Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Videos - Parts 3,4,5 of me and my wife's 50 mile trip on the Cumberland Trail

Finally got these edited and uploaded. I couldn't edit the OP i did a few weeks ago, so i'll just start a new thread and put these three into it.

My sole purpose in making these videos is to promote an awesome trail system and help to bring awareness to the CT since it's sort of new'ish and relatively unknown...especially to those new to backpacking.

I'm breaking these into different videos because i want them to serve as research for people wanting info on each segment. So if you want to hike the Lawson Mtn section, you can find that video without having to watch a bunch of unrelated stuff.
    It's still under construction overall, but there are almost 200 miles that are sitting and waiting on you to visit. If you live within 4 hours this trail system has you name written all over it and is waiting on you!

If you like peace and solitude, if you like a physical challenge, if you DON'T like hordes of people, if you like beautiful scenery, if you like free overnight camping, if you like very friendly locals, this may be the trail for you. We saw one couple backpacking in the whole 52 miles. We did see some friendly folks on ATVs as this trial crosses many ATV trails.

Copy and pasted from the OP:
    This was a 5 day 52 mile trip that i had been contemplating for over a year. My wife kept making references of wanting to go, so I finally asked, "Do you WANT to go?" The rest is history!

This is a very steep and mountainous terrain with over 10,000 feet in elevation change from the start to the finish.

I know some of you on here are familiar with the CT but most of you are not. It's a trail system that is still under construction so there are completed segments and there are unfinished segments. This part is the longest completed section and we actually had to drop an 11 mile section at the end due to time constraints.

If anyone is interested in any of these sections, feel free to ask me questions. I'm happy to promote the CT. It has some beautiful and challenging backpacking.

P.S. GET the AVENZA mapping APP...it was an amazing tool that saved us so much time and lost-ness!!! I'll probably do a video just on this app. (and that's coming from an old school paper map guy!)

Last edited by TiedUp; 10-17-2018 at 12:10.
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Scrumbug
    Awesome trip buddy! You are lucky to have a wife so interested in backpacking! I’ve heard of that trail because it also comes up through Kentucky. Now I have to go back and watch the rest of the series.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapappy View Post
    You are lucky to have a wife so interested in backpacking!
    So true!

Update on the poor trail conditions of Arch Mountain:

I emailed the officials at the CTC (Cumberland Trails Conference) and the Cumberland Trails State Park about the maintenance issues on the Arch Mtn Section and i received a very long, kind, thoughtful reply back. The have it on their radar now to get done soon. So if you are interested in that hike, give them a call to see if the maintenance has been done first. They are good folks to deal with...just under-funded.

Stan
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hey, I just now noticed you posted these. I enjoyed the first one and have been hoping you'd do the rest. These go into my watch later list for sometime this weekend.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Excellent video series. Yes, kudos to the wife. Tell her we are impressed that she loves the outdoors as much as you. You are one lucky guy. Thanks for taking the time to do these videos and even more so for sharing them.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Hey, I just now noticed you posted these. I enjoyed the first one and have been hoping you'd do the rest. These go into my watch later list for sometime this weekend.
    Awesome i hope you like them. I wanted to do parts 2 - 5 videos independently for each section so that when people do a google or youtube search they can find info on those trail sections to serve as help. That's why i set it up like that. There are almost no videos on those sections. I like to see some examples of where i'm going before i go so i can decide if i even want to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Excellent video series. Yes, kudos to the wife. Tell her we are impressed that she loves the outdoors as much as you. You are one lucky guy. Thanks for taking the time to do these videos and even more so for sharing them.
    Thanks TrailSlug and yep I will tell her. I just got back today from a 2 day'er on the CT and we had a great time. No video...i'm tired of editing! I just wanted to enjoy myself.

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Thanks for posting these, Stan! I have 3 long sections to go, and 2 of them are covered in your videos above, so those are a great resource! The other is obed - have you done that one? I have done some of it but got bogged down in a poorly marked (unmarked) and overgrown area.

BTW from what I read Arch Mtn section is currently closed due to storm damage.

• + New Posts