Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageX89 View Post
    So the real, and original, question still stands. How do you go about sizing a DIY hammock to a child?
    I wouldn't size a hammock for a child, just like I wouldn't size a bed for a child. Give them a twin bed and be done with it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    My 'rule' is 2x your height for max comfort.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I say just go 11'. I don't think shorter would be more comfortable, even for a kid, and the majority of people will tell you 11' is more comfortable than a shorter hammock (despite how many people you see using enos in the wild). And there's not a big price difference. I just don't see much of a downside. I'd make it an 11' and call it a day unless you have a compelling reason not to.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hers the link where I found the 4 foot rule. Again, I'm just looking for opinions. Not claiming anything.

https://sectionhiker.com/camping-ham...how-to-choose/
    I've personally never heard of the 4 ft. rule. Then again, I don't rely on sectionhiker.com for my hammock information. Based on their list of hammocks, I'd say they're not much interested in cottage industry hammocks (with Warbonnet the only one listed).

Their list only shows two hammocks that are 11 ft., as well, so they're only looking at ENO-type hammocks.

My girls all have 11' foot hammocks and it's all I make. That way they're all interchangeable/loanable.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    My girls all have 11' foot hammocks and it's all I make. That way they're all interchangeable/loanable.
    I agree - a hammock is a hammock. I don't see why you would make a kid-sized hammock and an adult-sized hammock. How are you supposed to tell them apart, write the length on them? Make them all the same size, and then a hammock is a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I wouldn't size a hammock for a child, just like I wouldn't size a bed for a child. Give them a twin bed and be done with it.
    I have to agree with SilverSurfer on this. I made one for my daughter that was 11'. She is 9 and is barely 4' tall. Being bigger than she needs isn't a problem, but being too small would be. Unless you are really sticking to a very strict budget, you are only talking about probably 5-8$ for another yard of fabric. Who cares make it bigger.

From my experience larger only means better more comfortable, flatter lay. I say make it 11'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
    The vast majority of hammocks I see in the wild are Eno brand or similar, which are usually less than 11' long. So, many people must be finding comfort in shorter hammocks.
    So the real, and original, question still stands. How do you go about sizing a DIY hammock to a child?
    Of course, children grow.

The famous Ed Speer, who may be the #1 guy to get all of this hammock camping going, wrote in his book about DIY hammocks. His formula was height + 2 ft. I know, shocking isn't it? So for a 6 footer like me, that would be an 8 ft hammock. The Speer hammock that I still have was his longest, called an 8.5. But I think he later called the same hammock a 9 footer, based on how several other companies measured their hammocks, and he decided by their standards his was really a 9 footer.

Back in "the old days", the Speer hammocks were considered extremely comfy by many. As a 6 footer, I always found I had a little bit of knee extension on my back(cured by a knee pillow) but amazingly, no calf ridge. And I don't think it was optimum for side sleeping with legs straight, but in fetal it was one of the best.

My 2 fav non bridge hammocks are the 10 ft Claytor and Switchback. So that would be 6ft + 4 ft. But as you see, many prefer 11 ft hammocks, so you might want to go that route.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Why would you make the hamock shorter? To save $5 of fabric?

Build their hammock for full sized adults. They'll share when they're small and grow into them quickly. With due respect to pgibson, One hammock can indeed last them into adulthood.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast