Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter virgin

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageddon View Post
    I was hoping to cheap out on top quilt because of cost. Because I am not a pro like y’all, I won’t use this set up enough to justify spending $700 on it.

For insulation on the cheap , what about addition of an emergency blanket? I am no stranger to UP conditions and how brutal it can be...but more than likely I won’t be out in weather less than 20.

Oh and also I can shamefully retreat to my buddies heated tent if I am in a dangerous situation.
    So I am a female but a very warm sleeper...fan on in the winter kind of person. I just bought two emergency blankets and I am thinking of running them through sewing machine to make a big “hot pocket” that I can stuff in bag. That being said I will probably take your advice and get a zero degree top quilt from hammock gear. Do you think that a 20 under and 0 on top would work?? Hopefully because I just purchased 20 UQ from hammock gear. Should I try to call them pre order fulfillment and modify???
    Can I run emergency blanket between UQ and hammock??
    WOW, a female at that! All the females in my life have been so much more cold natured than me and most of my buddies! Just goes to show you never know!

But, you want to go cheap, and go with what you already have as much as possible. So be it. It can be done, no question about it. But the main thing is: you have an emergency bail out readily available! That being the case, you can try anything!I have pushed all kinds of setups way beyond their original design, many time, both in the back yard and in the bush. But, I have always tested with an easy bailout, often ending up very surprised how far I could push so little just by adding a little augmentation here and there, usually clothing and other items.

First, and I am in the extreme minority around here on this(most guys would never consider it, or have tried it and hated it): I have put a 2 oz space blanket(sB) between my hammock and UQs since my first day winter(22F) hanging starting in Sept 2006 at 10,000-12000 ft in the Wind River Mountains of WY. This was with my HH Super Shelter(have also used this inside a Speer Pea Pod and others), for which that cheap sB was/is and integral part(of the HHSS). For me, it seems to add about 15-20F to the HHSS compared no sB, it is always easy to immediately tell the dif. Plus, it greatly reduces the condensation that otherwise would end up inside the insulation that hangs below both the hammock and the sB, and surrounded by another vapor barrier(VB) the sil-nylon undercover. The sB is ALSO a VB. The key to VB use is to keep the VB warm by keeping it close to your skin. Condensation occur when warm body vapor contacts a cold surface or fabric. The outer VB(under cover) is ice cold, the inner VB is much warmer. So for me condensation is minimal. Even if there is some condensation or sweat, it stays next to my quick drying thin polyester or wool layers, and does not enter my main insulation. Itworks like a charm, year after year, for me. But if you go this route, I highly suggest you practice and study about VB techniques. Done wrong, they will soak and freeze you. (But, you have that easy bailout, so what the heck?)

But even if that works for you as well as it does me, that would at best get you down to zero to 5F for your back side, but won't you maybe have temps well below zero? This is where a 1/2" thick CCF pad will buy you another 40*F worth of protection, if you can stay on it in your single layer hammock, and IF it does not interfere with the fit of your UQ. Both are quite questionable, but maybe. Butit certainly can be done. Caution: a pad is another VB, so keep that in mind. Many get a lot of condensation on a pad. You should get less if it is inside a hammock surrounded by an UQ(it will be kept warmer, so theoretically will give youless condensation). Another thought: can you get hold of some cheap or free open cell foam? A 5/8" thick open cell foam pad is what HH uses in their Super Shelter. Along with the sB, that has got quite a few of us into the 40s, 30s and even high 20s. So, you could add say 1/2" of open cell foam under the sB and above the UQ. Maybe a piece just long enough for upper back to butt. Or even just kidney area to butt, or even a less thick piece. Just make sure it does not interfere too much with UQ fit. If anything causes a poor fit and gap/draft on your UQ, it's game over But open cell foam is far more flexible and less likely to cause a fit problem on top of the UQ than CCF, especially if not too wide or long.

As for your 30F TQ, a sB or VB cover will have the same result as below, but you have to be able to stay under it without too much hassle, and it still needs to be close to your skin. It probably needs to bag/liner to stay inside it(far better is VB clothing IMO). Any insulation between your skin and a VB is likely to get wet and loose insulation ability! CAUTION! OTOH, a properly used VB will not only add a 15-20F to the rating(by 100% stopping evaporative cooling), but will keep your insulation much drier as the night goes on, by keeping your body vapor from condensing somewhere inside your insulation, slowly decreasing it's rating as the night goes on, and worse each night unless you have a way of drying the quilt.

Here is how I would(and have) gotten much more bang out of a 30F TQ( a long wide TQ that weighs 20 oz):
    1;A very thin quick drying layer next to my skin,
    2:then a VB shirt(or usually, for me, no separate layer(as in step 1) for next to skin, but a Stephenson's Warmlight VB shirt with fuzzy stuff lining). then a thin polyester pull over and 1 heavy fleece LL Bean jacket. There was also a thin piece of nylon blocking wind and holding in some heat. Very warm and toasty at 6F, definitely could have gone below zero. A similar approach for my legs.

Remember, wet is not cold if the wet(assuming you actually get wet) is contained next to the skin, inside a VB, and the wet does not get into your insulation. Feels better to stay dry by venting and removing layers to avoid over heating, but even if you do sweat it is not the end of the world. (notice we are now worried more about over heating! ) On that 6F night, my feet were overheating and sweating all night, what with insulated booties over wool socks over VB socks, all inside a quilt foot box. But I was too lazy to deal with it and just slept that way until the next morning. When I took all the layers off, the fuzzy stuff liner next to my skin was very damp(but dried very quickly), all other layers were bone dry.

Don't forget your head and face! Many forget how much warmth a mummy bag gives from it's hood and neck collar. find a way to add the equivalent of a thick mummy bag hood! Also, make yourself a frost bib, to suck up most of the condensation from your breath and keep it off of your quilts! Let us know what you decide, and how well it worked, and be careful! Practice, practice, practice!

https://andrewskurka.com/2011/vapor-...#comment-32045

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-VBs-and-HHSSs
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-13-2018 at 22:10.

Hammock
    A Frankenstein Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    Ha I give up. I will definitely call HG Monday and see if they will modify my order to zero UQ. Also I will cave and spend another couple bills on a zero TQ. I am short so the eno is plenty large enough.

Now as far as tarp goes- I got the 4 door fortress . Is it the thickness of tarp that rates it for more inclement weather?

Will I be ok if I upgrade tq and UQ to zeros? Should I add a sleeping pad or something?

I’ll keep my hot pocket idea for true emergencies, but I do think it’s an ok idea for survival. I got the thicker grade blanket and I roughed it up a bit and I think I can legit sew it and get in it without any tearing. So maybe I’ll just throw it into my pack in cas I get stranded somewhere.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Now as far as tarp goes- I got the 4 door fortress . Is it the thickness of tarp that rates it for more inclement weather?
    I don't think so - usually they're rated by hydrostatic head rating, but that information does not seem to appear on Chill Gorilla's website. For example, the Warbonnet Superfly, quite possibly the most popular 4-season hammock tarp, has a 2000mm hydrostatic head waterproof rating.

Chill Gorilla is a US-based vendor who sells goods made in China. There are two or three reviews of cheaper Chill Gorilla tarps, but I don't think anyone has reviewed the silnylon one. So you might be the first person to buy one of those tarps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    $20 Costco blankets are not winter-worthy by themselves, but they make amazing quilt liners. Even more amazing if you seam-rip them and make an easy snap-together footbox. That will easily raise you bag rating by 20-30F.

Hammock
    A Frankenstein Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    I just looked it up and amazon says hydrostatic head is 8000 on fortress.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    If it were me, I’d add something to the sleeping bag for topquilt like others said. More clothing and a Costco blanket will do the trick down to zero. If you have to spend more now, the UQ and UQP/sock is the way to go. It is your butt that gets cold way before your chest and toes. A small closed cell foam pad in the foot box is immediately noticeable. To cheat, boil water and add to a Nalgene bottle in a big sock. Heat for hours!
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Ha I give up. I will definitely call HG Monday and see if they will modify my order to zero UQ. Also I will cave and spend another couple bills on a zero TQ. I am short so the eno is plenty large enough.

Will I be ok if I upgrade tq and UQ to zeros? Should I add a sleeping pad or something?

I’ll keep my hot pocket idea for true emergencies, but I do think it’s an ok idea for survival. I got the thicker grade blanket and I roughed it up a bit and I think I can legit sew it and get in it without any tearing. So maybe I’ll just throw it into my pack in cas I get stranded somewhere.
    I think upgrading your UQ to a lower temp is the smartest idea. That is the toughest place to supplement. Shug(and others) do it successfully, but he has hundreds of nights experience. I would not recommend that to someone just starting their winter hammock adventures.

You can easily supplement the top quilt sleeping bag with an additional bag or blanket as long as you aren't too concerned with carrying the extra weight.

Silvrsurfr's 10° buffer rating isn't because of the lack of reliability of the UQ manufacturer's rating, but the unreliability of mother nature and the weatherman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Countrybois; 10-14-2018 at 07:50.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

With the two zero degree quilts you will be in great shape for the Ozarks even in the dead of winter. Even if you stayed with a 20/0 combo you would be OK most often here, but those northern states get a lot colder and a 0/0 combo is a safer package for anyplace where an extreme cold front could blow in.

I think you will be glad you went ahead and committed to a nice TQ to accompany your UQ. HG stuff is very nice, durable and in my mind a lot of gear for the money. If you use the gear often, I think even though it was quite a bit of money to lay out, you will never have any regrets. It also will resell if you decide it isn't for you, and premium gear has a pretty good return on investment.

Your Tarp will be fine. It is a wind/water barrier, not insulation and the thickness will help with durability and hurt with weight. It wont matter on warmth in my opinion whether it is thicker or not. Most high dollar tarps offer weight reduction and durability and some day you may find that a priority. But for now, I am sure your tarp is more than adequate.

If you haven't, be sure to watch a lot of Shug's stuff. But beware, he causes overpowering urges to buy cooler gear!

Welcome to a fun hobby and a great forum.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Back to the 10* buffer - 0* quilts will be good to 10* F, in my opinion. If you want to go any lower, consider stacking quilts.

As for combining pads with quilts, there are a few people who do it. I won't - I bought quilts so I never have to use a pad again. Condensation is a problem for me, and you should probably find out if it's a problem for you before using pad and quilt combined.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If you're car camping, which seems likely with buddy using prospector tent and wood stove, where weight and volume are not issues, just keep piling on stuff until you have enough that you remain warm.

The difficulties begin when you are carrying your kit deep into the winter woods and require gear that is lightweight AND warm AND low volume. That trifecta is nigh impossible to achieve cheaply.

As far as the kit as you've listed it... in "quite cold" conditions you're going to be suffering horribly. Glad to see you've decided to pony up for some proper quilts.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast