Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

A note on ROBIC...

When anyone asks what I do, I tell them I own a business called Ripstop by the Roll. Before the blank stare can set in, I follow that up by saying that we're kinda like a Home Depot for people who want to sew up their own Outdoor Gear - tents, tarps, hammocks... you name it.

They inevitably ask how we ever got into something like that, and then I tell them because we couldn't find the right materials for the gear we were making ourselves. It was either use something that wasn't quite right, or put in the time (and money, don't forget the money) to innovate and build the right material for the job.

I mention that story because in our five years, the mission hasn't changed. We serve two purposes at RBTR - outfitting the DIYer and fueling vendors with fabrics, materials, and capabilities that push the limit and ultimately make your gear better. We don't make stuff, we help others make stuff better.

Are we perfect? Hell no. But we are darn proud of what we do and very thankful for how fortunate we've been to do it.

We know that many of you LOVE the ROBIC Hybrid fabrics, especially the 1.2 and 1.7 oz, for their unique attributes of width, feel, durability, strength, and stretch. When it comes to pushing the envelope on fabrics and materials, the ROBIC line is one we've been extremely proud to bring you.

With that being said, the reason for this post is that it's become necessary to put a temporary HOLD on the sales of our ROBIC fabrics.

As I stated previously in this rather odd post back in August, we are currently working hand in hand with the ROBIC yarn manufacturer Hyosung as partners to ensure all the yarn used in our ROBIC fabrics is approved by Hyosung to hold the ROBIC brand name. We respect the science, time, and effort that Hyosung put into creating their ROBIC yarn, so we want to always make sure we're using ROBIC approved yarn to weave our fabrics. We've been working with Hyosung on fixing this issue since it was first discovered about two months ago.

This halt of sales is self-imposed by us (RBTR) and NOT at the request of Hyosung. Rather, the reason for the halt of sales is mainly to allow time to fully assess some new knowledge regarding the involvement of a third party competitor. Based on what we've been able to gather, it's our opinion that this competitor is now attempting to exploit an otherwise straightforward issue between licensee (RBTR) and licensor (Hyosung) for personal profit. This third party has not contacted us directly on the matter, else we would have and still would happily engage with them on the topic. Given this new involvement and the nature of the issue, we feel it's now best to pause the ROBIC sales, define facts, then continue on.

For clarity's sake, this is a brand name issue only and in no way affects the quality/performance of the ROBIC fabrics we offer or you currently hang in. Once the naming issue is resolved, one of two things will happen:

1) We will continue selling ROBIC brand fabrics exactly as we are now.

2) We will move some of the ROBIC brand fabrics to our high-end MTN series line (at least for a bit).

Regardless of which one it winds up being, the hammock fabrics (1.2 oz and 1.7 oz Hybrid) will be the exact same ones you've come to know, love, and give 59/60 five star reviews (60/60 if you count the customer who confused meters and yards).

As I'm typing this I'm realizing how weird and convoluted this might sound, but I just felt it was time to speak out and take action. To that end, I'm more than happy to answer any questions that you may have here.

I do apologize for the temporary inconvenience and hope to have a quick resolution to this mess. As always, our entire team appreciates your support! We will update this thread as soon as possible .

THANK YOU
    Last edited by ripstopbytheroll; 10-17-2018 at 12:22.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Thanks Kyle, and thanks to your team for everything you do to help support us folks in the DIY community. Here's hoping for a quick resolution to this issue, and keep on truckin'!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Best of luck to a quick and cheap resolution.

Unfortunately the mark of any decent business is having some dishonest asshat come after the money you've made honestly.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Straightforward practices, clarity, and public transparency are all cornerstones of a successful business in a tight-knit community. This sort of thing is why RBTR will always be my go-to.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Posts like this just increases my confidence to buy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Posts like this just increases my confidence to buy.
    Agreed. I really appreciate Kyle and the whole RBTR crew for their friendly and transparent approach to business.

For quality, service and innovation, I think the obvious choice is https://ripstopbytheroll.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    When anyone asks what I do, I tell them I own a business called Ripstop by the Roll. Before the blank stare can set in, I follow that up by saying that we're kinda like a Home Depot for people who want to sew up their own Outdoor Gear - tents, tarps, hammocks... you name it.

They inevitably ask how we ever got into something like that, and then I tell them because we couldn't find the right materials for the gear we were making ourselves. It was either use something that wasn't quite right, or put in the time (and money, don't forget the money) to innovate and build the right material for the job.

I mention that story because in our five years, the mission hasn't changed. We serve two purposes at RBTR - outfitting the DIYer and fueling vendors with fabrics, materials, and capabilities that push the limit and ultimately make your gear better. We don't make stuff, we help others make stuff better.

Are we perfect? Hell no. But we are darn proud of what we do and very thankful for how fortunate we've been to do it.

We know that many of you LOVE the ROBIC Hybrid fabrics, especially the 1.2 and 1.7 oz, for their unique attributes of width, feel, durability, strength, and stretch. When it comes to pushing the envelope on fabrics and materials, the ROBIC line is one we've been extremely proud to bring you.

With that being said, the reason for this post is that it's become necessary to put a temporary HOLD on the sales of our ROBIC fabrics.

As I stated previously in this rather odd post back in August, we are currently working hand in hand with the ROBIC yarn manufacturer Hyosung as partners to ensure all the yarn used in our ROBIC fabrics is approved by Hyosung to hold the ROBIC brand name. We respect the science, time, and effort that Hyosung put into creating their ROBIC yarn, so we want to always make sure we're using ROBIC approved yarn to weave our fabrics. We've been working with Hyosung on fixing this issue since it was first discovered about two months ago.

This halt of sales is self-imposed by us (RBTR) and NOT at the request of Hyosung. Rather, the reason for the halt of sales is mainly to allow time to fully assess some new knowledge regarding the involvement of a third party competitor. Based on what we've been able to gather, it's our opinion that this competitor is now attempting to exploit an otherwise straightforward issue between licensee (RBTR) and licensor (Hyosung) for personal profit. This third party has not contacted us directly on the matter, else we would have and still would happily engage with them on the topic. Given this new involvement and the nature of the issue, we feel it's now best to pause the ROBIC sales, define facts, then continue on.

For clarity's sake, this is a brand name issue only and in no way affects the quality/performance of the ROBIC fabrics we offer or you currently hang in. Once the naming issue is resolved, one of two things will happen:

1) We will continue selling ROBIC brand fabrics exactly as we are now.

2) We will move some of the ROBIC brand fabrics to our high-end MTN series line (at least for a bit).

Regardless of which one it winds up being, the hammock fabrics (1.2 oz and 1.7 oz Hybrid) will be the exact same ones you've come to know, love, and give 59/60 five star reviews (60/60 if you count the customer who confused meters and yards).

As I'm typing this I'm realizing how weird and convoluted this might sound, but I just felt it was time to speak out and take action. To that end, I'm more than happy to answer any questions that you may have here.

I do apologize for the temporary inconvenience and hope to have a quick resolution to this mess. As always, our entire team appreciates your support! We will update this thread as soon as possible .

THANK YOU
    Is it a quality issue? I read somewhere that Enlightened Equipment got a bad roll of Robic 7D and it caused some havoc. It seems half the roll was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Is it a quality issue? I read somewhere that Enlightened Equipment got a bad roll of Robic 7D and it caused some havoc. It seems half the roll was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No it's not a quality issue at all. This is strictly branding. We are working with Hyosung, the manufacturer of the ROBIC yarn and owner of the ROBIC trademark brand, to update our supply chain so that all the yarn used is approved for the ROBIC branding.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I hope this is a very brief halt on robic production. I really really LOVE Robic fabric on my hammocks...Until something better (for my needs) comes along, its the only fabric i will ever consider for my hammocks. I need a fabric to support 250-290 lbs person/s.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Today, I'm making a Hammock from the Robic 1.7 that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. For once, I timed something right!

It's sad to see that business sometimes gets in the way of, well.... business.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast