Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New to hammocks. Need some recommendations

Like the title says new to hammocks. Need some advice. What size hammock, tarp, and sleep bag? I will mainly use this for hunting elk in Colorado during the archery season next year. I’ve been 3 times in a tent and hated it. No level ground. The temps range from mid 30’s in the morning to mid 50’s in the afternoon. I’m 6’2” and 240lbs. Looking for something light weight for backpacking. Would like to have a tarp big enough to close the ends up at head and feet if it starts to rain. Any help will be appreciated and pics especially. Thanks

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Since you say you are new to hammocks I would suggest you start HERE Shug's videos for new folks will walk you through most of the challenges, educate you, and entertain you at the same time.

You will get many, many, many recommendations because each of us are different. What works for me will probably not work for you. Tarps are kind of the same way. Many of the cottage vendors here make great tarps.

You might also want to Google The Ultimate Hang. Derek does a great job of explain many things about hammocks, doing product reviews, and he does much of it via pictures/drawings.

Good luck with your journey.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe look for an 11' hammock. All the vendors on here make wonderful hammocks.
    Need a bug-net? Decide that. Netted hammocks.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dbEiL-K3lJksKA

Tarp. Cant beat the Warnonnet Superfly for size, doors and price.

Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Cant go wrong with the Info already given, Specially cant go wrong with the shug videos

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    Warbonnet is a Colorado Company too, if you want to keep your $$ local to Colorado, if you live there as as well as hunt there.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Get a Long, Wide quilt if you decide a quilt will work better for you (most hammock hangers do). I prefer Enlightened Equipment Revelation, but there are many other good ones.

Get a Long (for folks up to 6'6") if you stay with a bag. Bags require gymnastics lessons in a hammock.

If by Light weight you really mean it, then Hammock Gear's Winter Palace dyneema tarp is what you want. I love mine.

I prefer separate hammocks + bugnets, and Dutch's netless + bugnet are my recommendations.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG top and bottom
    Suspension
    Kevlar Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Petitt View Post
    Like the title says new to hammocks. Need some advice. What size hammock, tarp, and sleep bag? I will mainly use this for hunting elk in Colorado during the archery season next year. I’ve been 3 times in a tent and hated it. No level ground. The temps range from mid 30’s in the morning to mid 50’s in the afternoon. I’m 6’2” and 240lbs. Looking for something light weight for backpacking. Would like to have a tarp big enough to close the ends up at head and feet if it starts to rain. Any help will be appreciated and pics especially. Thanks
    Whats your budget like?

Quote Originally Posted by Petitt View Post
    I'm just down the road from you. If you'd like to see my setup and lie down in it, PM me here and we can come up with a time and place.

Otherwise, I'll join the chorus and suggest a basic 11-foot netless hammock. At your height and weight, probably go with 1.6 fabric which would give you a decent combination of light weight and strength. Since weight is an issue, go with whoopie slings for suspension along with 6-foot tree straps. The temperature range is perfect for the ubiquitous 20-degree quilt sets. Again, for weight reasons go with down. The tarp is going to be where you get a wide range of opinions. To cut down the wind you'll need a fairly full size tarp, though you could go with a hex or cat-cut version to shave an ounce or two. However, you might be better served getting a tarp with doors, which is going to be larger and thus heavier but keeps the wind off better.

Prices for all this are going to set you back, no question about it, but you'll have a setup that you can depend on for years.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    I’m also nearby over in Forsyth. I’d be glad to meet you and let you compare my gear to sidney’s. I’ve got a WBBB XLC, Dutchware Chameleon, WB Superfly, and HG and Arrowhead quilts. It would allow you to see the differences and may help choosing or eliminating some gear. Agree with others. Shug’s videos and Derek’s Ultimate Hang will get you up to speed.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    Whatever you buy, try hanging close to home before using it on a big trip. It took me at least three times before I was happy with my setup (but maybe I'm slow...).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast