, I slept in it in my backyard and knew it was worth every penny I spent on it. There were some small things that I thought would improve it so I ordered the Peak Shelf and Sidecar. If I wanted this kind of customization, I would have to do it myself and it would end up costing as much if not more in just materials.

After using the Chameleon on several trips and being delighted with it, I went to a hang where one of the vendors put out a box of free fabric seconds. I grabbed some and took it home. I ended up making a 12 foot hammock out of the Hexon 1.6 I grabbed and used the hammock last weekend after backyard testing, I also made a Fronkey Bug net for it. While this hammock cost me virtually nothing and is very comfortable, I am not about to sell the Chameleon. I just wanted to try something different and an evening's sewing was about all it took.

To sum this up, I've done it all. I bought a cheap hammock, I bought a great hammock from a cottage vendor, and I made my own hammock. The cheap hammock will probably never see the light of day again as I'll use either the Chameleon or my DIY hammock for friends. It was a waste of money from one perspective. On the other hand, I wouldn't be back in the outdoors if I hadn't bought the cheap hammock on impulse.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Go cheap and keep on buying new ones

Go quality and buy once.

My first two hammocks from Warbonnet ( one for me and one for The Terminator ) still look new after 8+ years of use.

I believe in buying quality made products. If you can not afford to get everything at once ( like most of us ) then buy one item at a time. Go to a group hang where you can check out a variety of different set ups and talk to the owners and ask them why did they get it and what do they like and dislike about it. Check the for sale section of the forum where you can often find some great deals.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    I sleep in a 11’ table cloth hammock. cost about $15. I got a hexon, but my tablecloth fit me better, so I gave the hexon to my daughter. My hammock is not the lightest of smallest packing, but it works for me.

I did DIY cobbled together insulation trying to save a buck. I am going to get a budget/econo down underquilt, I just can’t match the product DIY or cheapo.

I did DIY Fronky bug net, and also bought a bug net that hangs around the hammock with a zipper, I am not sure I want an integrated bug net yet.

For tarps I don’t have any expensive ones, but I have everything from $5 harbor freight , Yukon walkabout, 11’hex I found on Amazon last year for $25, a 9x12 chinook, and the 12’Kelty Noah. Other tarps will pack better and be stronger? But these work for my needs.

If camping in a hammock there is a level of financial commitment needed, if hangin in the back yard or park for the afternoon, much less so. The hammock often is the least expensive piece of kit for camping. But you do have to sleep in it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast