Dreamhammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hip Pointer - Questions...

Okay, I debated for a while but I guess I'm going to toss this out there to see if anyone else has experienced it or resolved it. Yes, I can post a hammock picture... I'm using a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I've got the foot end up 6-12 inches higher than the head end. I think I'm close to a 30 degree hang on the suspension (I'll take a darn protractor out next trip in a few weeks). I'm using an HG Incubator underquilt.

Anyway, the hammock is a right hand lay. It forces me to sleep with my head on the opposite side of the shelf. After a few hours of sleeping, I wake up and my right hip (the one buried into the hammock) is sore. BTW, yes, I am a side sleeper... I can't seem to find a comfortable position to lay on my left side though as this puts my shoulders/head under the shelf and my feet are now awkwardly up against the netting or the ridge (if I go semi-fetal). The soreness rolls into the next day but does vanish with some exercise. It still reminds me though of why I went up to hammocks in the first place (to get away from hip and shoulder pointers from sleeping on pads in a tent).

Any thoughts here on what is going on? My first year with this hammock was great... but year 2 has been a struggle there and I've had it on 3-4 trips with the same issue each time now. It might be something stupid like my first year was on my back and now I'm trying to force a side-lay that just isn't feasible. Not sure about that. Could be changes to my body as I get... ahem... older... (male, upper 40's now).

Next trip is in two weeks and short of "getting a new hammock", I'd love to have a few things to try. Oh, and I am looking a new hammock (this stuff is addictive) but I'd kind of like to understand what's going on here before I invest in something else and have the same problem.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you tried a pad in the hammock lightly inflated as a test?
    Is your XLC a double layer?
    A single layer might be more comfortable for side sleeping as you have a bit more stretch/give.
    My double layer XLC seem much firmer than my single layer XLC or Eldorado.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    It's possible the hammock material may be too firm for your needs. There is a multitude of fabrics out there to strike the right balance for your preference and weight. Which BBXLC model is yours? Single layer, lightweight double, or heavyweight double?

I fluctuate anywhere from 195-205lbs, and my hammock is a single layer of Hyper D 1.6. I find the stretch to be perfect, and have never encountered hip soreness.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Its a single layer XLC. I think its back from 2015 or 2016 (before they made the latest round of changes). I can only use it with a right hand lay so when I wake up with the hip pain, I'm struggling to find a comfortable spot to fall back asleep and I can't seem to lay on the left hand side to see if perhaps its my right hip "out of wack" or perhaps the hammock itself causing the problems.

If no one else has had this issue, I'm thinking maybe its me as it wasn't like that a year ago...

Anyway, I could try it with a pad and see, I've got a few inflatables around... BTW, thanks for responding! I was actually watching your video on calf ridge pain an hour ago to see if there is something in there that may apply.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Probably should add in there too that a year ago or so, I was up around 180 but I dropped some (unnecessary) weight and am now down to a nice 165. Height is 5'10" if that matters too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    My only suggestion would be to try a pad with your hammock and/or try other hammocks. I love my Warbonnet RidgeRunner as it's a flat lay and allows you to lay on either side and still be flat. I flop like a fish on a dock at night so a single lay hammock just doesn't work for me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unicornv007 View Post
    Probably should add in there too that a year ago or so, I was up around 180 but I dropped some (unnecessary) weight and am now down to a nice 165. Height is 5'10" if that matters too.
    Haaa.....now you just have an un-padded boney hip!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unicornv007 View Post
    Its a single layer XLC. I think its back from 2015 or 2016 (before they made the latest round of changes). I can only use it with a right hand lay so when I wake up with the hip pain, I'm struggling to find a comfortable spot to fall back asleep and I can't seem to lay on the left hand side to see if perhaps its my right hip "out of wack" or perhaps the hammock itself causing the problems.

If no one else has had this issue, I'm thinking maybe its me as it wasn't like that a year ago...

Anyway, I could try it with a pad and see, I've got a few inflatables around... BTW, thanks for responding! I was actually watching your video on calf ridge pain an hour ago to see if there is something in there that may apply.
    Even a small Thermarest Sit-Pad under your hip may solve it.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Haaa.....now you just have an un-padded boney hip!
    So my simple solution would be to put on more weight again...? (/starts looking at the BBQ place outside my window).

I think I'll try the pad solution first before I try the adding weight solution.

Indoors or out? Being past skeeter season up north, it shouldn't affect my suggestion: take the net off and try sleeping "left." Find out if your left hip reacts at all. Is it possible that you've experienced some minor injury to your right hip and it only bothers you when you sleep on it?

I agree that a less stiff hammock might be easier on the hips for some side sleepers. My XLC is about as stiff as they come. I like a firm hammock. It's asym right and, although I try to sleep mostly on my back, I sometimes need to shift to sleeping on my right side. So far, no hip discomfort but that's only me...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast