Wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles

Using a 12 foot tarp over a tensa4 stand

I was all set to order the tato stand but they are out of stock. In the meantime it looks like the tensa4 has come onto the market with a bang and I can see why. It has a lot going for it. It’s lighter, more compact, less of a foot print and even less $. Also I can order one now with no wait

However the whole thing looks like it’s on the small side. Mainly it looks like my 12 foot ugq winter dream would have a lot of sag and it would have poor clearance over the wbbb xlc. Also it looks like the hammock itself would hang low. I’m 6’4” and sometimes it’s not easy being XL in a M/L world which seems to be the case here. If the legs were just 6 inches longer I think I would feel better

The tato stand looks to be taller overall and with a 13 foot ridge pole it looks like setting a taut tarp would be much easier at the expense of being heavier and bulkier

Both stands look to be well designed and well built
    I’m having a hard time making a decision here

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Do you read the main thread of the dynafly tensa 4 thread? Both those discuss tarp extensions for a 12ft set up. I don't know when it's going to be official but it's easy to rig a pole to the apex. I'm sure you could email the company for an update.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Yeah Windvane, can't you keep up with the 38 active Tensa/Tensahedron/Tensa4 threads on 6 different places on the internet?

The quick and dirty way is to choke up any excess tarp length and pull it through the little "V" at apexes where the poles cross, then guy out. Can't find the recent user photo of same. It's not pretty but works fine. Better solution that also provides extra headroom are the tarp extensions we are actively developing. Design's pretty set; we're working on how to source/produce them most sensibly in volume. Couple few months?

12' hammock has been tested. 6'4" user is tested. The combination? Not to my knowledge. I think it will work. It may come to a compromise between optimal seat height and generous head/foot clearance of the poles: pick one. We have a 30-day return policy and would be grateful for anything learned.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Using a 12 foot tarp over a tensa4 stand

This is a 12' DIY hammock, attached directly to the apexes, no suspension. There's a 16" seat height. Head and foot clearance for a 6'4" person with these parameters depends on how diagonal you lay. You can get quite diagonal (say, 45° in a wide hammock) if you can accept a lower seat height, but a more typical 30° off banana is fine.

The tilt of the stand is such that there tends to be more foot clearance than head. If you lessen the tilt of the stand to even out/maximize clearance for a very tall person, getting in and out can feel uncomfortably close to the tipping point, so this is another case underlining the importance of the head tether or substantial counterweight.

Last edited by Latherdome; 10-07-2018 at 16:56.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    This is a 12' DIY hammock, attached directly to the apexes, no suspension. There's a 16" seat height. Head and foot clearance for a 6'4" person with these parameters depends on how diagonal you lay. You can get quite diagonal (say, 45° in a wide hammock) if you can accept a lower seat height, but a more typical 30° off banana is fine.

The tilt of the stand is such that there tends to be more foot clearance than head. If you lessen the tilt of the stand to even out/maximize clearance for a very tall person, getting in and out can feel uncomfortably close to the tipping point, so this is another case underlining the importance of the head tether or substantial counterweight.

Did you mean to attach a photo here?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Did you mean to attach a photo here?
    I did. It shows in Tapatalk but not via web browser. Huh. Attaching again here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --

Thank you Latherdome for the visual.

• + New Posts