Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Dream Hammock has a nice simple netless hammock, the Freebird, and many color and fabric choices, lengths and widths, as well as all the additional add on's too, and a few of their own.

Like any of our cottage vendors, Papa Smurf will be glad to work one on one with you to make sure you get what you want or think you need out of a hammock.

I'm now on my second Freebird (and darned proud to have worn one out) and can recommend it with full confidence.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Let me agree with those who have already responded. I went from a 9.5 foot Walmart hammock to a Dutchware Chameleon Wide and have slept one night in a DIY 12 foot hammock with a Fronkey bug net. While the difference between the Chameleon and the DIY hammock is minimal, I'll take either of them over the Walmart 9.5 for comfort any time.

My best advice is to attend a group hang and try out a bunch of hammocks. Most of us are delighted to help and have dialed in our systems. That's what I did when my Chameleon came and it accelerated my learning curve dramatically. There's nothing better than learning from those who have already made all the mistakes

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

I also own a Dutch Chameleon. It's got a removable bugnet, which can be swapped out with a topcover, and there are a ton of accessories, and I'm sure more to come. It can be a lightweight hammock, but I think all the accessories kind of prove that is not the intention. It's a very comfortable hammock.

You might want to look at a Hammock Gear or Dutch netless hammock. Just add a Fronkey-style bottom-entry bugnet. The Dutch netless with Fronkey bugnet is my favorite hammock, and when you don't need the bugnet, leave it at home. And there are no zippers, so no possibility of failure and quick escape is possible (I hate zippers).
    +1

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    1. It probably will. I use a Chameleon as my primary hammock, and I love it. But I still occasionally use my ENO Singlenest. I'm admittedly odd in this regard, but I still find the ENO to be very comfortable—particularly for side sleeping.

2. Yeah. Don't be afraid to hang your hammock suspension higher than the tarp tie offs. (EDIT: I usually place my tree straps off center on opposite sides of the trees, which allows the tarp to be at a slight diagonal with respect to the hammock. That helps a lot.) As long as the continuous loops are covered by the tarp, you shouldn't have much to worry about. And don't be afraid to hang kinda low to the ground. Obviously, perhaps (though I consistently screw this up), the lower the hammock is, the lower the tarp can be. It's also much less cumbersome to get out of the hammock if it's not hung too high.

3. i'm not sure why everyone's discouraging the HG hammock. They make great gear, and I'm confident their hammock offering is excellent (for what my personal confidence of intuition is worth). I think you should get it and post a review here.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 10-11-2018 at 09:39.

Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    Let me agree with those who have already responded. I went from a 9.5 foot Walmart hammock to a Dutchware Chameleon Wide and have slept one night in a DIY 12 foot hammock with a Fronkey bug net. While the difference between the Chameleon and the DIY hammock is minimal, I'll take either of them over the Walmart 9.5 for comfort any time.

My best advice is to attend a group hang and try out a bunch of hammocks. Most of us are delighted to help and have dialed in our systems. That's what I did when my Chameleon came and it accelerated my learning curve dramatically. There's nothing better than learning from those who have already made all the mistakes

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

A group hang? Where can I find these? I live in Salem MA, I noticed you lived in MA as well. Where would I find this info?

Thanks!

I've looked at both the Dutchware and the HG. The dutchware is a bit more expensive compared to the HG setup. I understand that there are many options for the dutchware, but in the end, what will I really need?
    A hammock, suspension, bugnet, and tarp. I'm going to be using this for hiking and backpacking in mountainous areas. I can't see myself taking a top cover, knowing that I'm going to need and have a tarp with me anyways.

Looking at the dutchware with suspension, it looks like it run ~$200.
    The HG setup with suspension is ~$140.

I think I'd rather invest the extra $60 in a solid tarp with doors.

I'm going to give HG a call and get some more info.

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I'm definitely going to hang around these forums and see what else I can learn.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy4 View Post
    A group hang? Where can I find these? I live in Salem MA, I noticed you lived in MA as well. Where would I find this info?

Thanks!
    Group Hangs are listed in the Hangouts, Campouts and Trip Planning section. There's one this weekend at DAR State Forest in Goshen, MA.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...OCT-12-14-2018
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Honestly if you are willing to spend that much on the hammock, go with a Dutch chameleon or a warbonnet either one! Also could try dream hammocks as I have heard they are awesome. Support our cottage vendors.

Yes, in one of these you will find a huge comfort difference than the eno!
    HG IS one of "our cottage vendors!"

That said, all of my hammock purchases have been from vendors that participate here (not counting my WWII Jungle Hammock.) That is not to say that hammocks from "bigger" companies are inherently inferior. For one example, Hennessey makes some good stuff. And there are people using ENOs who are both happy and perfectly comfortable.

So with all of this great info. Which I'm going to try and compare hammocks, and weights, I'd like to stay kind of on the lighter side, but not skimp out on comfort.
    Am I looking at the correct suspension? I'm looking to upgrade mine to 5' huggers, dutch clip, Amsteel woopie, with beatle clip. I think that's about as light as you can go, and still have it support me?
    I will run a ridge line once I get things dialed in, so that I can keep that sag.

I will not be able to make this weekends group hang. Already have plans, but I will keep an eye on that section and try and get to another one close to me.

Thanks again guys!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy4 View Post
    So with all of this great info. Which I'm going to try and compare hammocks, and weights, I'd like to stay kind of on the lighter side, but not skimp out on comfort.
    Am I looking at the correct suspension? I'm looking to upgrade mine to 5' huggers, dutch clip, Amsteel woopie, with beatle clip. I think that's about as light as you can go, and still have it support me?
    I will run a ridge line once I get things dialed in, so that I can keep that sag.

I will not be able to make this weekends group hang. Already have plans, but I will keep an eye on that section and try and get to another one close to me.

Thanks again guys!
    That suspension will work fine. You could also order some UHMWPE or Spider tree straps from Dutch, and just connect to your hammock via Becket hitch. It's very light, and very simple. My entire suspension setup weighs less than 2.5oz.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast