Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    The humming bird tree straps can be used with a dutch biner and continuous loop or you can switch your loop out for their button hook suspension that they use for their hammocks. I did this. The straps worked very well on the AT and the majority of the time on the PCT. My only complaint would be large trees but hummingbird now makes an extension piece for them. I use these for long distance backpacking. If I'm just car camping I use beetle buckles, those are my hands down favorite strap. I don't know if its they are not popular or they don't advertise a lot either way for the price of the tree straps and the button link they are affordable enough to try out.

Right on. Ive actually been reading your Trek article....nicely done.

I noticed that Hummingbird makes a tree strap +, so the webbing is longer to accomodate bigger trees.

But Im trying to cut as much weight as possible so Im wondering if I can get away with the regular straps. The straps + are also more expensive

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Right on. Ive actually been reading your Trek article....nicely done.

I noticed that Hummingbird makes a tree strap +, so the webbing is longer to accomodate bigger trees.

But Im trying to cut as much weight as possible so Im wondering if I can get away with the regular straps. The straps + are also more expensive
    Thanks for reading the article!

I have gotten away with the standard straps for a lot of miles. That being said there were times where I had to pick a different set of trees mostly because the trees I picked were some big ole boys. For the weight,price, and ease of use I really like them but I'm sure if someone has a lighter option they will chime in.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    I use the Hummingbird straps. I bought a set of the extensions (.75 ounces) in case I run into large trees or set further apart. I have a hennessy hammock with carabiners at each end that I clip into the hummingbird straps. very fast and efficient setup and i'm at 2lbs 10 ounces for my whole setup- hammock, straps, rainfly, and stakes.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Howdy Folks

Ok, so Ive been using a whoopie sling set up for a few years now and have started to take a close look at my entire kit, trying to shed weight where ever possible to future thru hikes. Im interested in replaced my whoopie slings. Current weight is 4.5oz. I find them kind of finnicky plus one of them is stuck on my dutch hook and I cant loosen it up to be able to adjust it.

I came across the Hummingbird tree straps and dont see a whole lot of info besides the standard specs (2.4oz) and one or two useful videos online. I love the weight and price but they dont seem to be too popular. Is it because they seem to be kind of short? A lack of connection to the hammock? Am i missing something here??

Thanks yall!
    I know you are asking about the Hummingbird setup in particular, however why not use just a strap and connect directly to the hammocks CL with a J-Bend or Beckett? It's crazy simple, easy to attach, even with gloves and there are a ton of UL strap options to choose from. I started using this setup late last year and at this point, it's all I use. Initially I carried twp 15' MyersTech Dyneema straps.. then two 15' Dutch Spider Web straps.. I moved away from both of these because of how the are prone to bunching and now use two 12' Dutch 2.2 Kevlar straps. Like others mention, I carry one long Amsteel Dogbone and have yet to give up two Dynaglide UCR's that I carry 'just in case', though haven't used in a long while.

Here in the NE, even the 12' straps often seem too long, but for this setup and the lite weight it already is, I can't see reason for going shorter.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by INhammockcamper View Post
    I use the Hummingbird straps. I bought a set of the extensions (.75 ounces) in case I run into large trees or set further apart. I have a hennessy hammock with carabiners at each end that I clip into the hummingbird straps. very fast and efficient setup and i'm at 2lbs 10 ounces for my whole setup- hammock, straps, rainfly, and stakes.

Have you ever run into problems with the straps? Durability or size wise?

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I know you are asking about the Hummingbird setup in particular, however why not use just a strap and connect directly to the hammocks CL with a J-Bend or Beckett? It's crazy simple, easy to attach, even with gloves and there are a ton of UL strap options to choose from. I started using this setup late last year and at this point, it's all I use. Initially I carried twp 15' MyersTech Dyneema straps.. then two 15' Dutch Spider Web straps.. I moved away from both of these because of how the are prone to bunching and now use two 12' Dutch 2.2 Kevlar straps. Like others mention, I carry one long Amsteel Dogbone and have yet to give up two Dynaglide UCR's that I carry 'just in case', though haven't used in a long while.

Here in the NE, even the 12' straps often seem too long, but for this setup and the lite weight it already is, I can't see reason for going shorter.

ANy idea how much 12' kevlar tree straps weigh? My goal is to go as light as possible (Ive got back issues and I am planning a thru hike) while maintaing a quick and easy setup. The last thing I want to do is fiddle with a bunch of crap in the rain at the end of a long day .

I guess it doesnt get much easier than just have the straps though..

Would you mind expanding on the issue of the Spider webbing bunching up? I feel like 2in webbing may be overkill. I only weight 150 so I fee like I could get away with a thinner strap while maintaing protection for the tree..

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    I've had them about 6 months and hung about 20-25 times on them. No issues with durability. No issues with size wise, but as some other have said I do have to be slightly more observant in my tree selection. Never had any trouble making it work though, and with the extensions it allows me to be able to have more confidence about always finding a workable solution.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    ANy idea how much 12' kevlar tree straps weigh? My goal is to go as light as possible (Ive got back issues and I am planning a thru hike) while maintaing a quick and easy setup. The last thing I want to do is fiddle with a bunch of crap in the rain at the end of a long day .
    I guess it doesnt get much easier than just have the straps though..

Would you mind expanding on the issue of the Spider webbing bunching up? I feel like 2in webbing may be overkill. I only weight 150 so I fee like I could get away with a thinner strap while maintaing protection for the tree..

Of course I know how much they weigh!! I am a card carrying Gram Weenie!!

The Dutch 2.2 Kevlar is 2.2 grams per foot..or 24.94 grams on my scale.. 0.88 oz per strap.

As I use them, they are 1.09 oz /30.9 g per strap. I use the 12' strap, with an Amsteel Evo Loop at the tree end and a 2.5" Amsteel continuous loop with diamond knot larks headed to the middle of the strap. The diamond knot slides up and down the strap to set hammock height. It gets captured by the hammocks continuous loop. Then I use a becket hitch around the base of the diamond knot to secure its' location. Incredibly easy to adjust, lock and unlock and allows me to easily remove the hammock with one hand, gloved or not, rain or shine. Zero hardware. Zero fiddle factor. Bomb proof and 2.2 oz for the pair of straps.

I use only 1' straps... Dutch Kevlar 2.2 are my favorite, but I have Dutch 3.3 Kevlar, Dutch Spider Web and the MT Dyneema. The Dyneema straps are prone to bunching up into a cord like orientation when they are tied.. it's very hard (near impossible) to keep them flat. I like my gear neat and tidy so it's easy to set up and having to spend time flattening the straps drives me nuts. Plus, if it bunches up at the tree end, it does nothing to help protect the bark.. The Myers Tech Dyneema is insanity.. it's bunches up just looking at it. Spider Web is just a bit less prone to bunching, but still does. Kevlar... the 3.3 doesn't bunch at all. The 2.2 will bunch slightly, but easily flattens out.

With 12' of strap and trees that aren't huge, I can take two wraps around the trunk and still have plenty of strap to work with.. no need for 2" strap.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Couldnt I just use 12' of 1.5 spider webbing and attatch to hammock via beckett hitch and call it a day?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Couldnt I just use 12' of 1.5 spider webbing and attatch to hammock via beckett hitch and call it a day?
    Without doubt.. that would work.
    Only note of caution is that you need to know your environment. In the NE trees are reasonably sized. Rarely are they such that I can't get my arms around the trunk. Not sure about your trees... maybe a 15' is in order maybe not. The dog bones will solve any shortage issues.
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast