Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hey I'm at the age the only thing I do fast anymore is get tired.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The OP was pretty excited about his first group hang, so much so that he proposed an elaborate competition (since deleted). When he found that his enthusiasm for this competition was not universally shared, he deleted his post, and hasn't posted since. I wonder if he ever went to that group hang in Texas.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Elderado
    Insulation
    Wookie Underquit
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The OP was pretty excited about his first group hang, so much so that he proposed an elaborate competition (since deleted). When he found that his enthusiasm for this competition was not universally shared, he deleted his post, and hasn't posted since. I wonder if he ever went to that group hang in Texas.
    I hope he did go, while I am not a social person, I can see how many like the idea. Just seeing other rigs and learning about them I seriously am appealed by. I also hope he posts again and let's us know.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    One competition I can think of is the most hammocks hung on 2 trees. Most I ever saw was 14 and it was Ka-Razy! I think there's a video out there of it. The poor SOB on the top had to do a circus act to climb up there. Too funny. One other competition I can think of is the least amount of insulation at a given temperature. For example, at say 20 degrees, the guy that makes it all night with summer gear wins.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's a shame he was bullied into taking down his post. Seems to happen too often here. If we start belittling peoples' ideas, then just chuck the whole site out. That's not America.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    That's a shame he was bullied into taking down his post. Seems to happen too often here. If we start belittling peoples' ideas, then just chuck the whole site out. That's not America.
    I saw his original post and the ensuing conversation - I wouldn't call it bullying. There was at least one post ( deleted by a mod ) that questioned the OP's hammock credibility and experience instead of addressing the idea proposed but overall the conversation explored the idea of a hammock competition. Some posts propose additional events for such a competition, many explore the practical implications of mounting and judging such a competition, and some expressed a mild dismay ( that I shared but kept to myself ) that folks would bring an agro competition to an activity that most find chill.

It hurts that you observe folks are too often bullied into removing their posts here; this is the only instance I can recall where someone got their nose bent and removed their own OP. I also reject the notion that we should "chuck the whole site out" because some don't like what others have shared. It's OK with me if you don't like what I say and you won't hurt my butt if you tell me so. Contrasting viewpoints have a far greater chance of improving an idea than perfectly aligned ones. I would further put forward the notion that belittling other people's ideas has become America's national discourse, it may not be right, but it is what it is. I would love to find anyplace on the interweb that is more polite, helpful and kind than HammockForums.

If we can remember to "not assume offense where none is intended", our hammock community here will continue to enrich our lives.

Me again. Bring a unicycle, a hat to balance and three somethings to juggle and see who can outdo Shug. That would be an interesting competition to watch.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.6HyperD 11'
    Tarp
    MYOG Silpoly 12x12
    Suspension
    Venom straps & MSH
    Seems I got here late after all the hoopla...

I didn't get to read the original post, but I like the idea of putting some sort of "grading metric" on a particular hammock/tarp set up. While I am like most, in that I like to just take my time and relax while setting up, I also take my hammock backpacking. I like to push some miles, and I also do a lot of hiking in the winter months where the days are short. Time to set up and total gear weight are two things I value just as much as I value my relaxation. The faster I can get set up, and out of the elements (rain, bugs, whatever). I usually only add weight to my setup if it makes things simpler, easier to do in the cold/wet, or faster.

I'd like to see a friendly competition where people time their set ups, and then are awarded a score that has components of speed, weight, and features. So for setting up in under 10 minutes is impressive if you rig a tarp, bugnet, hammock and quilts, but if you're just hanging a hammock and throwing in your quilts, I'd say 10 mins is pretty sad. Granted, it'd be quite difficult to come up with an agreed upon metric, but that's why it'd be just a friendly competition. I think people could get quite creative with gear setups. I might learn a few tricks!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod337 View Post
    Seems I got here late after all the hoopla...

I didn't get to read the original post, but I like the idea of putting some sort of "grading metric" on a particular hammock/tarp set up. While I am like most, in that I like to just take my time and relax while setting up, I also take my hammock backpacking. I like to push some miles, and I also do a lot of hiking in the winter months where the days are short. Time to set up and total gear weight are two things I value just as much as I value my relaxation. The faster I can get set up, and out of the elements (rain, bugs, whatever). I usually only add weight to my setup if it makes things simpler, easier to do in the cold/wet, or faster.

I'd like to see a friendly competition where people time their set ups, and then are awarded a score that has components of speed, weight, and features. So for setting up in under 10 minutes is impressive if you rig a tarp, bugnet, hammock and quilts, but if you're just hanging a hammock and throwing in your quilts, I'd say 10 mins is pretty sad. Granted, it'd be quite difficult to come up with an agreed upon metric, but that's why it'd be just a friendly competition. I think people could get quite creative with gear setups. I might learn a few tricks!
    Check YouTube videos I might have names and trail names misspelled—you can find them
    HNO and MedicineMan had an all-in-one tarp hammock suspension and insulation all stuck together—about all they do is slap straps around tree connected with Dutch Bling adjust suspension buckles and stick a few stakes in ground
    Jeremy—FireInMyBones has developed a hammock and tarp system with underquilt permanently sewn to hammock.
    I did not personally see MedicineMan set up his rig—did get to see set up on YouTube video if I remember correctly And I did get to see MedicineMan’s rig at SmokedButtHang a few years back.
    While at John Rock Hang, I got to see Brother Bones (Jeremy) set up his rig. He was not in a hurry and was chatting with me while setting up
    I did not have a stop watch—I believe his unofficial time was somewhere between 90 seconds and two minutes
    And Jaxx Drinkwater has a YouTube video with an incredibly efficient suspension—Fast, Simple,Easy...I’ve forgotten the name of his video
    While most of us hammockers are not into great speed (I’m slow)—all of us can benefit from their innovations if we choose to use some of their ideas and innovative gear.
    The way I am able to be more accepting of ideas about rapid set up or world record times—
    Is I change the phrase rapid set up for the phrase Ease of Use
    Lots and lots of innovations have made it Easier for us, as we ease into levitation...

http://www.travelettes.net/extreme-c...ve-the-ground/

These guys might win in one category.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345