Outdoor Vitals Mummy Pod

New to hammocks. Has anyone used this product? Looking for pros and cons. Thanks

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Petitt View Post
    New to hammocks. Has anyone used this product? Looking for pros and cons. Thanks
    I got a mummy pod awhile back to try it out--and, full disclosure, sent it right back after trying it. I probably used it for an hour and knew, ummm, no, this isn't for me.

The mummy pod, for all intents and purposes, is a sleeping bag that surrounds the hammock.

Pros: It is simple, uses less material than having separate UQ, TP, etc., and probably less expensive since it is all one part rather than multiple parts, there is also less chance for air gaps to let the cold air in.

Cons: It requires a single hammock, laid out much tighter (to get to a flatter lay), feels very confined when in it, doesn't allow for a side lay, need to lay straight, might be okay if a back sleeper and don't mind sleeping in a sleeping bag up in the air. Oh, it was warm, I didn't keep it long enough to figure out how to vent it.

It wasn't for me...

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petitt View Post
    I have only second hand info but this product isn't as "quality" as our cottage vendors according to a fellow I know who got one. He said that the down used to fill his wasn't enough to even loft effectively, and that he could see daylight right through the bag. Then when he called to complain and see what could be done he couldn't get the company to respond. They finally responded after he left a note on Amazon about his displeasure and they gave him the run around the whole time. Bottom line - He said it was the worst product he ever bought due to the poor customer service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    First strike - It's Outdoor Vitals (Chinese goods, though might be American-owned).
    Second strike - No way you're getting a diagonal lay with that bag. It's banana lay or nothing
    Third strike - if you watch their videos, they simply don't know much about hammocks. I watched several of their videos before deciding I would never buy anything from them.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Beetles
    I agree with everything said so far. I got one and you cannot lay diagonally. It wraps around you pretty tight. I think mine is rated at 30 deg, it's synthetic, and I was cold in Phoenix in the mountains in September in the low 50s.

While they are based in Utah, and seem like good people, the manufacturing in China is kind of sad. It's good to offer low-cost gear to get people outside, but in the end it could deter people if the quality is not high enough.

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    I have an OV single hammock. It's too small. I will upgrade and let my children use it.

I think you're getting the right advice here. The mummy pod looks like it forces you to lay like a banana, and that can't be good.

I don't hate on OV like some people here seem to, but when I listened to the company owner talk about how you can comfortably lay straight in a hammock, I was pretty much done.

They're tarp has served as a good product for me.

Images
    A Speer Pea Pod( now from Tree to Tree Trail Gear or TTTG ) is an awesome product for keeping warm. Pretty much guaranteed, simple, draft proof, and really not any heavier than 1 full length UQ + 1 TQ, IMO, probably more efficient than most approaches on the bottom, but with at least a potential draw back with the TQ function due to the side edges of wider or deeper hammocks tendency to raise the TQ part above me, creating a gap. But, also an easily filled gap which when filled just makes it an even warmer than rated quilt. And a very minimal problem for me with the narrow hammocks I prefer to use it with, such as a Claytor No Net or a Switchback. Or with wider, deeper hammocks when I plan to fill the top gap anyway at temps below the rating.

And no problems for me laying at a diagonal, at least the amount of diagonals I use. But they are a good bit more expensive than the product from the OP, and I don't know whether or not a person can even still get one. But Shug has certainly proved the advantages of a pod approach for the most severe conditions imaginable, using a DIY version starting with a WM 20F bag for the outer pod, adding inner layers as needed for WAY below zero.

I don't know about the product in question, but a pod approach- with the right hammock- is the bomb.

http://www.tttrailgear.com/speer-peapod/

• + New Posts