Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jacks-R-Better and VPN's (Virtual Private Networks)

JrB is not letting me onto their website, apparently because I'm using a VPN. VPN's are used to prevent tracking via "cookies" and other spyware. Does anyone know what tihis is about?

Why not skip using the VPN on the website or just shoot them an email here since you can't access it:

"For General Inquires, Comments or Questions feel free to email us directly at [email protected] ".
    Last edited by michigandave; 10-07-2018 at 20:00.

Images
    I can contact them with my VPN on, usually, Maybe that is because I already contacted them before I got a VPN? though I did have trouble one time. but I often have trouble connecting thru my VPN, then later I don't.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice'n Snow View Post
    JrB is not letting me onto their website, apparently because I'm using a VPN. VPN's are used to prevent tracking via "cookies" and other spyware. Does anyone know what tihis is about?
    You're not really describing a VPN accurately. According to Wikipedia,

"A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network, and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. Applications running across a VPN may therefore benefit from the functionality, security, and management of the private network."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

JacksRbetter.com is on the public network (i.e., the Internet). If you can't access their website, it's probably due to your VPN. Are you using a corporate VPN? Can you turn the VPN off and access JacksRBetter then?

I doubt seriously that JacksRBetter can do anything about your VPN issue.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-07-2018 at 22:22.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Jacks-R-Better and VPN's (Virtual Private Networks)

Some sites specifically block VPN users from accessing their pages. Craigslist is one example I've run into a bunch of times. I'll often have to shut off my VPN to access CL.

I just turned on my VPN on my phone and was able to access the JRB website from an anonymous Florida IP. I also tried one from California and one from the UAE with no issues.

Then I went back to Florida and tried Craigslist... and got in. Maybe they're not able to detect that IP as anonymized. But in any case, I had no issues with JRB's website via VPN.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    I can access just fine. Perhaps they only deny certain locations. Mine usually originates from Florida (im in ny).

I have had multiple vendors, not just hammock related, deny service due to VPN use for a multiple reasons. To protect themselves as well as the card owner. Jrb could be doing just the same.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Jacks R Better sold out awhile back. Maybe the new owner switched the site around? Gish, I am so computer literate I am unable to hazard a guess as to any technical possibilities. Sadly LOL.

I have not received anything fron Jacks R Better since the sell out or change of ownership.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 10-08-2018 at 11:02.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    The short version is probably this: it's not Jacks R Better's fault.

Almost no VPN service that is affordable assigns a dedicated IP address to a specific user, instead, they have a pool of IP addresses dynamically assigned as users open tunnels. This is standard practice for consumer Internet access, and all ISPs use various dynamic IP addressing schemes for consumer services (dedicated IP addresses cost more).

Website hosting providers have a desire to block malicious traffic to their client's sites. Because there are so many possible attacks from so many possible sources, almost every hosting company outsources some part of this to a provider of so-called whitelist and blacklist services. These companies monitor reports of malicious activity, and if they see it arising from a particular IP address, they will blacklist that IP. At that point, every client of that company starts blocking all access from that malicious IP. It is usually not up to the website owner to deal with this - it happens between their hosting company and the 3rd-party blacklist service.

It also happens that a lot of malicious activity originates by people attempting to obscure their identity by using a VPN service, so it is very common for whole blocks of IP addresses used by VPN providers to end up on a blacklist. Especially so-called "non-logging" VPN providers like Nord and Private Internet Access. The fact that they don't log the actual IP address of the user is one of the reasons they are preferred by malicious actors. Once an IP is on a blacklist, web access while using that VPN becomes very spotty and usually drops for all the major services like Google, Netflix, etc.

There are really only a few things to do to avoid this:

1. Turn off the VPN for specific sites you want to access and that you trust. Some VPN clients allow you to create your own whitelist and will route traffic to certain sites outside the VPN tunnel.
    2. Try connecting to a different geographic region for your VPN provider. This will sometimes get you into a different IP block that hasn't been blacklisted.
    3. Use your VPN provider's support. They know who the blacklist vendors are and can often get an IP or a block of IPs unlisted if they try.
    4. Try a different VPN provider. A "logging" VPN provider offers less privacy from Government tracking but also ends up with many fewer IP addresses blocked because of this.
    5. Wait a while. Maybe a long while. IP addresses don't stay on blacklists forever and once blocked get much less use and sometimes drop off blacklists after a few weeks or months.
    6. Hope. VPN vendors know this is an issue and are constantly refreshing their IP address blocks. Eventually, a new block comes online and the addresses are clean for a few days or weeks before some bad actors spoil it for everyone else.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice'n Snow View Post
    Hi, I just doubled checked and we do not block VPNs. It is probably an IP issue somewhere in between.

If you are uncomfortable accessing the site without the VPN please feel free to give us a call and we can answer any questions you may have. 215-220-4042.

-Don
    Last edited by DGrav; 10-08-2018 at 17:59.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Can you post the actual error message you're seeing? Most sites don't block VPN. It's usually the provider of your VPN blocking the site.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast