Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Looking for advice/opinions on upgrading current gear

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my hammock setup to a HG zippered bug net, with straps, dutch clips, and woopie sling, and possible a trap to go with it all. I currently have a ENO double nest setup, that I have been using for the past 2 years. But for some reason I can never seem to get it dialed in for me. I still sleep pretty good, better than if I was on the ground.

So this past weekend I did a four day trip in the White Mountain of NH, for some reason my setup was not working very well for me, when I attached my ridge line, my hammock hung lower then my trap, and with the wind and foggy weather, I was pretty damp by morning. When I lowered my trap it was no longer tight due to interference with the hammock suspension. I did see a couple of guys with sweet set ups, and talked to them for a quick minute, they had HG and had nothing but great things to say about them.

So my questions:

1) Will going from a ENO ~9.5' hammock to a HG 11' hammock really make that much of a difference in comfort?
    2) How does everyone get a good hang, and stay close to the trap?
    3) Are there any reviews of the HG zippered hammock? I can't seem to find any videos or reviews.

Any other info would be great. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Honestly if you are willing to spend that much on the hammock, go with a Dutch chameleon or a warbonnet either one! Also could try dream hammocks as I have heard they are awesome. Support our cottage vendors.

Yes, in one of these you will find a huge comfort difference than the eno!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    As for the other question, can you set up and show a pic of how you have your tarp? Then maybe we could give some pointers on what's up

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    - Generally speaking the longer the hammock the more comfortable it will be.
    - I assume your mean tarp. For me I use a SimplyLightDesigns Winter Haven tarp so I do not have to worry as much about getting the tarp so low as it provides a lot of coverage. So you should look into more coverage in damp, wet, cold conditions.
    - I've not seen a lot of reviews of this particular hammock but any of the 11 foot cottage vendor tarps are generally very comfortable and you cant go wrong with any of them.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy4 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my hammock setup to a HG zippered bug net, with straps, dutch clips, and woopie sling, and possible a trap to go with it all. I currently have a ENO double nest setup, that I have been using for the past 2 years. But for some reason I can never seem to get it dialed in for me. I still sleep pretty good, better than if I was on the ground.

So this past weekend I did a four day trip in the White Mountain of NH, for some reason my setup was not working very well for me, when I attached my ridge line, my hammock hung lower then my trap, and with the wind and foggy weather, I was pretty damp by morning. When I lowered my trap it was no longer tight due to interference with the hammock suspension. I did see a couple of guys with sweet set ups, and talked to them for a quick minute, they had HG and had nothing but great things to say about them.

So my questions:

1) Will going from a ENO ~9.5' hammock to a HG 11' hammock really make that much of a difference in comfort?
    2) How does everyone get a good hang, and stay close to the trap?
    3) Are there any reviews of the HG zippered hammock? I can't seem to find any videos or reviews.

Any other info would be great. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks
    Not sure how tall you are but I love an 11' hammock. Used to always use a 10' but never looked back after going 11'.
    How long is your tarp along the ridgeline? How wide are the sides.There is a sweet spot to get the hammock and tarp to work together. My set-up used an 11' hammock with a ridgeline and an 11' tarp.
    Look at a Warbonnet Superfly. 11', wide sides, doors and a good price for a great shelter. It is big!
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Awesome. Thank you all for the replies. Yes I meant tarp, sorry, it was a nice long weekend, and getting back to work always makes my head spin.
    HG isn't a cottage vendor?

I'm sorry I don't have a photo, next time I get it set up, if I even use it again, I'll take a photo. But, I use the ENO Helios straps for my hammock, a 93" ridge line between the carabiners, and the tarp tied to the tree below my straps. I have line locks on my tarp.

I am 5'10" and ~200 lbs.

So a couple years ago I purchase the ENO sub 7 setup. (I didn't know much back then). I use that entire setup, but with a doublenest hammock now, and a ridge line to get a better sag.

I'm not made of money, but I'm a true believer in, "you get what you pay for". I also see a ton of "cheaper" stuff on amazon that does not look very trustworthy. I'd much rather go with a reputable company, and since the guys I ran into at the tent site had nothing but great things to say about HG, I figured it would be a great place to start.

I'm really looking for a hammock that is lightweight, yet strong, and has a bug net. But I would prefer that the bug net be removable, as I won't need it in the colder months. That would help me save space and weight. I can use my Helios straps for the time being, but I would really like to upgrade that to straps, dutch clips and amsteel woopie sling. At least that seems like a great way to go. Any suggestion on a hammock and suspension setup like this, please let me know. I'm all ears.

I'll have to upgrade my tarp as well, since my current ENO one will not fit a 11'.

Thank you all.

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Yes, HG (Hammockgear) is a cottage vendor. Loved by many here.

Hammock
    wb/dutch/dh
    Insulation
    wooki/loco libre
    Suspension
    spider web 2.0
    If you go with a Dutchware Chameleon you will have more color options, and it also comes in the Hexon 1.6 fabric + there are so many add ons to the chameleon you can really customize it. Just a thought.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't own any HammockGear hammocks, but I do own six HG quilts and an HG Winter Palace cuben fiber tarp. I would imagine they know how to make a hammock. However, their bugnet is not removable. I would also think they know how to make tarps, and the Journey is very similar to the Warbonnet Superfly.

I also own a Dutch Chameleon. It's got a removable bugnet, which can be swapped out with a topcover, and there are a ton of accessories, and I'm sure more to come. It can be a lightweight hammock, but I think all the accessories kind of prove that is not the intention. It's a very comfortable hammock.

You might want to look at a Hammock Gear or Dutch netless hammock. Just add a Fronkey-style bottom-entry bugnet. The Dutch netless with Fronkey bugnet is my favorite hammock, and when you don't need the bugnet, leave it at home. And there are no zippers, so no possibility of failure and quick escape is possible (I hate zippers).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Hammock Gear definitely is a cottage vendor!
    Otherwise, seconding what SilvrSurfr says above.

As to your questions -
    1. Yes! I went from an early ENO-ish 9' hammock to a DIY one slightly over 10', and it is a big difference in comfort. (Lately I've been curious to try an 11-footer...but that leads me to your next question)
    2. A photo will help us figure out what's going on with your tarp/hammock interference. One note - my tarp is pretty minimalist, just 10'5" long, and it works fine with my hammock. I tend not to hang in open, windy conditions, but deep in the woods. If it's wet, I get the tarp ridgeline just above the hammock, nearly touching. Sometimes some fiddling is necessary to get the hammock and tarp lines to play nice with each other.
    3. That's a tough one... might be an instance of the company's slightly generic name being a hurdle to efficient internet searching. I couldn't find any, either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast