Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Need quick solution to use sleeping bag as UQ

Last minute trip, planned this coming weekend with my son (his first solo trip with me and our first BP trip in years). Current forecast has lows near freezing. I am letting him use my HH ULA with a 3/4 UQ and a down sleeping bag as a top quilt so he is all set. I have scrapped together a gathered end hammock (think UNO doublenest clone) with whoopie slings, tarp, etc. I will be using a DIY down top quilt I made years ago, but I don't have bottom insulation (besides pads -- last resort). However, I do own a WM MityLite (semi-rec down bag). It has a separate footbox zipper so I think can pull it over the foot end of the hammock but I'm not sure how I can attach/hang/clip the rest of the bag to the sides the hammock.
    I was thinking a handful of large binder clips?
    Thoughts?
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I made a UQ out of a rectangular bag I had last year. I purchased 1.75" grosgrain ribbon from the fabric store. I folded this in half sewing 1/8" to 1/4" from the edge. I made two channels the length of the bag. Then I sewed the channels to the bag along the side of the zipper. The fabric section below the zipper teeth. I then ran 5mm shock cording through the channels adding a "S"-biner at each end to hook to the hammock suspension. The channels were sewn on the inside so all I have to do is flip the cordage into the bag and zip it up and put it in the stuff sack.

I use the neck drawstring to cinch the bag up around the hammock, and the zipper to hold it up tight at the other.

Hope that might help you.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Thanks both for the ideas.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Home Depot has tarp clips that clip to anything. You could rig them to the corners of a sleeping bag with some bungee too.
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/tarp%20c...-5&gsitesearch

Quote Originally Posted by PlusOne View Post
    Home Depot has tarp clips that clip to anything.
    Thanks, I thought about doing something similar, but the DIY version in which you use a small stone and some cord. I plan to try a few ideas tonight so I can see what works and what doesn't while I still have a couple days to get supplies if needed.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    Thanks, I thought about doing something similar, but the DIY version in which you use a small stone and some cord. I plan to try a few ideas tonight so I can see what works and what doesn't while I still have a couple days to get supplies if needed.
    I use a small roll of athletic tape used like a rock to keep the head end of my sleeping bag up on my pod system. Then use a piece of elastic to run it to my suspension.
    And a piece of shockcord through a small loop on my footend.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

For the stone and cord method ... I find that those plastic screw on bottle caps (like on a soda bottle) are a good, cheap and light alternative to adding rocks to your pack.
    It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Hum...bird Pelican
    Insulation
    0-Wooki 20-Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I recently rigged up a king size down quilt that I found at a thrift store for $10 (Score!) using some of the methods described here. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I think you may find helpful is to run two pieces of shockcord over a ridgeline to help keep your UQ in place. At two points between my shoulders and knees I attached shockcord, ran it over the ridgeline down to the opposite side, and attached it there too. Set the length so the shockcord doesn't pull the insulation too tight. I personally had no problems getting in and out using this method. I also used shockcord to snug up the head and toe ends of the quilt across the bottom of the hammock so they formed a tighter seal between the hammock and my quilt.

Just take some extra line and shockcord with you and I'm sure you'll make something work. I would also take a sleeping pad to put in the hammock if you have it. I think that would be well worth the weight just in case the bag doesn't work as good as you hope.

Have fun and stay dry!

Thank for everyone's help. I think I have a solution. The WM MityLite is a semi-rectangular bag with no hood (drawstring around the neck hole) that has 2 separate dual zippers. A 2' zipper across the bottom and up the side of the footbox, and a separate longer zipper the rest of the side.

1. I unzipped part of the footbox and fed one of the suspension slings thru the hole
    2. I ran a piece of shockcord through one of the footbox zippers and looped it thru a prusik loop on my suspension and tied it off with a taunt hitch
    3. Using two small Rokenbok balls, another length of shockcord (with slip knots at each end) and another prusik loop i hung the head/neck end
    4. Using 8" pieces of mason line and 4 more Rokenbok balls (2 per side) I loosely secured the sides of the quilt to the extra material on the sides the way too wide hammock body
    5. I can adjust the sides from inside the hammock and with a bit of twisting I can adjust the neck hole drawstring.

This seems to work in the house. If I can find small shockcord I might use it in lieu of the 8" pieces of mason line for a bit more flexibility.
    Yellow Jacket

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast