Chameleon bug net comparisons? symmetrical and asym

Hello Chameleon hangers! I now have had the opportunity to hang in a nice Multicam Chameleon for a few months now, l oreded with the hammock a moonlight symmetrical TC and like this very much, happy with how this performs.

Just recently l made an order for a bug net, (springtime here) as l liked the symmetrical TC l oreded a symmetrical bug net.

My choice of UQ is a Wooki, therefore the asym bug net would also fit right at home, head left feet right.

Has anybody one had the opportunity in trying out either of both bug nets with their Chameleon hammock?

I am of the understanding the cut is different between the two nets, with the asym using slightly less netting and the symmetrical using more netting, purely in offering the switch of lay positions, so, l would think possible a symmetrical cut could provide a slightly roomer inside layout, giving a little more viewing too outside on both sides of the hammock, then weighing only a smidge more.
    The performance of the two styles for comfort l image holds equally, has anyone tried out these two side by side?
    Anywho! Thanks, look forward to hear what comes in.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    I am of the understanding the cut is different between the two nets, with the asym using slightly less netting and the symmetrical using more netting, purely in offering the switch of lay positions...
    Yes, this is basically correct, but the hammock itself is symmetrical no matter what, so I would say neither option for top accessories offers a roomier layout or change in view. The hammock will still have that fabric "wall" on the side opposite your head, no matter which cover/bugnet you choose, or none at all. If you always lay head left, then an asymmetric bugnet would be a good choice. It can always be flipped over for a head right lay, but you wouldn't want to do this in the middle of the night. I do think the symmetrical top cover offers a distinct advantage, that being the moon roof. Zipping the moon roof cover all the way off offers a pretty good view for a winter cover accessory, versus just the small cutout window most top covers have. The moon roof cover can also be used a little like the breathalyzer accessory, so I think these features offer a leg up on the asymmetric top cover.

Back to bugnets though, the symmetrical one does have more material and weighs a little more (mostly negligible), but is also a little bulkier taking up a bit more stuff sack space. The main disadvantage is that its symmetrical shape means it has some excess material, which makes using the tie outs more of a necessity, in my opinion. Either that or you will have to creatively offset your pillow, or use an elbow to help keep the netting off your face. You may already have experienced something like this with your symmetrical top cover.

So anyway, my thoughts are to get the symmetrical top cover with moon roof and the asymmetric bugnet, but these are just my opinions. You'll have to decide what works best for you, but hopefully this offers a little help. I'm sure if down the road you want to change bugnet, you'd be able to sell the other one on the forum quite easily.

Enjoy that Chameleon! It's a fine hammock and the list of doodads you can add onto it just keeps growing!
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-14-2018 at 09:20.

I agree. The extra netting would just flop around.

Your Wooki is going to having you laying asym (feet) right anyway. Of course if you want to be able to lay either way, just send the Wooki my way and get a different UQ!

Or,... you could always get an asym left Wooki and have a matched pair! (then I guess you'd want the symmetrical bug net, or two bug nets and one more top cover...)

I think you just need more hammcks and add-ons!

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Yes, this is basically correct, but the hammock itself is symmetrical no matter what, so I would say neither option for top accessories offers a roomier layout or change in view. The hammock will still have that fabric "wall" on the side opposite your head, no matter which cover/bugnet you choose, or none at all. If you always lay head left, then an asymmetric bugnet would be a good choice. It can always be flipped over for a head right lay, but you wouldn't want to do this in the middle of the night. I do think the symmetrical top cover offers a distinct advantage, that being the moon roof. Zipping the moon roof cover all the way off offers a pretty good view for a winter cover accessory, versus just the small cutout window most top covers have. The moon roof cover can also be used a little like the breathalyzer accessory, so I think these features offer a leg up on the asymmetric top cover.

Back to bugnets though, the symmetrical one does have more material and weighs a little more (mostly negligible), but is also a little bulkier taking up a bit more stuff sack space. The main disadvantage is that its symmetrical shape means it has some excess material, which makes using the tie outs more of a necessity, in my opinion. Either that or you will have to creatively offset your pillow, or use an elbow to help keep the netting off your face. You may already have experienced something like this with your symmetrical top cover.

So anyway, my thoughts are to get the symmetrical top cover with moon roof and the asymmetric bugnet, but these are just my opinions. You'll have to decide what works best for you, but hopefully this offers a little help. I'm sure if down the road you want to change bugnet, you'd be able to sell the other one on the forum quite easily.

Enjoy that Chameleon! It's a fine hammock and the list of doodads you can add onto it just keeps growing!
    Hey there cmc4free thank you for bringing forward in with sharing your insight regarding the two styles of bug nets.

I believe my thoughts initially, "l likely didn't express this from my earlier quote", were around wether the either bug net design could actually arrange any curtain changes with the shape of the neutral symmetrical hammock body...... in regarding a smaller style bug net design of a asym, l wondered wether any lifting with any loose hammock fabric could be creating to giving a hammock wall and possibly a change in lay position in correspondence with the HRL.
    May be one day l will make my own hammock and try this all out.
    Thank you for sharing in with your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I agree. The extra netting would just flop around.

Your Wooki is going to having you laying asym (feet) right anyway. Of course if you want to be able to lay either way, just send the Wooki my way and get a different UQ!

Or,... you could always get an asym left Wooki and have a matched pair! (then I guess you'd want the symmetrical bug net, or two bug nets and one more top cover...)

I think you just need more hammcks and add-ons!
    Hey TominMN, yeah, it would have made easy going the asym bug net to match the Wooki.... well it is a journey and yeah crackers! Add ons yep more add ons coming up

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Hey there cmc4free thank you for bringing forward in with sharing your insight regarding the two styles of bug nets.

I believe my thoughts initially, "l likely didn't express this from my earlier quote", were around wether the either bug net design could actually arrange any curtain changes with the shape of the neutral symmetrical hammock body...... in regarding a smaller style bug net design of a asym, l wondered wether any lifting with any loose hammock fabric could be creating to giving a hammock wall and possibly a change in lay position in correspondence with the HRL.
    May be one day l will make my own hammock and try this all out.
    Thank you for sharing in with your thoughts!
    My "seat of the pants" answer is that I believe either style bug net or no bug net at all, will all result in about the same amount of "fabric wall" on the side opposite your head (and also the side opposite your feet, which is less of a visibility concern).

For what it's worth, there are some options for hammocks with less of a wall. Warbonnet Ridgerunner or other bridge hammocks offer much better visibility, which is the same on both (left and right) sides. Simply Light Designs makes the Streamliner gathered-end hammock, which has a catenary cut on the sides, which lowers the "wall." The tradeoff with that hammock is that the long, catenary cut edges of the hammock are more taut, which makes entry/exit a little more difficult and makes lounging in a sitting position with legs out and feet on the ground less comfortable.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKH TQ/UQ + HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I Got my Chameleon with Asym bugnet.
    Because I have incubator uq, I can sleep the way I want. Althougt asym bugnet can be switched on both sides, I didn’t like the hassle. I like to lay the way So that has best views from my hammock.
    I usually sleep head left, feet right.
    I tried symmetrical bugnet last weekend first time and slept head right to get best views.
    I didn’t notice Any differentiaali in comfort.

I also changed my asym winter cover to symmetrical with moonview.

If you use only wookie then I wouldn’t change to symmetrical bugnet.

In the picture, my setup is on the left side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts