Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I'm also going to bring a flask of bourbon on Saturday. I was also going to bring a pipe and a nice Balkan blend tobacco. I have plenty more pipes I can bring if anyone wants to partake. Just let me know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I just got a 5-year supply of cigars but I may try a pipe. I only have 10 addictions and I’m addicted to getting more.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Sounds good. I'll bring a handful of briar and maybe a couple tobaccos.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bearded 5o'clock shadow xl
    Tarp
    HH HexSyl, 2Q pole
    Insulation
    EETQ10*, LL UQ 0*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Depending on the work I will be up tomorrow if not early Saturday morning. Woot
    Never allow incliment weather to get in the way of your good times!

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    lets run with the burnt orange please

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by markglist View Post
    lets run with the burnt orange please
    10-4...

You know... if we hang it up near the food and let everyone wipe their hands on it after the carnitas and barbacoa... we can call it a custom 'outdoor ink' windy city winter hang commemorative bridge sure to make any onlooking raccoons drool over your one of kind raffle prize. If we could get a little chorizo going for breakfast you'd have a real beauty. Garnish with lime and fresh cilantro and she'd really pop.

Hammock
    WB XLC and RR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    W. Logics and UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Oh I forgot to mention, I'll be also bringing in a bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon, and a few cigars to share. Based on what it looks like everyone is bringing, and the beautiful weather, this will be a memorable hang! I hope to be to the campsite by 6:30ish today.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Depending on the amount of alcohol consumed, it may not be very "memorable" at all, lol. Buffalo Trace is good stuff!

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge, Towns End
    Tarp
    Noahs 12x12
    Insulation
    JarB UQ, Wolf TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bannana Hammock & All, Thanks for another great hang!! The weather was just right for my gear, I know you all wanted zero degrees, maybe next time. I really appreciate your hard work and planning. I tested out my Kelty Noah 12 winter door setup, probably should've went porch mode on one side for more ventilation, gotta a bit of condensation inside. Nothing horrible, just more than I thought would occur in 30 deg weather. Since I don't have 0deg gear, yet, I tend to pile on the layers in the hammock thinking it will keep me warmer. Actually just adds to the dampness and they all shift around. Oh well. I need to learn better ways to make use of the gear I have, I'll probably never hike the AT, but it's always nice to lessen the weight on a portage on a canoe trip. I am discussing getting a bridge real soon. Thanks Dave

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by canoehang View Post
    Bannana Hammock & All, Thanks for another great hang!! The weather was just right for my gear, I know you all wanted zero degrees, maybe next time. I really appreciate your hard work and planning. I tested out my Kelty Noah 12 winter door setup, probably should've went porch mode on one side for more ventilation, gotta a bit of condensation inside. Nothing horrible, just more than I thought would occur in 30 deg weather. Since I don't have 0deg gear, yet, I tend to pile on the layers in the hammock thinking it will keep me warmer. Actually just adds to the dampness and they all shift around. Oh well. I need to learn better ways to make use of the gear I have, I'll probably never hike the AT, but it's always nice to lessen the weight on a portage on a canoe trip. I am discussing getting a bridge real soon. Thanks Dave
    I wouldn't be too hard on yourself or draw too many conclusions about moisture at that campsite. About the only worse spot is a few miles further by the dam. And you'll rarely get worse conditions than that weather-wise.

That site is sitting between two bodies of water on a good day and at a low elevation.
    It also more or less sits on a double crook in the main river that opens up the area into a big valley of water.
    While it's not a true katabatic zone... the hills surrounding it at McKinley woods still contribute and further amplify the effect.
    Those conditions all exist on a good day. While I have no complaints about the temps either...
    As it was- it was sitting between two 33 ish degree bodies of water with air temps much higher- I'm not much of a bible reader but if I recall correctly from my youth that's the good lord's official recipe for dense fog of the old testament variety.

I tend to happily take the crappy spot in the snoring section right on the river. The barges don't really wake me up and that spot tends to take the brunt of the wind and moisture which I also enjoy a bit when the weather isn't sub-freezing out. When it is... it's an exceptionally crappy spot.

When I went to bed- my hammock had enough condensation on it that there was a small bit of water pooling in the center I had to spill out before I got in.
    I had a 20* UQ and top quilt set... but seeing how wet it was out I grabbed a spare 40* top quilt when I turned in.
    Took a bit of shivering to dry things out but I warmed up the down in about 15-20 minutes and slept toasty enough to dry the hammock out completely, though the exposed portions of the bridge outside my sleep area stayed wet. Thankfully being a new prototype the DWR was still pretty fresh so nothing really soaked though but beaded up heavily.

The Big Guy I left up overnight we were demoing had about a cup or two of water pooled in it just from standing there feeling lonely, it looked like it cried itself to sleep.
    Everything I had by me had very heavy dew to the point one could easily have assumed it rained for an hour or so.

I didn't have a tarp so I couldn't have done any better job ventilating unless I talked in my sleep or ate more beans.

Point being... other than the good company, dozens of good hanging spots, shelter, toilets and the fact that's kinda where we have to camp... it's pretty much every incorrect choice on the checklist you can make if you were reading the chapter in just about any camping book regarding ideal site selection. Even if you're paddling and you camp on an island that at least tends to have enough rise that you can camp on the lee side or a good 8-10' up in elevation to get out of the damp over the waters surface. When the weather is like that and the spot we're at - you ain't go a chance of avoiding the fog monster. Best to just drink your way through it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast