Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch

Cool Winter virgin

Hello -

I am new to 4 season hammock camping. Looking to get out into the cold weather in Midwest a few times this winter.

Wondering if I could get feedback on my setup? Did I chose alright?

Hammock- eno single nest
    Tarp- chill Gorilla Fortress 2
    Underquilt- hammock gear Econ 20 degree fullsized
    Top quilt- an older Kelty ultra light down bag rated to 30 degrees. I am going to half zip to create a foot box and ease of entry.

I am thinking of adding a reflective pad or double bubble .

It may be quite cold - as I plan on hanging in the UP of Michigan , northern Wisconsin and possibly y ozark mountains.

Love to get some feedback from you pros out there. Going to be going with a buddy that upgraded to a prospectors tent with a wood stove - I want to be as warm as he is!

-Emageddon

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't forget good Winter footwear for camp as most of the day is out of the hammock. Sleep of your sleep system clothes-wise.
    Test before you go to real cold so your not miserable.
    Some intel.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eCgGKr7TF7haoD

Carry forth warmly......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hum... If this is not a joke then for the areas mentioned I would have recommended a more comfortable hammock in the 11 ft range and a much warmer top quilt as sleeping bags are rated quite differently from hammock quilts. This equipment would hardly work in the temps they are currently experiencing (25° low last night in UP) in that area now in very early fall and no way would I attempt this in winter conditions.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome. That doesn't sound like a setup suited for "quite cold" weather; it sounds like a setup for "moderately cold" weather. I'd be hesitant to take it below 40* F. I personally subscribe to the 10* buffer rule - always make sure your insulation is rated at least 10* warmer than the expected lows. The reason for that 10* buffer rule is because you can't always get accurate weather predictions for the backcountry. I took one trip to the NJ Pine Barrens and the weather reports predicted a low of 18* F. When I arrived at 6 pm, it was 13* F, and the overnight low was -1* F. That would be a dangerously cold, miserable night if all you had was a 20* UQ and a 30* TQ.

Definitely experiment in the back yard before venturing out in cold weather. I personally can't use reflective or double bubble pads because I get too much condensation (not to mention that it's very hard to stay on a pad in a single-layer hammock).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    A Frankenstein Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    I was hoping to cheap out on top quilt because of cost. Because I am not a pro like y’all, I won’t use this set up enough to justify spending $700 on it.

For insulation on the cheap , what about addition of an emergency blanket? I am no stranger to UP conditions and how brutal it can be...but more than likely I won’t be out in weather less than 20.

Oh and also I can shamefully retreat to my buddies heated tent if I am in a dangerous situation.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I'm with you on the cheap. Any interest in a liner for the Kelty? Fleece is as good, almost better than wool. Our local dollar store has fleece in a few thicknesses. I think I'm going to sew up a tube I can sleep inside of or just use as a double layer between me and the TQ. Reflective = condensation? Might be better with a self inflating pad that has the foam core.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I don't know if you are male or female. Females tend to sleep colder and need more insulation (this varies from person to person and I know some men who sleep cold too). So, I don't know how cold your set up might get you to.

My best suggestion is experience. Testing your gear and discovering what works for you.

I HIGHLY recommend the December Da Shack hang (in Iola, WI) because you can bail into the Shack at night at sleep on one of the beds in the 2nd story. I've done this the last two winter hangs I've been to (because I've only been winter camping for 2 years) and still working out kinks in my own winter sleep system.

PLUS, you get to see everyone else's set up and learn ways other hangers use to keep warm.

PLUS, you get to meet cool people!!!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageddon View Post
    It may be quite cold - as I plan on hanging in the UP of Michigan , northern Wisconsin and possibly y ozark mountains.
    Love to get some feedback from you pros out there. Going to be going with a buddy that upgraded to a prospectors tent with a wood stove - I want to be as warm as he is!-Emageddon
    Lot's of factors in play.

• Temps
    • Humidity
    • Wind

I slept outside for nearly 2 full seasons last year ...October-March (13°-60°+)

I just started sleeping outside again and I have found that I can use the same UQ for 6 months only changing my top quilt and a few items of clothing.

Mainly socks, head protection, and covering the foot box with a down vest.

Merino 150 tops and bottoms or something like the Costco Thermals ($8)

My results are here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2042197767

Additionally an Under Quilt Protector (UQP) is important to keep your UQ from under performing when it gets really cold.

Some folks like to layer clothing but I have found that that doesn't work for me. I change my insulation and try to wear the same sleep clothes.

Also I am not in the woods I am sleeping outside on my deck so I have the luxury of changing insulation or just going inside if I make a mistake.

It has helped me gain the confidence to take the right gear into the woods.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Winter in the Ozarks MIGHT work with an UQ protector and maybe a quilt liner. Last year we had several nights I. The teens and even in the single digits, so that won't work then u less you are a very warm sleeper and are just a tougher than normal person. I'd want something much warmer for upper Minnesota and Michigan. But hey, test, test, test, you never know. I hear folks say all the time how they hit the teens with 40 degree sets. I wouldn't call them stretchers of the truth, but I've never personally med folks that warm blooded and stubborn. I prefer to be warm.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Sounds like a typical setup I'd consider for mid summer in the Sierras. Definitely would not recommend that for winter in Michigan.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast