Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Oh heck I dont care if I have a shower or a toilet....I can rough it for a few days....and I sure dont mind a squat behind the trees somewhere

It seems there are weekends with many things happening and then a period with nothing. For me, at least, there are times when I want to go all the activities but must choose only one. I believe the attendance would be more if there were no other hangs nearby the same weekend and no major events which might take potential attendees away from the hang. It would be even better if there were some activity near the hang such as a fall festival. I might even attend. Also many people need enough lead time to plan. August would not be the ideal time in Montgomery.

Thanks for the tips everybody I'm going to try to prepare for 10 max people and try to have a small amount of food supplied but you can bring your own, I'm probably going to spend 4 hours setting up a google doc and sharing it though! I WILL spend the full week by myself if no-one comes!!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cademan05 View Post
    Thanks for the tips everybody I'm going to try to prepare for 10 max people and try to have a small amount of food supplied but you can bring your own, I'm probably going to spend 4 hours setting up a google doc and sharing it though! I WILL spend the full week by myself if no-one comes!!
    Here's a link to a copy of one of my Google sheets. Feel free to edit all of this one for your needs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Many women hangers will not attend if showers and or flush toilets are not available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    What?!? Are you kidding me? Are you freakin' kidding me?
    Yah, kind of a blanket condemnation without much thought... maybe out of the women they know, many have to have water amenities... but that cannot be applied to most women who camp, give me a break...

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Lots of good advice already given so I'll try not to be redundant. What I would add is this:

Go to a group hang and experience one.

Read the planning threads from past hangs.

Read the trip reports from past hangs.

Engage the folks who have hosted events in the past and pick their brains, just as you've begun here.

Take what you learn and keep some, add some, and see what works best for you and your area.

Start with low expectations and just plan to have a good time, a campfire, and some conversation. Better to start simple and find success than to have grandiose plans that may frustrate when they may not turn out as expected.

There have been a ton of group hangs over the years and there's a lot of info from which to draw from here, social media, and print material.

In Texas, what started with 3 guys meeting up to hang together has grown significantly. We are about to have our 10th Annual Fall Hang. We also have had a winter and summer hang and when weather permits a couple in the spring for a number of years now. The aforementioned events have ranged in size from 5 folks from a couple of families to over 150 from multiple states. In addition there are multiple other small hangs that may be planned a few weeks out or more spontaneous for the upcoming weekend. The main thing is to get out and enjoy the trees and the company of whoever is able to join you.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    I know from my years in Scouting that a lot of moms won't come to the camps in our council that don't have flush toilets!

On the other hand, most of the women that I associate with don't fall into that category and are generally pretty comfortable in the woods. There are a few who consider "roughing it" to be a motel room lacking a color TV and/or internet!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I know from my years in Scouting that a lot of moms won't come to the camps in our council that don't have flush toilets
    The comment was about "women hangers" and I'm going to assume that those ladies from your scouting days were ground dwellers. This thread is about organizing a hammock hang. To say that "Many women hangers will not attend if showers and or flush toilets are not available." is just WRONG! I will fight anyone on this. This comment erks the crap outta me and the original poster of the comment hasn't revised it or apologized or anything.

I've never met a female hanger on here or in person who won't attend a hang because showers and flush toilets are not available. I'm sure there has to be at least one of them though, but I hate comments like these. I've attended and hosted hangs which don't have either of these amenities and others which have both. (And I concede that having such amenities can appeal to those who are new to camping, don't like to camp much, or who are glampers. I know a couple wives/girlfriends of my fellow male hangers who are like this. And I also know men who are like this too!) So, don't automatically lump us female hangers into these groups. (Some of us get quite worked up over this)

MANY female hangers WILL attend a hammock hang no matter what. (and some of us find pooping in the woods refreshing and would love to name a hang "Poop In the Woods Hang" (prod, prod.... Alifeoutdoors....make this happen...)

I apologize to Cademan05 - your thread has been hijacked because of the remarks, but I won't sit idly by while stereotypes about female hangers are accepted as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Yah, kind of a blanket condemnation without much thought... give me a break...
    Thank you!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Didn't really intend to contribute to the hijacking of the thread, but I did.

I agree. Most hammock campers, regardless of gender, don't think twice about any lack of the "comfort" amenities.

(now done with sidebar...)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Originally Posted by gunner76
    Many women hangers will not attend if showers and or flush toilets are not available.

Not trying to start a fight, just passing on some observations to the original poster on what he or she might encounter in setting up a group hang.

While many women and yes,,some men will not attend a hang unless their are facilities, many still do.( Yates Place Hang in the Uwharries NF does not have water and only has one pit toilet and does get a fair number of ladies attending. )

My wife, The Terminator is one of those who will not attend a hang unless there are flush toilets and water. There are also hangers who do not attend a group hang if there is any cost to attend and or if it is too cold or too hot or have to hike in, or they can not have adult beverages ect.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast