Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, if you follow the 10* buffer rule, you should have insulation rated to 10* F if you're camping in 20* F. Unfortunately, a space blanket probably isn't going to take your 30* TQ and 20* UQ and make that a 10* or even 20* setup. However, you'll find a small number of people (as Peppy indicated) who claim to take a 40* set to the teens.

I have never used a space blanket as a TQ supplement. Most of them are too fragile for that. I only used a space blanket taped to my pad a couple of times, and the condensation was too much for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I agree with SilvSufr. Go cheap and freeze or pay some $$ and stay warm.

Check the For Sale section of the forum for some used gear to save some $$.

What ever you do....test your set up under controlled conditions like in your back yard so you have a place to bail to in case things don't work as planned. I test all my gear in my back yard before using in the woods and there have been several nights I have escaped to the house when something did not work as I thought it would. The Terminator would ask why I came inside and I would tell her...got cold.

Many of the sleeping bags sold at the large box stores / sporting goods stores can be found with a low temperature rating but most times that is a survival rating... it will keep you alive but you will not be comfortable and or warm.

You want the UQ to have the lowest possible rating for the conditions you expect to encounter and the TQ should be rated close to it with some allowance for a margin of error in case the temps get colder than the weather forecast.

You can supplement with a UQP and or a sock. I use a Warbonnet XL sock. Set it up so if there is any wind, it is hitting side with out the door. I do not zip mine up to allow for good ventilation.

Vapor barriers like space blankets should only be used under you. If you use a vapor barrier as a blanket or in addition to a blanket and TQ you will have condensation issues as the vapor from your body sweating at night can not escape
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.6 Hexon Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    A good base layer can be an affordable way to flex your temp comfort

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageddon View Post
    Hello -

I am new to 4 season hammock camping. Looking to get out into the cold weather in Midwest a few times this winter.

Wondering if I could get feedback on my setup? Did I chose alright?

Hammock- eno single nest
    Tarp- chill Gorilla Fortress 2
    Underquilt- hammock gear Econ 20 degree fullsized
    Top quilt- an older Kelty ultra light down bag rated to 30 degrees. I am going to half zip to create a foot box and ease of entry.

I am thinking of adding a reflective pad or double bubble .

It may be quite cold - as I plan on hanging in the UP of Michigan , northern Wisconsin and possibly y ozark mountains.

Love to get some feedback from you pros out there. Going to be going with a buddy that upgraded to a prospectors tent with a wood stove - I want to be as warm as he is!

-Emageddon
    I think you are way under geared for cold weather insulation. The hammock, while small and uncomfortable, will not matter much and the tarp setup is adequate.

HG makes great stuff, I have some myself. But, if you plan on sleeping in the real cold, a 20 degree UQ is really pushing the limits. In my mind that UQ is very comfortable to 30-35 degrees and will work with some good sleepwear at 20 degrees or a bit below. But, that is with a good premium TQ rated to match. I would suggest you subtract at least 10-15 degrees for that sleeping bag.

I understand budgeting when starting out. But, don't expect to be as warm when you are trying to budget on insulation. There is a reason guys spend hundreds of dollars on the TQ/UQ setups for winter camping. Look at the experienced guy's gear on here, and note they almost all spring for high quality insulation with a few degrees of margin between the expected lows and the rating on their gear.

There are cold sleepers like me and guys who can lay on a wet blanket on an iced over pond. But that money saved doesn't look so good at 3:00AM when you are shivering in the hammock. Trust me, I have been there. It would suck to find out the hard way you are one like me who isn't immune to the cold nights.

Hammock
    A Frankenstein Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    So I am a female but a very warm sleeper...fan on in the winter kind of person. I just bought two emergency blankets and I am thinking of running them through sewing machine to make a big “hot pocket” that I can stuff in bag. That being said I will probably take your advice and get a zero degree top quilt from hammock gear. Do you think that a 20 under and 0 on top would work?? Hopefully because I just purchased 20 UQ from hammock gear. Should I try to call them pre order fulfillment and modify???

Hammock
    A Frankenstein Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    Can I run emergency blanket between UQ and hammock??

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I find the space blankets to be condensation machines. The 20UQ and 0TQ will be miles warmer than the first setup. Normally I like the colder quilt on the bottom, but if you ad the 0TQ I bet you add an easy 20+ degrees of comfort over the sleeping bag setup. That and good base layers should take you in the teens being a warm sleeper.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Yes. Be sure to test it to make sure it works for you and you do not have any condensation issues.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just bought two emergency blankets and I am thinking of running them through sewing machine to make a big “hot pocket” that I can stuff in bag.
    Did you get the $.99 mylar blankets or did you pony up a whole $5 for your emergency blanket? The mylar emergency blankets definitely aren't going to survive a night, and I doubt you'll get much more use out of a $5 emergency blanket. Getting into the emergency blanket "hot pocket," and then getting that "hot pocket" inside your TQ or sleeping bag will be extremely difficult without shredding them.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    How do you plan to keep the emergency blanket in place? It's not easy, and they're usually flimsy. While I taped mine onto a pad, I don't think you could (or would want to) tape the emergency blanket onto your ENO or UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast