Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

augmenting my uq for colder weather?

Looking for some sage hanging advise on the best options to beef up my sleep system for cold weather. I have a 20 degree Hammock Gear Incubator that I use on a Chameleon. Wondering what my best option to go with the 20 degree uq. I could try to use my WL 40 degree uq with the HG Incubator? Or use a Thermarest foam pad with the Incubator. Or get a different pad. Another uq isn't really an option either in the budget or timewise.
    Lastly, any difference in condensation issues between a foam pad and an inflatable pad? I have tried the foam once and it's an odd thing I can't really say if I was warm, cold or what during the night, possibly both.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Inflatable pads with an uq are a no go for me. Keep finding cool spots. A thin/flexible closed cell pad might be of some benefit though.

You can double up uq but the 2nd uq needs to be hung very carefully. If you depress the down much or if it hangs too loose, it's no good. If you can salvage an old synthetic sleeping bag as an uq, your tolerances are a little more forgiving.

And Uq protector or sock helps a ton. They can be made cheaply if you can diy otherwise there are a few places you can buy from. Even throwing your coat over the ridgeline to make kind of a tent helps.

If car camping, bring a fleece blanket to sleep on.

Whatever you do, test it or have a backup plan. Below freezing and not enough insulation is no joke.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Stack the UQs. Put the 40º outside of the 20º but loosen the suspension on the 40º to not compress the 20º too much. You'll be happy.
    Shug

Stacked UQs with jacket over footbox.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Stack the UQs. Put the 40º outside of the 20º but loosen the suspension on the 40º to not compress the 20º too much. You'll be happy.
    Shug

Stacked UQs with jacket over footbox.

Any particular reason you suggest stacking the lighter quilt outside the heavier? I have little doubt you've tried both ways, just curious if you can elaborate.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Any particular reason you suggest stacking the lighter quilt outside the heavier? I have little doubt you've tried both ways, just curious if you can elaborate.
    I put my warmest UQ right up against me and alway the partial over the full length. Just seems to make sense and never failed me.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Though I can't find the specific link here's a look at what stacking quilts will do:

quiltstack.jpg

In theory you can go to -10* F by stacking the 20* quilt with the 40* quilt. Of course, that assumes there are no gaps and you're not compressing the down. I always stack the lighter quilt on the outside (because that is what makes sense to me), but some do the exact opposite. I've stacked quilts down to -3* F and was toasty warm.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I put my warmest UQ right up against me and alway the partial over the full length. Just seems to make sense and never failed me.
    That's what makes sense to me too, but like I said, some do it the exact opposite. I just add a soft shackle or two to the 3/4 quilt to lengthen the suspension, so it doesn't compress the quilt underneath.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So you can stack underquilts, but what are you doing for top insulation? You can stack quilts on top too.

Images
    Thanks. Partial over full definitely makes sense, to avoid a gap where the partial ends.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's what makes sense to me too, but like I said, some do it the exact opposite.
    Maybe they think it's better to compress the loft in the lighter quilt, if some compression is inevitable on the one closest to the hammock?

What you and Shug said makes sense to me though. I happen to have 2 full length 20's (one for my wife), so it's a moot point in my camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast