Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider

Hummingbird Hammock tree straps

Howdy Folks

Ok, so Ive been using a whoopie sling set up for a few years now and have started to take a close look at my entire kit, trying to shed weight where ever possible to future thru hikes. Im interested in replaced my whoopie slings. Current weight is 4.5oz. I find them kind of finnicky plus one of them is stuck on my dutch hook and I cant loosen it up to be able to adjust it.

I came across the Hummingbird tree straps and dont see a whole lot of info besides the standard specs (2.4oz) and one or two useful videos online. I love the weight and price but they dont seem to be too popular. Is it because they seem to be kind of short? A lack of connection to the hammock? Am i missing something here??

Thanks yall!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    The Hummingbird suspension does seem a bit short- especially if you have to hang on large trees. Here are some other options from Dutchware Gear. Yes, these straps are on the pricier side; but if you're looking for the lightest option available, you have to be willing to pay for it. I just purchased a pair 12' UHMWPE straps (3rd link). I'm using them with a Becket hitch directly to the hammock. My entire suspension- including my Evo Loops from MyersTech (used to make a quick connection around the tree), weighs 2.4oz. If I had chosen to purchase the Spider Web 1.5 straps, my suspension would be under 2oz. I tried whoopie slings, but found them too fiddly. The Becket hitch is quick and easy.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/sp...s-and-huggers/
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/sp...traps-huggers/
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/uh...traps-huggers/
    Last edited by rweb82; 10-16-2018 at 10:39.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the Hummingbird suspension. I’ve only seen it in person once, and I believe the straps are made out of Kevlar and the whoopies are not Amsteel but some other material. It’s all very lightweight indeed.

I like the fact that it doesn’t use any metal hardware. The hammock’s gathered end is not secured by a continuous loop but rather a detachable loop that opens to receive the adjustable end of the Whoopie sling, like a soft shackle would but instead of a ball knot at the end it uses a plastic button. Pretty slick.

Having said all that, you can probably get similar DIY components for a cheaper price at Myers Tech Hammock Lab on Facebook, and make your own suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I use a DYI version of the Hummingbird style suspension system. My straps are 50" and fit most trees in the mid-west. I went with this because it was what I had. I use dogbones to get extra length when needed. These have worked well for me over the last year. Setting up again I would probably do one at 50" and one at 70" to provide for that big tree. But, in reality what I have is fine. I do use metal Biners on the hammock end, but there in so reason this could not be doe with a CL &/or a soft shackle. Hand sewing these straps is not hard if you go the DYI route.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I used the Hummingbird straps and whoopies with Dutch biners for a couple of years and really liked them. I'm in the NE so distance and big trees were not a problem for me. I do carry dogbones in case i need an extension but I've yet to use them. I'm trying out a buckle suspension currently but wouldn't hesitate to go back to their system. I had picked them up on a whim from massdrop a few years ago. It was a good get. I didn't use their button connection system, but it looks cool and I'd probably try it vs the Dutch biners next time.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Hummingbird Hammock tree straps

There is a PCT thru hiker on here that used them last year and said they did well. I’ll look for his name.

Edit: Two Speed

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ed-goes-PCTing

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    The Hummingbird suspension does seem a bit short- especially if you have to hang on large trees. Here are some other options from Dutchware Gear. Yes, these straps are on the pricier side; but if you're looking for the lightest option available, you have to be willing to pay for it. I just purchased a pair 12' UHMWPE straps (3rd link). I'm using them with a Becket hitch directly to the hammock. My entire suspension- including my Evo Loops from MyersTech (used to make a quick connection around the tree), weighs 2.4oz. If I had chosen to purchase the Spider Web 1.5 straps, my suspension would be under 2oz. I tried whoopie slings, but found them too fiddly. The Becket hitch is quick and easy.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/sp...s-and-huggers/
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/sp...traps-huggers/
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/uh...traps-huggers/

Thanks for the input. I may piece something together from Dutch if I dont go the Hummingbird route

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the Hummingbird suspension. I’ve only seen it in person once, and I believe the straps are made out of Kevlar and the whoopies are not Amsteel but some other material. It’s all very lightweight indeed.

I like the fact that it doesn’t use any metal hardware. The hammock’s gathered end is not secured by a continuous loop but rather a detachable loop that opens to receive the adjustable end of the Whoopie sling, like a soft shackle would but instead of a ball knot at the end it uses a plastic button. Pretty slick.

Having said all that, you can probably get similar DIY components for a cheaper price at Myers Tech Hammock Lab on Facebook, and make your own suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill have to check out the Myers Tech page! Thanks for the info

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Most of my hammock backpacking is here on the AT so I feel like finding trees is never a problem. THe hummingbird straps are cheap enough to probably just grab a pair and see how it goes.

I basically want the lightest and generally most simple setup. I have a pair of Dutch clips I will probably use to connect suspension to hammock...

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The humming bird tree straps can be used with a dutch biner and continuous loop or you can switch your loop out for their button hook suspension that they use for their hammocks. I did this. The straps worked very well on the AT and the majority of the time on the PCT. My only complaint would be large trees but hummingbird now makes an extension piece for them. I use these for long distance backpacking. If I'm just car camping I use beetle buckles, those are my hands down favorite strap. I don't know if its they are not popular or they don't advertise a lot either way for the price of the tree straps and the button link they are affordable enough to try out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast