Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing + knots

The NEXT hammock..?

Hi team-

I've been pondering, as you do, whether I'd be better off with a different hammock. At 6'2", I know I'm pushing the limits of my original 10' Blackbird DL - but I love that it's 20 oz. I've considered upgrading to the XLC, or a RR, or one of the 11' Dream hammocks... I sleep pretty well in the Blackbird, but maybe not as comfortably as my old Thermarest Slacker Double - a shorter hammock, but more width = a pretty flat lay for me. Any other tallish people try both the BB and the XLC? Is there that big a difference in comfort?

I've purchased hammocks from both vendors you mention as well as from Dutch. I've never used a bridge. There's a great vid out there comparing the XLC, Sparrow, and Chameleon. All of these GE hammocks are highly regarded. I think the BB may be a bit more sensitive than most in terms of getting the foot end high enough to get the most comfortable lay. I believe that once you get it right, the criticism goes away.

I like the upgrades that Brandon has done to the XLC. Might need to replace my older one...

I love the custom options that the Smurfs offer. I'm coveting a Sparrow... (and maybe a Darien!)

I believe Dutch offers the most in optional, after purchase add-ons. That new zipper is waaay cool. Might need a Chameleon at some point...

I think it comes down to what features you want/need and what your fabric preference is.

You may want wider, but you may find it unnecessary with an 11 footer.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by JCase View Post
    I sleep pretty well in the Blackbird, but maybe not as comfortably as
    what is the issue? if it's calf ridge, then adding more length can definitely help. sometimes, fiddling with the length of the ridgeline really helps some folks

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing + knots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    what is the issue? if it's calf ridge, then adding more length can definitely help. sometimes, fiddling with the length of the ridgeline really helps some folks
    I think the issue isn't calf ridge (I can pretty much eliminate it with the right hangle, foot end well above the head) so much as my head and toes being pressed inward on either side. It's most pronounced with an underquilt on. Essentially, when lying flat on my back, head left, feet right, there's some pressure on my right foot/toes, and some on the left side of my head. I wonder if the added material in the XLC would alleviate that a bit.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Sounds like you have the same issue I do when using an underquilt. I have standard width and as wide as possible hammocks. The original BB, the XLC , a Sparrow and a Thunderbird. ALL of them give me issue when I use a UQ. I have tried not tightening up the UQ so much but then I get sag and cold spots. I think the current design of UQ's can (not always or for everyone) restrict the ability to go diagonal. My issue is not so much at my feet but I end up with bad outside shoulder and head squeeze.
    So, I don't think it is really the width of the hammock causing you the issue but rather the cut and or connection of the underquilt. I was thinking about getting a Wookie and seeing if this diagonal cut helps with this.

Good luck - will be watching to see if you come up with a solution
    Dave

I have the same issue of laying diagonal with my UQ on my chameleon as well. I'm a bit shorter though and still get a good lay

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    I’m only 5’11” but I have the same issue with standard underquilts (HG Phoenix) with gathered ends*. However I picked up a used wooki for my xlc and that problem is gone. I think warbonnets design on their underquilt really takes that problem away.

(*i still prefer my ridge runner for comfort)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing + knots
    Yeah, I laid in mine again today without the UQ and think you're all hitting it dead on. Might need to trade for a Wookie.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBXLC
    Tarp
    SF, Mamajamba, CB
    Insulation
    Wooki; Ridge CK XL
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    The Wooki is so easy to install and once attached you don’t notice it under the hammock. It doesn’t change my lay at all. But as Andy Bullock says and I agree, the ridgerunner is more comfortable for me also.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wooki is a winner and no pressure on feet what-so-ever.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast