Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch

Hammock Length: the 4 foot rule?

Good morning internet's!
    Here's the issue. I'm making 3 hammocks this weekend, on for my buddy and each of his kids. My buddy has requested a full 11 ft hammock like mine, lots of room and super flay lay for him. Now for his kids, they are obviously shorter and I want the hammocks to last into their adulthood and still be comfortable. The kids clearly don't need a full 11 ft hammock.
    In doing so research on hammock length, I cam across this 4 ft rule. Stating that 'idealy' your hammock should be 4 ft longer than you are. Ex: I'm 6'6" and should have a 10'6" hammock. I actually use a 11'3" and it's perfect.
    Have y'all ever heard of or used the 4ft rule? Any thoughts?
    Now in regards to the kids, the chances of them breaking or getting near 6' tall are slim. So if I did a 9-10 ft hammock for each, I think that would work. (Probably closer to 10'.
    Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'll be making hammocks for my nieces (4 and 7 years old) and would like the hammock to last until adulthood. I have heard of the four foot rule.

I decided on an 11 foot hammock for both of them because:

1 - there's not much difference in cost between an 11ft and 9-10 foot hammock
    2 - if they ever want to sell it, an 11 foot would be easier to sell (in my opinion)
    3 - I'm only 5'6" and I still use an 11 ft hammock
    4 - I've not heard that a longer hammock hurts comfort, but a shorter one can
    5 - you can always shorten a hammock, but not lengthen it later
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    In the 6 or so years that my son has been hanging full time in his room, he has gone through a couple hammocks. Kids wear out hammocks and the thought that it will last into adulthood is not very likely. When we changed out his last hammock for the current one I could hardly believe the old one was still holding him. Meanwhile, his older brother trashed the hammock he had been using in under a year...he wanted to be a bit too wild and play in it more than have it to replace his bed. Point being hammocks for kids should be considered something you will likely replace on a schedule if they are A. Growing much and or B. Having fun.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch
    Good points all. I'm thinking of cutting off 1ft from the 12 feet I have for each of the kits and using that for making the stuff sacks. This'll give them 10' hammocks.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageX89 View Post
    Good morning internet's!
    Here's the issue. I'm making 3 hammocks this weekend, on for my buddy and each of his kids. My buddy has requested a full 11 ft hammock like mine, lots of room and super flay lay for him. Now for his kids, they are obviously shorter and I want the hammocks to last into their adulthood and still be comfortable. The kids clearly don't need a full 11 ft hammock.
    In doing so research on hammock length, I cam across this 4 ft rule. Stating that 'idealy' your hammock should be 4 ft longer than you are. Ex: I'm 6'6" and should have a 10'6" hammock. I actually use a 11'3" and it's perfect.
    Have y'all ever heard of or used the 4ft rule? Any thoughts?
    Now in regards to the kids, the chances of them breaking or getting near 6' tall are slim. So if I did a 9-10 ft hammock for each, I think that would work. (Probably closer to 10'.
    Thoughts? Thanks!

This makes no since to me as 96.7% of people recommend an 11' hammock for comfort, you that logic then 96.7% are 7' tall. Maybe the rule should be the 5' or 5 1/2' rule.

I think that rule like the statistics used in this post are made up with no grounding in any real research.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    This makes no since to me as 96.7% of people recommend an 11' hammock for comfort, you that logic then 96.7% are 7' tall. Maybe the rule should be the 5' or 5 1/2' rule.

I think that rule like the statistics used in this post are made up with no grounding in any real research.
    The vast majority of hammocks I see in the wild are Eno brand or similar, which are usually less than 11' long. So, many people must be finding comfort in shorter hammocks.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch

Hammock Length: the 4 foot rule?

Hers the link where I found the 4 foot rule. Again, I'm just looking for opinions. Not claiming anything.

https://sectionhiker.com/camping-ham...how-to-choose/
    Last edited by SavageX89; 10-05-2018 at 11:48. Reason: Included link to my source

Quote Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
    The vast majority of hammocks I see in the wild are Eno brand or similar, which are usually less than 11' long. So, many people must be finding comfort in shorter hammocks.
    Or they haven't discovered that there MAY be more comfort to be had!

Images
    Many folks that I see in Eno or similar are:

- Using them for lounging, with a tent set up somewhere nearby (or they are lounging in their yards at home)
    - Laying in them banana-style
    - Often fairly young
    - Perhaps unaware that there are more comfortable options out there

or they have set up their Eno spanning a cliff or whitewater rapids, or they are bunking 20 hammocks with the top one 70' up in the air.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch
    So the real, and original, question still stands. How do you go about sizing a DIY hammock to a child?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast