Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Tarp skirt

I'm surprised something like this doesn't exist. I don't even recall anyone doing a DIY.

Suppose you have a standard hex tarp, or even a tarp with doors. That gives you a good deal of protection, but without XL/wide fabric, the sides are not touching the ground. This skirt would basically be a section of material (~18 tall x length of tarp) that you could snap/tie/button to the end and let hang straight down from the end of the tarp. Maybe just weigh it down with rocks or use stakes if you don't mind the extra weight. Just something to block more wind and rain.

Just an idea...an option between getting a bigger tarp (XL, Palace) and trying to hang lower to close that gap.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tried that basic idea some time back using my ULA rain skirt. Had a stiff breeze coming up the knoll.
    But I know you are talking about a skirt going all the way around the tarp.
    Shug

PB060119.jpg

PB060120.jpg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yup, just like that! I was going to mention, like your pics show, that even in porch mode it would be nice for one side. I'll often position one side against the wind and still set up in porch mode for a nice view and ventilation.

I think is would be a pretty efficient solution to help button down the tarp for bad weather. It might take a little more adjusting to get it to hang just right, plus if there's doors involved, there's a little more engineering involved to get the angles down just right. Would make a great DIY project, but I lack thread injecting skills.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicPaddler View Post
    It uses 11 yards of Xenon Wide.
    Yes, but I specifically mentioned something other than larger XL/Palace tarp because I knew SilvrSurfr would just tell me to do this 9/10 times a larger tarp isn't warranted but the option to take this addon could be useful on certain trips.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I already do that with my Aqua-quest tarp. It has multiple timeouts along the edges. If I need a wall I place the "Corner" tie-out up to one of the mid-length loops and let the rest hang and stake to the ground.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    It sounds like an interesting idea but if you are going to be carrying the tarp and the skirt (especially if you do this all the time because you don't know when you'll need it) you may as well just get a tarp with longer sides. You won't be carrying any more material and you won't have to fuss with it. Easy to pitch the tarp high or in porch mode if you want ventilation and hunker down if you need protection.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    It sounds like an interesting idea but if you are going to be carrying the tarp and the skirt (especially if you do this all the time because you don't know when you'll need it) you may as well just get a tarp with longer sides. You won't be carrying any more material and you won't have to fuss with it. Easy to pitch the tarp high or in porch mode if you want ventilation and hunker down if you need protection.
    I agree 100% and the very trip you do not take it is the day you'd need it.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Again, it's not an issue of needing a bigger tarp. I knew this would come up, so that's why I tried to preemptively diffuse it in my first post. I have three tarps, covering pretty much every scenario. But when I like to keep things simple with a basic hex, and maybe want one extra side for a wind break, this could be useful. A small addon that I may only need one night on a multi-night trip instead of carrying a massive tarp I don't want to mess with on 65° sunny, calm, days. I can take it, or leave it.

I'm not just trying to throw out silly ideas here. I've been doing this for over 6 years now and many nights I don't even use a tarp. So the last thing I want is to carry around an extra wide tarp with doors when the weather doesn't call for it most of the time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast