Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My own hammock - what went wrong?

Hi all,

I have been hanging in my slightly modified Frontline hammock from DD Hammocks for years now.

But last year I had the idea to try and make my own, better, lighter and cooler hammock

So I bought some fabric (Ripstop Nylon tent fabric silicone coated, 20den, 36g/sqm) and found a pattern online.

Since I am tall and heavy and have been thinking my Frontline was a bit on the small side, I decided to make my own hammock bigger.

The Frontline is 270cm x 140cm (106in x 55in). Sleeping like a banana

The DIY hammock is 380cm x 160cm (149in x 63in). I want to sleep diagonally

I am 192 cm tall and my weight is 115kg (6,2 long and 253 pounds).

When I tried out the new DIY hammock I couldn't sleep good in it. I had a hard time adjusting to the sweet spot - or rather I never found the sweet spot. And got creases that hurt my knees and lower legs, also a weird pressure point under the heels.

The new hammock is a gather-end-hammock, it has whoppie-slings through the end canals and another whoppie-sling as a rigdeline connecting the end points.

So what have I missed making this hammock?

My own theory is that the hammock is to narrow or there is something wrong with the rigdeline...

With the Frontline I normally hang that hammock between two pine trees that stand roughly 3,4 - 4 meters apart (3,8yards - 4.3yards). And tie the tree huggers about 180cm (70inches) high up in the tree.

I did the same with the DYI hammock. Is the fault there, maybe?

Any input anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    I think the fabric is to stretchy for you. Try a less stretchy one!
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Ok so putting numbers aside, cause I am honestly too lazy to convert cm to inches....start with checking the length of your ridgeline... the normal legnth would be about 83%of your hammock legnth

Now as I learned from a member here who came up to help me, sag is good, lots of sag can help!!! I thought that I had enough and he showed me different! So give it a shot and let that baby sag!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Silicon coated.

Certainly does sound like tent or tarp material. Not really suitable for a hammock. I would end up soaking in myself

I'd probably worry about the lay on a different hammock made out of something breathable.

Try 11' Length and width about 65".

I have a 10.5' Freebird that I had The Smurfs size down to 60" width. I am really liking the lack of loose material, and the increased field of vision. At 5'5" I still get a good diag lay.

11' length and 65" width should allow anyone larger a nice sized sweet spot.

User weight/material stretch, will have something to say about comfort too. For example @ 165# the stretch in the Robic 1.2 is perfect for me. If you are heavier, the Robic 1.7 might support you better.

Gathered or Channeled ends? Some people with table cloth hammocks can get by with tieing a knot in each end. However pretty sure all our cottage vendors don't do that. I very much prefer channeled ends.

Rolloff
    Last edited by Rolloff; 10-18-2018 at 14:09.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Ok so putting numbers aside, cause I am honestly too lazy to convert cm to inches....start with checking the length of your ridgeline... the normal legnth would be about 83%of your hammock legnth

Now as I learned from a member here who came up to help me, sag is good, lots of sag can help!!! I thought that I had enough and he showed me different! So give it a shot and let that baby sag!
    The 83% thing was new to me, so that I must try, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Silicon coated.

Certainly does sound like tent or tarp material. Not really suitable for a hammock. I would end up soaking in myself

I'd probably worry about the lay on a different hammock made out of something breathable.

Try 11' Length and width about 65".

I have a 10.5' Freebird that I had The Smurfs size down to 60" width. I am really liking the lack of loose material, and the increased field of vision. At 5'5" I still get a good diag lay.

11' length and 65" width should allow anyone larger a nice sized sweet spot.

User weight/material stretch, will have something to say about comfort too. For example @ 165# the stretch in the Robic 1.2 is perfect for me. If you are heavier, the Robic 1.7 might support you better.

Gathered or Channeled ends? Some people with table cloth hammocks can get by with tieing a knot in each end. However pretty sure all our cottage vendors don't do that. I very much prefer channeled ends.

Rolloff
    Ok, so maybe I made the hammock with the wrong fabric. Didn't know that either

The same fabric went into the making of my DYI tarp with doors. And that one I don't have any problems with

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderEnTarp View Post
    If you made an adjustable ridgeline with amsteel--there are videos around to show you how--you can adjust the ridgeline around to find what works for you best...83% is a good starting point, so for yours...149in (12.4 feet) so 123.7 in (10.3 feet). Fiddle now and you won't need to fiddle later...agree with the comment above, your fabric would be better if it were breathable, too--but maybe you are not a sweater.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Definitely don't want waterproof fabric for a hammock. Silicon coated is great for a tarp though!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Ok, so maybe I made the hammock with the wrong fabric. Didn't know that either

The same fabric went into the making of my DYI tarp with doors. And that one I don't have any problems with
    You have a very nice Grizz Beak right now for sure, but I'm betting the 83% SRL will really help a bunch. Keep us posted
    Signature suspended

Actually, 83% (~5/6) is a only rough starting point! Lots of folks are much more comfortable around 87% (~7/8). Start there and shorten it by doing wraps on a 'biner. Or make an adjustable one (not as easy!) A 12' hammock ought to be able to provide comfort for you with the correct fabric. Coated is one problem. The degree of stretch can be a very personal thing. I happen to like a very stiff hammock and I'm under 180.

You'll be able to use the fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast